mtbr member

Kenda Honey Badger Review - 275x2.2

I picked up a Honey Badger tire as a replacement for the much loved, but imperfect, 2.1 Pacenti Neo Moto Tire. I've been very happy with the Neo despite the too-thin sidewall and 2.1 size. I usually run larger.

The HB seated quickly on my Inferno27 rims with my ghetto-Gorilla tubeless setup with some Stans. I generally remove the presta core and use the blow gun attachment to seat tubeless as the oh-fee-shul presta chuck that I have is very low-flow and borderline useless. The sidewall is thicker than the NM and the knobs are angled-front like you see on so many tires. The knobs are also lower than average (2mm lower?) and spaced out pretty well. Good-looking shoulder and WTB-like durometer. Maybe a bit softer. Proper volume tire, too, and it fit in my 26" Revelation fork with plenty of room.

My first ride on the tire was down in Bike Heaven, also known as Harrisonburg, VA. I put a few psi over xc in because we were riding up the backside of Narrowback off of Bear Trap Farm Rd and hitting the flow trail on the other side. The flow is new and I've never ridden it but I followed local fast guy Matty down and drilled it hard, gapping all the tables and almost flying off the trail a few times. For its speed, the trail is narrow and some turns happen at odd times, requiring tires and brakes to work. Rubber side down was achieved when I wasn't trying to whip.

So, the tire hooks up well on new, dry trail when you are scared out of your mind. Honey Badger doesn't give a sh!t.

After that, we climbed 1/2 of Hankey to ride Lookout. It drops you down near Chris's lodge. It's rocky. Really rocky. Big really rocky. A lot. I still had flow-trail pressure in it and should have dumped a few psi. I didn't. It was fine and Matty and I hauled the mail down that trail, finding the alt drops and still managing to 'dong' hit the rims.

After another full day of riding Dowell's and Chestnut, I can say that the tire works really well. Sidewall is thick enough, no sign of abrasion despite many, many rock scrapes and impacts. I was able to rail trails that I knew well and new trails all the same. I'll run this tire all day, every day.

If you are looking for a solid abuse-worthy tire that won't let you down when it gets uber-rocky, I can recommend the tire. 3 rides and 100 miles in, I'm stoked. This will be on my bike for the SM100 next weekend for sure.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

Dissolved member
    Thank you for the review. How much taller is it than the 2.1 Neo Moto? I have seen reports saying it was full 28" tall.

mtbr member
    A wide rim pulls it down a bit. It's not any taller on my setup.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com