mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Jamis Nemesis 650 Team

I'm looking at this bike for next years XC racing season. I know the carbon model is new this year but does anyone have any personal experience with it or know of someone who has? I'm coming from an 26" AL Epic. I've test rode 29ers and 27.5's and coming from the 26" the 27.5's feel really good, I just don't have access to a Nemesis Test bike even though our team sponsored bike shop sells them. It looks to be a rocket at 19.75 lbs stock!! Thanks!

JAMIS BICYCLES

mtbr member
    $6000.00 Holy mackrel! at 50%off I would still hesitate to call it a bargain!
    Sorry call me old school but no way in heck would I ever pay more than 3 grand for a hardtail.
    UGG boots will germinate Paris Hilton like intellect in your soles!

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by carverboy View Post
    $6000.00 Holy mackrel! at 50%off I would still hesitate to call it a bargain!
    Sorry call me old school but no way in heck would I ever pay more than 3 grand for a hardtail.
    The XX1 setup alone (crankset, cassette, derailleur, shifter, and chain) is $1288. The brakes are $288 each, without rotors. The wheelset retails for $1000 although you can find it for a little bit less (Jenson has it for $949). The fork retails for $845 but can be found for around $600.

We're already over $3000 and don't even have a frame yet.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I love my 2012 nemesis...thinking about upgrading to the carbon model...anyone know how much the carbon nemesis is for the frame only? it is available as a frameset according to the jamis website:

Jamis Bicycles - Available Framesets

Wrench
    I ride/race a 2011 Alloy Nemesis. It's 22.8 or so pounds without water or food. I love it and ride it hard here in Austin, TX. It's the best hardtail I've owned. I only expect the carbon model to be fantastic as well.

I came from a Santa Cruz Blur XCc w/ 650b. It was a fine bike as well, but I'm more at home on the nemesis.
    Quote Originally Posted by xterrafreak View Post
    I'm looking at this bike for next years XC racing season. I know the carbon model is new this year but does anyone have any personal experience with it or know of someone who has? I'm coming from an 26" AL Epic. I've test rode 29ers and 27.5's and coming from the 26" the 27.5's feel really good, I just don't have access to a Nemesis Test bike even though our team sponsored bike shop sells them. It looks to be a rocket at 19.75 lbs stock!! Thanks!

JAMIS BICYCLES

mtbr member
    So I haven't ridden the bike, but our rep did bring one 'round the shop last week. Really amazing looking frame - I especially liked the flattened-out chainstays and the beefy-but-elegant top/head/downtube junction. Perfect spec. And crazy crazy light.

Like I said, I didn't get a chance to ride it, but for a XC race bike it looks the business.
    All mountain bikes are all-mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    fyi...I think 2012 was the first year of the nemesis

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks all for the feedback. I've never owned a Jamis product but like pedalmunky said the spec is fantastic, it's ultra light and also really competetively priced (Giant XTC 27.5 is $7200.00). I've heard reports that the bike is really stiff? Coming from a FS this might be an issue. I test rode the Giant XTC and it was really compliant, unfortunately it's not an option as our race team bike shop doesn't sell Giant bikes. I've been told a Nemesis Team demo will be in stock at the shop in a couple of weeks, so hopefully I'll have a chance to get a ride in before the trails are closed for the winter.

Wrench
    Xterrafreak (Xterras are fun!)

I worked for an L3 jamis dealer while I was in college. I've always been impressed with the quality of their frames and specs. They always tend to put pretty decent wheels on their bikes.

I've seen a few cracked frames, but nothing in the past four years. And it was all in their brand new (at the time) F/S Carbon line. Their hardtail carbon offerings have all been rock solid. My old coworker has a carbon frame from 2009 that he's absolutely abused and it's still going strong.

The company is also really easy to do business with. Whenever you call them you get a real person who genuinely seems to care.
    Quote Originally Posted by xterrafreak View Post
    Thanks all for the feedback. I've never owned a Jamis product but like pedalmunky said the spec is fantastic, it's ultra light and also really competetively priced (Giant XTC 27.5 is $7200.00). I've heard reports that the bike is really stiff? Coming from a FS this might be an issue. I test rode the Giant XTC and it was really compliant, unfortunately it's not an option as our race team bike shop doesn't sell Giant bikes. I've been told a Nemesis Team demo will be in stock at the shop in a couple of weeks, so hopefully I'll have a chance to get a ride in before the trails are closed for the winter.

mtbr member
    Leaf-spring shaped chainstays and a carbon seatpost might take the edge off the rear wheel chatter. I do regret not riding it now - but it was raining and gritty out, and as the rep's sample bike its one job is to look good as he paraded it around to other shops. I didn't want to muck it up for him. Man, I wish I coulda taken her out for a spin.
    All mountain bikes are all-mountain bikes.