mtbr member
    Jan 2008

JAMIS Nemesis 2012 vs 2013

In the market for a bike (mine was stolen !)

Been on a Trek Paragon 29er for the last 4-5 years. I guess the comparable offering from Trek is the Superfly.

I was going to get one of those as a replacement until the salemen showed me a 2013 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO. Noticeably lighter....noticeably. Even set-up as a 1x10 which I love. Now, both of those bikes are just over $2000 - my budget.

I'm curious about what you guys think of the Jamis Nemesis. I can pick one up on closeout for $1100 (2012 model) The 2013 models are a bit higher spec'd - mainly X9 vs X7. Same wheelset. ALex. They are in the neighborhood of $1700 or so - if you can find one.

I am reading very good things about the X-Fusion fork that comes on the Jamis.

If I were to buy one of those for $1100, I could buy a nice wheelset (stan's or similar) and have what I think would be a very interesting/fun bike. Too bad about the color on the 2012 models....I guess I could always paint it.

Anybody actually on one of those Jamis 650s ??

Should I go with the Stumpy EVO ? Really nice looking to boot. But - it's $400 more even after I'd buy a wheelset for the Nemesis - I could even upgrade the shifters if I got bored. Truth be told, X7 would be fine with me - I usually only shift between 3-4 gears on my home trail

Lemme know what you guys think.
    Last edited by elpoocho; 01-16-2013 at 12:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The wheel/tire set is very heavy and a lighter set makes a huge difference in the performance of the bike. You are looking at a $600 or more upgrade. The bars are about the heaviest ones I have ever felt (almost 500g) and the seat post is a chunker too. Those can be cheaply swapped out for off-brand stuff that it lighter. Stock, it's an agile, quick bike that does well in tight singletrack, but to really rock, it needs a diet. Mine went from 28.5 to 24 pounds, but it required more than $800 in upgrades.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Well I just listed my 2012 650B Comp which I up graded a bit. Stans ZTR Flow tube less, XT/XTR drive train (9 spd), Thompson Elite seat post, and Easton Monkey Lite bars. 29.5 lbs with heavy tires and saddle. Not the lightest pedals either but the bike rails! I'm selling her cheap to finance the 2013 model.

012 Jamis 650B Comp (Upgraded) $1,800.00 Full Suspension Bike - USA - [Jan 15, 2013]

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Does anyone know if the X-Fusion fork that comes stock on that bike is a 9mmQR or a 15mm through axle ? No mention of it on their site and no dealers in my area have actually seen one in person.

I'm starting to lean toward the 2012 Nemesis. I can swap the bars, stem, seatpost and saddle with parts I currently have (Thomson stem & post. Easton carbon bar)

I was planning on blowing $600 on a new wheelset anyway. So...I think for $1700 I could have something that I'd be happy with - meaning, the upgrade bug would be at arms length for a while.

I think I'm talking myself into it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    My Jamis has the X-Fusion Velvet and it is a 15mm through axle. I'll let you know if I end up parting the bike out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    1 last question: Anyone know if it has a 135mm rear axle or 142mm ?

Oddly enough it's not listed on their website.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    If I was you that is a screaming deal for the bike. I rode one for a couple of months and would have no problem riding the XFusion fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm not afraid of the fork. I've seen nothing but good reviews on it. It's the rest of the parts that mkae the screaming deal, not-so-much of a screaming deal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

jamis 2012

I bought a 2012 jamis,replace the wheels with chinese carbon,put on a set of racing ralphs,new handlebar,stem seatpost,brakes,grip shifters.Works great,looks pretty good to me and tips the scales at 22lb 10 oz.Sold most of the stuff I took off to offset new stuff.Rides and handles real well Still dialing in.Have about 3-4 rides on it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Which chinese carbon rims did you go with ? I'm 200lbs but I've been described as a quiet/light rider....whatever that means.

Also - does the fork on that 2012 have a 9mm QR or 15mm through ?

I was just going to go with some Stan's Arch EX hoops, but the carbon has me intrigued. Nobody I ride with has carbon hoops yet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

carbon

I got a set from light bicycle.Just their novus hubs with 9mm quick release.I also had a set of their rims laced to hope hubs for my 29r ss rigid.Real happy on product and service.Course they may blow up tomorrow but so far so good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I just rode a 2013 model and it has a standard 9mm qr hub. Probably pick it up in a few days. Rode great though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I had a 2012 and the Velvet fork was 9mm quick release hub and 135mm rear spacing