mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Just punctured my 3rd Racing Ralph in 3 months

First two were the lighter Performance version but this last one was the tougher SnakeSkin version. All 3 the puncture was on top between the knobs riding rocky terrain at about 25-28psi, all 3 on the rear tire. These were all set up tubeless on LB Carbon rims with Stans sealant and the punctures on all were too big for the sealant to seal so had to put a tube in to get home. I haven't had a season like this in 10 years, since I started running tubeless. Come to the conclusion that I'm done with the RR tires and need a new rear tire solution that rolls fast. As a comparison I ran a 26" Conti Race King Protection tire (590g) on the same trails all season long last year tubeless on a Stans Arch Ex rim with no problems at all. HD is the likely solution for durability but I don't want a tire that rolls like that for my local rides, at least not on the rear anyways.

mtbr member
    I very quickly punctured a RR between the knobs, too. Basically the first rock garden I hit. Haven't gotten around to trying it again since I patched it. Sounds like its not the tire for rocks.

mtbr member
    I ended up trying the Racing Ralph 2.25 Double Defense. Only available in 26" but offers another layer on the top of the tire to help prevent punctures.

Like you I've gone through 3 or more tires this summer with major holes in the top due to rocks.

Schwalbe does not have a fast rolling AND durable enduro tire at this time. I'm hoping the Rock Razor fills that gap.
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

mtbr member
    Yeah, I should add that I've top-punctured a NN and an HD this season, too. None were double defense.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    My HD on my 26" RFX is the Super Gravity version and that's done fine on rocky downhill tracks. Does the Super Gravity do more than simply beef up the sidewall?

mtbr member

Yes the Super Gravity has multiple reinforced areas. They are basically DH-lite tires
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Maxxis Ikon or Ignitor? Not sure about 650b availability though.
    Blur LT & Highball

mtbr member
    Well the RR is a racing tire, so its supposed to be light. Light tires are generally not very tough.

Anyways, don't throw them out! Clean the inside around the puncture really, really well with alcohol and throw a tube patch over the inside of the puncture. It works well, I ripped a big hole in a neo moto on my second ride. Patched it up and got several more months out of it. Still riding it in fact.

mtbr member
    I'm about 170 lbs with gear, and ride rocky terrain constantly, and I have yet to find a tire around the size of the racing ralph that I would consider to be really tough. 28 psi and below is where the traction magic happens, and also where the pinch & puncture failures start to get out of hand. I've quickly wrecked Nevegal 2.1's, a Maxxis CrossMark 2.1, several Neo Motos in both sizes (not because they're more delicate, necessarily, more just because I've run a lot more of them...the tread is tough, but the thread used in their casing seems to have a pretty low breaking strength...had two get fatal puncture/cuts just from course cedar mulch on the jogging trail that starts and ends all my rides). I pretty much resigned myself to running 29-30 psi minimum until I can pony up for a dedicated b-bike with fat tire clearance.

I took one look at the original RR 650b a couple years ago and said no way.....now I'm about 3 rides in on a new RR 27.5 SS, and been feeling pretty confident running 27 psi based on the stiff sidewalls.......
    now you guys are making me nervous

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    I hated the Ardent rear on my 26 inch bike but love it on 27.5. I gave up on RR after sidewall split on second ride. The Ardent rolls surprisingly fast and is very durable. I ride rocky dust covered trails of SoCal and it has served me well. Running with the Pacenti TL28 hoops so close to your LB rims.
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

mtbr member
    Yeah, wish they would fit on my bike....would love to try one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I really wanted to run the RaRa's (based on size, weight, and tread pattern) but their reviews on here clearly point to problems with the sidewalls. They have a new snakeskin sidewall out with the RaRa's that may certainly help.

I live in a very rocky, technical area with lots of baby-heads and volcanic tuff. I have had very good luck on both bikes with Maxxis tires with the Exo sidewall (getting the exo sidewall is key!). On my blur i run heavier tires, DH-F front and Ardent rear. On my highball i run ikons. All exo sidewall, all tubeless at around 24psi. I weigh in at 180 and have never burped or punctured a tire.

Some of the guys i ride with run other Schwalbe tires with the snakeskin sidewalls, so i know they can be good too.

TL;DR: Try a RaRa with a snakeskin sidewall, or switch to Maxxis with an Exo sidewall.
    Blur LT & Highball

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by 69erEverything View Post
    Schwalbe does not have a fast rolling AND durable enduro tire at this time. I'm hoping the Rock Razor fills that gap.
    Big Betty.

Gatestar Snakesking Ralph hold up quite OK for me so far, but they are not on the bike I take into rockier trails. I would not put any Schwalbe without sidewall reinforcement as a rear tire.

local trails rider
    I ran 26" Racing Ralphs (first generation) some years ago. Snakeskin made a big difference in keeping my sidewalls in one piece. The rocks here rarely threaten the tread but can slash the sides.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Big Betty.
    Even better is Wicked Will

Faster rolling and pacestar compound

It wears faster though

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Ive been running the same set of RR's on my SC Blur for about a 1 1/2 years, running them tubeless and have never flatted other than not replacing the Stan's sealant on a regular basis. The tread even looks pretty good for that time. I have about 1500 miles on them(SC is mostly my race bike) the RR's are the evo's, not the snakeskin model.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    no luck with rara snakeskin or UST version in tubeless mode
    punctured them twice - middle of the tyre
    i will try a double defence version

The White Jeff W
    I cut sidewalls on both of the 650b RR's I had pretty quick. The snakeskin version I had on my 29er were indestructable
    No moss...

mtbr member
    My first try on a Snake Skin RaRa 27.5 has been OK, but I did get a rock puncture just in-board of the edge lugs that had to be patched. This was in the first month. I don't know if the snake skin protection even covers that part of the casing...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Not sure the Double Defense is available yet for the RR in 650b. If it is I'd be very interested.

Heard the Conti Race King Protection model with Black Chili compound is now available, that was a great tire in 26" and took all kinds of abuse. May be my next rear tire.