Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: doismellbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,926

    Kenda Honey Badger 650b???

    Anybody tried these yet?
    Universal Cycles -- Kenda Honey Badger DTC SCT 650b Tire

    I've scanned the tire reference thread and no mention. I just bought a pair for a 29er HT that have not been mounted yet, but they look promising. I'm hoping the 2.2 nominal width on the 650b's will actually fall between a Nevegal 2.1 and 2.35 for a decent volume with converted-bike-friendly clearance.

    If you've got a 650b mounted please post some height and width #'s.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jdcatnau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    522

    Kenda Honey Badger 650b???

    Love my HB on my 29er HT. I'm interested in the 650b version too, but I have a set of 2.25 schwable Hans dampf on my sight killer-b that I like as well.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcatnau View Post
    Love my HB on my 29er HT. I'm interested in the 650b version too, but I have a set of 2.25 schwable Hans dampf on my sight killer-b that I like as well.
    I just got a set of these as warranty replacements for the non-UST Nevegals I shredded. They are the SCT version, and the casing feels nice and thick. We'll see how the tread works -- it feels to me like they'd be good on semi-hardpack or firm loam, but deep floaty hero dirt might make them too floaty...not a whole lot of tread depth, but good shoulder knobs.

    I haven't put them on yet -- there's not much point, as down here in New Mexico, practically the whole state is closed due to fire danger. I might get a trip in to the Monarch Crest trail in CO later this summer...if I do, I'll throw them on and see how they work.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tyrebyter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    362
    Ordered one today to go with a wheel I'm having built. Should be here Wednesday and will mount it up, measure and report back. Hope it fits under the hoop of my fork.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: doismellbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,926
    The 29er version I mounted on some 18mm inner width rims measure at 52mm wide at the casing, and 56mm wide at the side knobs, brand new and 30 psi.... will be wider on a wider rim and after stretching... but wondering if the 275ers are similar.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tyrebyter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    362
    Got my wheel and tire today. Mounted it up and rode 8 miles of rocky trail to break it in. Overall diameter at 30PSI on a 23mm inside width rim measures 28.0 inches. Width at knobs averages 2.34" and at the casing 2.14". Also, the profile is nice and round so there was plenty of clearance under my Manitou Minute Pro. Hope that helps.

  7. #7
    Dissolved member
    Reputation: StiHacka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,501
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrebyter View Post
    Got my wheel and tire today. Mounted it up and rode 8 miles of rocky trail to break it in. Overall diameter at 30PSI on a 23mm inside width rim measures 28.0 inches. Width at knobs averages 2.34" and at the casing 2.14". Also, the profile is nice and round so there was plenty of clearance under my Manitou Minute Pro. Hope that helps.
    Thank you. 28in tall? That's a large diameter for a 2.2" tire, I was hoping it would fit in my conversion but apparently that is not the case.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tyrebyter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    362
    Measured again just to be sure I wasn't having a brain fart. 28.0" is the actual diameter. What are you thinking of putting it on?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: doismellbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,926
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Thank you. 28in tall? That's a large diameter for a 2.2" tire, I was hoping it would fit in my conversion but apparently that is not the case.
    Yeah, same here. Not so good for conversions, but bigger is better in general.

    Thanks for the info TyreByter!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tyrebyter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    362
    Also, it comes in at 780 grams, which seems awfully heavy for a tire with so little tread. The sidewalls seem fairly stiff, so I suppose that's where the weight is. As for it being a 2.2" tire, that's true if you average the case and tread but other manufacturers are a bit more 'liberal' in their marketing. I'd call this tire a real 2.2; another brand might call it a 2.4 or whatever they thought they could get away with.

  11. #11
    Dissolved member
    Reputation: StiHacka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,501
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrebyter View Post
    Measured again just to be sure I wasn't having a brain fart. 28.0" is the actual diameter. What are you thinking of putting it on?
    Mojo HD. A tiny bit smaller 2.25 Grip'r is a no-go, there is no way the Honey Badger would fit. I am at the mercy of Schwalbe, luckily the HD 2.25 SS is a pretty good tire.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jdcatnau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrebyter View Post
    Ordered one today to go with a wheel I'm having built. Should be here Wednesday and will mount it up, measure and report back. Hope it fits under the hoop of my fork.
    Hey tyrebyter, how's the honey badger holding up? Are you running them front and back?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: doismellbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,926
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabone33 View Post
    We'll see how the tread works -- it feels to me like they'd be good on semi-hardpack or firm loam, but deep floaty hero dirt might make them too floaty...not a whole lot of tread depth, but good shoulder knobs.
    That's a pretty good summary of what I experienced on the 2 "shake down" rides I did on my son's new 29er HT. Good grip until it gets pretty deep and powdery...then something with more pronounced knobs sticks a little better.

    I'm pretty stoked about their new tubeless ready casing however....not one single bit of sidewall weeping or pressure loss since originally mounting them up... should stand up better to the occasional rock to rim bottom out scenario too.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tyrebyter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    362
    Holding up nicely. Good cornering grip and fast rolling considering the weight. Just running in the front. My back wheel should be built this week but I want to run something a bit lighter there. Geax Something maybe.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jdcatnau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    522

    Kenda Honey Badger 650b???

    Quote Originally Posted by tyrebyter View Post
    Holding up nicely. Good cornering grip and fast rolling considering the weight. Just running in the front. My back wheel should be built this week but I want to run something a bit lighter there. Geax Something maybe.
    Sweet, I just mounted a HB on the rear and so far I really like it. I was thinking about buying one for the front as well since my Hans dampf is falling apart on me.

Similar Threads

  1. Spot Honey Badger SS
    By Zippy29er in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 2 Days Ago, 10:52 AM
  2. Kenda Honey Badger
    By NYrr496 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-23-2014, 05:32 AM
  3. Kenda Honey Badger
    By NYrr496 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-14-2013, 07:48 PM
  4. Ride a Honey Badger day
    By mtroy in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-2013, 08:38 AM
  5. honey badger of bikes
    By snark7 in forum Passion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-05-2012, 02:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •