just some guy

Jamis Dragon 650B Dirt Rag review

I haven't seen this review on here yet, so here it is! Of especial interest to hardtail enthusiasts interested in 650b.

Review: Jamis Dragon 650b | Dirt Rag Magazine

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for the post - another positive, though abbreviated, Jamis test. Some of those waiting for the short travel f/s 650b will be tempted to go for this in the interim.

My Brain Hurts!
    I like it! Steel frame, hard tail and 650b....a dream bike!
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I had a 26 Jamis steel frame for years. It was a fantastic bike. My bike was solely designed for xc with only 80mm of travel, but I wouldn't hesitate to get another one if I was in the market. The only problem I had was the paint chipped easily. I rode that bike a good five or more years.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Why is the Dragon geometry different than the Nemesis?

Is the Nemesis a better climber with the longer chainstays?

Ovaries on the Outside
    The bike looks great in person. I didn't ride it, which is somewhat of a regret, but I'm glad shorter travel 650b hardtails are getting press, as I like the size for hardtail/rigid SS purposes.

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by lengarci View Post

Is the Nemesis a better climber with the longer chainstays?
    I wondered that too. I also wondered if the difference is noticeable when riding the two. I also wonder if frame material had anything to do with it though I can't imagine why....
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfGumby View Post
    I wondered that too. I also wondered if the difference is noticeable when riding the two. I also wonder if frame material had anything to do with it though I can't imagine why....
    Dragon = Trail/AM bike.....short chainstays + slack head angle = fun to get silly with. The bike encourages you to jump stuff and take risks, when it gets really technical you lean back and plow in and let the longer travel fork and slack head angle do their job....seriously a fun ride. Steel for ride quality and strength.

Nemesis = XC/Race bike....longer chainstays + steeper head angle = great climber and stable descender....you don't toss it around like the dragon but when it gets really technical the steep head angle is very responsive for quick, tight maneuvers. Aluminum for weight savings and stiffness.

Life Is Short
    Looks sweet too, I like the metallic green and it being a steel rig. Also when Jamis specs a White Bro$
    fork they mean business. I have to agree with the reviewer, running cables on the top tube is so 1990
    and a non-tapered head tube is also a bit too old school. Great looking bike though, the only thing missing is that its not made in USA, Canada or the UK because it looks so AmericanCanadianBritish.

just some guy
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    I have to agree with the reviewer, running cables on the top tube is so 1990
    I might be bucking trends, but running the cables up top in an extremely muddy climate works really well.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lengarci View Post
    For that matter, why is the HTA on the Dakar steeper than the Dragon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    For that matter, why is the HTA on the Dakar steeper than the Dragon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good question dwt. IMO the Dakar HA should be slacked out a degree more and grow some more travel to 140 f/b.

Yeah, I'm riding mine now and it's really good and the steering is so much better and less twitchey than my Prophet despite the same 69* HA. +6mm fork offset on the Loop might have something to do with it?

I may bump the OEM 130mm setting to 140 at the first service. I have also already considered a Works Components angleset. They have a new ZS lower/EC upper that would fit the Jamis headtube
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

Life Is Short
    Quote Originally Posted by talabardio View Post
    I might be bucking trends, but running the cables up top in an extremely muddy climate works really well.
    Good point! But If I were on the Jamis design team I would take a nod from Kona.
    Foe example on my Stinky the cables are routed thru the bottom tube and under the
    top tube, exposing no bare cable until its routed on the seat stay which are connected to
    the rear derailleur, and on the seat tube which is connected to a front derailleur.

I have a front Hammerschmidt transmission so there is no need for any bare cable exposure
    and I have hydraulic brakes which of course does not need exposure either.However exposing bare cable on the seat stay and seat tube is pretty common.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jamis Dragon 650B Dirt Rag review-p4pb5561223.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    When I click on that Dirtrag link my security says that page is a reported attack page. Just saying.

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by apat13 View Post
    Dragon = Trail/AM bike.....short chainstays + slack head angle = fun to get silly with. The bike encourages you to jump stuff and take risks, when it gets really technical you lean back and plow in and let the longer travel fork and slack head angle do their job....seriously a fun ride. Steel for ride quality and strength.

Nemesis = XC/Race bike....longer chainstays + steeper head angle = great climber and stable descender....you don't toss it around like the dragon but when it gets really technical the steep head angle is very responsive for quick, tight maneuvers. Aluminum for weight savings and stiffness.
    Based on the info provided I now wish the Nemesis was also available in a steel frame! I am a big fan of longer chainstays for better climbing. And with it being a responsive bike in tight stuff it is a win win too!

just some guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    When I click on that Dirtrag link my security says that page is a reported attack page. Just saying.
    Me too, Dirt Rag has been hacked?!