Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Kenda Nevegal-X Pro!

Has anyone heard any indications of when these will be available? .... looks like a winner to me!

Revealed: Kenda Nevegal-X Pro Tires | Mountain Bike Review

jrm
    mtbr member
    Why wont they give us a 27.5 blue groove? I realy want to try the Nev peat mod.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    I tried the Peaty mod earlier this year after reading all the hype for a long time, and I was thoroughly underwhelmed. Maybe it's an improvement for people riding loam or something, but in my loose over hardpack and rough limestone trails I couldn't discern any benefit at all.

I'm interested in the X Pro because the new tubeless casing is pretty nice ( got it on some honey badgers ) and because the updates sound like they address everything I would like to see different about the Nev's. I think the rounder shape will be a nice complement to my new super wide Derby rims, and the existing nevegal sizes are already really good for my bike....they just roll slow and the the cornering knobs are a little too tall and squirmy in a 2.1 on the rear.

mtbr member
    Bacon - how are the Honey Badgers?
    I thought they would be a good rear w/ the new NevX up front.

Dissolved member
    Honey Badger gave a s**t about Nevegal and their love child's ugly name is Nevegal X. I cannot wait to try the Badger, I ordered one a few days ago and it should be arriving soon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Why are these tires so heavy? For a tire that is only slightly bigger than a 26"tire, they are only slightly lower weight than a 29" tire. I have noticed this about a number of other 27.5" tires as well. I have HR II-860grams, and 2 Schwalbe Nobby Nic's ~750grams. Honey Badger is almost bald but is pretty heavy?

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Those weights aren't heavy for having a non-flimsy, durable sidewall, IMO.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Agreed. Haven't seen the HB to check the sidewalls, but I am running Maxxis w/ EXO protection and being able to roll into a rock garden at speed and not worry about shredding a sidewall is worth the weight penalty. IMHO, of course.

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinrod42 View Post
    Why are these tires so heavy? For a tire that is only slightly bigger than a 26"tire
    Only slightly bigger... like this only slightly bigger... http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/650...l#post10699234

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm not sure why people are excited over another Nevegal... the only thing the regular Nevegals have going for them is price. Otherwise, they're horribly slow and can't corner worth a damn. There are SO many tires on the market better than these.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    It's would be the price, and hopes that they seriously improved it because it was such a dud. Like a fresh college team or something.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    Bacon - how are the Honey Badgers?
    I thought they would be a good rear w/ the new NevX up front.
    I don't think I can give a fair review because I was putting them on a new 29er HT for my son, so I've only put about 10 miles off-road on not just an unfamiliar bike, but an unfamiliar type of bike, since I'm riding 5" travel ful sus 650b. But my impressions were that Kenda hit the mark for a tire that can do it all relatively well and not give a frack. The casing, rubber compound, and general quality of tire seems improved over the ole Nevegal, and they do definitely roll better than the Nevegals that my buddy has front and rear on his 29HT. They didn't have loads of straight line climbing or braking traction in loose over HP, which is to be expected with the shallow center lugs, but cornering seemed pretty good, and I think they'll make sense for a lot of people, especially as a faster rolling rear that still has decent cornering grip.

Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Honey Badger gave a s**t about Nevegal and their love child's ugly name is Nevegal X. I cannot wait to try the Badger, I ordered one a few days ago and it should be arriving soon.
    Looking forward to your impressions.

Quote Originally Posted by rockinrod42 View Post
    Why are these tires so heavy? For a tire that is only slightly bigger than a 26"tire, they are only slightly lower weight than a 29" tire. I have noticed this about a number of other 27.5" tires as well. I have HR II-860grams, and 2 Schwalbe Nobby Nic's ~750grams. Honey Badger is almost bald but is pretty heavy?
    I don't think I'd call it bald...it's got MUCH more cornering rubber than IKONs, X-Kings, and other tires like that that have similar center knob heights.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Those weights aren't heavy for having a non-flimsy, durable sidewall, IMO.
    yup

Agreed. Haven't seen the HB to check the sidewalls, but I am running Maxxis w/ EXO protection and being able to roll into a rock garden at speed and not worry about shredding a sidewall is worth the weight penalty. IMHO, of course.
    yup yup

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I'm not sure why people are excited over another Nevegal... the only thing the regular Nevegals have going for them is price. Otherwise, they're horribly slow and can't corner worth a damn. There are SO many tires on the market better than these.
    I respectfully disagree. I've read all the Nevegal hate, and tried other tires, and keep coming back to the Nevegal as an affordable (which is important because I ride a lot and in rough conditions that are hard on tires....can't afford a $200/month tire budget), reliable and predictable-cornering do it all aggressive trail tire in 650b x 2.35. They do roll slow as a rear tire, and I don't use them there, and I don't like the 2.1 at all front or rear.... but the 650b x 2.35 in front is better in my trail conditions than everything else I've tried over the last couple years. I don't think they're perfect by any stretch, and now there are a lot of new/upcoming 27.5's I'm looking forward to trying like the High Roller II, Conti Mtn King and Trail King (which I L.O.V.E. love in 26"). I can't get too excited about a Hans Dampf that won't be any lighter, costs 50% more, and won't last as long, which is what trustworthy sources tell me to expect.
    What do you like for a front 650b tire, and why? and what are your trails and riding style like? Not a challenge, genuinely interested because I'm on a chronic & compulsive quest for better tires.
    Have you read anything about the Nev-X? They're addressing the very issues you raise.... it's really a whole new tire that's just taking over the name from the old one and also has ramped center lugs.

In particular I'm interested now because the new casing and compound seemed very promising on the HBadgers, and the rounder profile and redesigned cornering lugs will be really nice, I think, on my new super wide Derby rims. With my usual Nev 2.35 up front, the wide rims make the tread a little too flat IMO, and make the cornering knobs engage a little too early for my taste... I may adapt with more time on them, but that's my feeling at this point. The lower rolling resistance would be a bonus, and might make the 2.1 a viable rear tire with some decent traction & lug depth on my limited-clearance bike.... I go through 2.1 Neo Motos and 2.25 snake skin racing ralphs way too fast, and the rolling resistance & grip on those is great for hardpack but a little lacking everywhere else.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    What do you like for a front 650b tire, and why? and what are your trails and riding style like? Not a challenge, genuinely interested because I'm on a chronic & compulsive quest for better tires.
    Right now I have a 2.4" Vee Trail Taker as my front tire (with a 2.25" Ardent EXO on the rear). I like it quite a bit so far- it's light, durable at 120tpi, and rolls very fast considering the grip it provides. The only downside so far is that it's pretty tall, so it is a tight fit on my 26" Fox fork.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I ride in Colorado with a majority of the trails being either full-on hardpack or loose conditions on top of hardpack.

mtbr member
    Right on...those are on my "to try" list along with the Fluid's that StiHacka's been touting. Originally the Trail Taker made me wonder what they were thinking with the side lugs....looks like you'd have to be leaned over about 70 degrees to even use them, but with the new double wide rims I've been reconsidering that one.

MUST.....STOP.....BUYING......PARTS.....WANT...... NEW......HD-R!

I had a nice little nest egg going 'til Derby started flaunting those rims.... $700 in carbon hoops and Hadley hubs, and I'm almost back to square one.

I know....booo hooo... 1st world problem

mtbr member
    Roadie....I don't think Kenda's SCT casing will be as stout as EXO, but it certainly looks stouter than Kenda's traditional casing, which I've had far fewer failures on than other brands' non-reinforced casing.....never really been sure why. Those casings are really soft feeling, but the fabric doesn't seem to puncture from rocks as easily as others I've used.

Rolling on 650b
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    The Nevegals work on rocks and roots, even when they're wet. I'd say nearly half the people I ride with swear by the Nevegals. I myself find it an outstanding rear tire. If the new one rolls faster, I could definitely see running it front and rear, especially with a rounder profile.

May contain nuts
    Ditto - nothing wrong with Nev on tricky damp stuff, esp in the stick-e compound.

mtbr member
    Yep, as wet as the summer has been in the south east I have loved the outstanding grip the Nevegal provides 2.3 out front 2.1 in back love these tires. I'm not racing so what do I care about rolling resistance? Not dumping it on wet roots and rocks is more my concern.
    UGG boots will germinate Paris Hilton like intellect in your soles!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clipless in PA View Post
    The Nevegals work on rocks and roots, even when they're wet. I'd say nearly half the people I ride with swear by the Nevegals. I myself find it an outstanding rear tire. If the new one rolls faster, I could definitely see running it front and rear, especially with a rounder profile.
    Yeah, exactly. I LOVE the Neo Moto 2.3 on softer dirt, but unfortunately my trails are only about 30% that, and the rest is all limestone and roots, and the Nev sticks better when they're slick from water or a dusting of dry-weather talcum.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Ditto - nothing wrong with Nev on tricky damp stuff, esp in the stick-e compound.
    Which raises the question.... Will the new SCT tires be as good on wet rocks and roots. It looks and feels like a different rubber compound, but I haven't had a chance to ride it in anything but dry conditions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Hadley Hubs, you made the right choice!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm wanting to get the 2.2 HB for my ride, but I can't go too much wider than the 2.1 Nev I'm using in my frame now. Real world mounted up, how much bigger if at all is the HB than the Nev? You'd be the perfect person to tell me since you've had both

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I'm not sure who you're directing your question to, but I won't be able to help unfortunately.... My HB experience is limited to setting up some 29er wheels with 18mm internal rims, that are now away at college with my son.... so very different from my much wider 27.5 rims, and I didn't bother to measure the 29" HB's anyway.

Search the 650b forum for "27.5 tire reference" and you'll find the thread by that name that may contain the info you're looking for.

On a side note, early ride reports are very positive for some new Mavic CrossRoc Roam 650b x 2.2 tires. On a Stan's Flow they are 54mm wide at the casing, 58mm wide at the tread (tall & beefy cornering lugs ) and they're not very tall, with a wheel diameter of 27 3/8 or 696mm. They have about the same clearance on my bike as a Nevegal 2.1 does, but with more volume, better traction both climbing and especially cornering, and they are a much faster roller..... I think they may give even less of a f@ck than the Honey Badger does

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Awesome, I'll go check that out! Thanks for the info!

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by joehoek View Post
    I'm wanting to get the 2.2 HB for my ride, but I can't go too much wider than the 2.1 Nev I'm using in my frame now. Real world mounted up, how much bigger if at all is the HB than the Nev? You'd be the perfect person to tell me since you've had both

Thanks!
    The HB looks beefier than the 2.1 Nevegal, I can hardly make it fit in the rear triangle of a Mojo HD. I have a worn 2.1 Nev on a narrow rim (Alex XD lite) and a new HB on a Derby, I'll get you the measurements later tonight.

The Mavic 2.2 Roam might be a safer bet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast