Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hikers Only's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    438

    Jamis Dragon 650b anyone?

    Does anyone have ride time on this bike? I'm considering buying one but would like some real world feedback.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pedalmunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    239
    There's lots of us out there riding this bike who've written about it in this forum. It's pretty easy to find the posts using the 'Advanced Search' box at the top of the Forum page. I've had mine for a season, but haven't been able to get out there on it this year because of this interminable winter - so forgive me if I seem a bit short.

    Oh, alright. I love mine. It's the best steel hardtail out there period. The light weight and the comfortable ride of the 853 combine with the semi-relaxed geometry and the middle wheelsize to make for an awesome bike. My Dragon does everything I want it to do in the dirt - roll over sprawling roots and rock gardens, slice through corners, slingshot up techy climbs. I bought her without riding a 650b offroad before, and I knew I made the right decision in the first few minutes in the saddle. It felt just like riding all the 26" bikes I'd owned before and loved - just better.

    The component spec was surprisingly good. I'd never run a White Bros fork before, but it turned out to be smooth, plush, and well-damped. The SLX 3x10 drivetrain seemed a bit much for me, since my three previous bikes have been 1x9 setups, but it never skipped a shift and I liked having a 36t cog in the back. In fact, this past off-season I've upgraded to a clutch rear derailleur and a single 36t ring but I haven't really ridden it yet.

    Aaaargh. I'm tired of working on my bike and talking about my bike. It seems as though that's all I've done lately. I wanna get out there! I guess that's the only downside to the Dragon, rednova 75. Life becomes a series of long lag times between rides...

    Rant over.
    Last edited by pedalmunky; 03-13-2013 at 12:01 PM.
    All mountain bikes are all-mountain bikes.

  3. #3
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,605
    Quote Originally Posted by rednova75 View Post
    Does anyone have ride time on this bike? I'm considering buying one but would like some real world feedback.

    Thanks
    Pedalmonk's right about the 853 steel, if you remember the VooDoo Bizango ht I was running 650's on for awhile that was 853.
    Anyway, knowing your "kill it" riding style on the Banshee, what are you planning to set it up for? AllDay epic jaunts or AllMtn segment thrashing sessions? If the latter, there may be other production steel frames to look at. Kona Explotiv for one.

    **Edit-Or maybe this is for the little woman?.....
    Last edited by JMac47; 03-13-2013 at 03:39 PM. Reason: typo
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hikers Only's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    438
    Hey JMac! This bike would be for more the former with the occasional later while riding the former I wanna bike that will be suited for blasts around CC, tamo, Tam and annadel that can handle some fairly aggressive riding (not like I do on the Banshee), but will di well on all day epic rides.

  5. #5
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,605
    Quote Originally Posted by rednova75 View Post
    Hey JMac! This bike would be for more the former with the occasional later while riding the former I wanna bike that will be suited for blasts around CC, tamo, Tam and annadel that can handle some fairly aggressive riding (not like I do on the Banshee), but will di well on all day epic rides.
    With some light(ish) 2.2ish tubeless tires it should fit the bill perfect then. I didn't do too bad on some of the Tahoe Boys Trip rides on my SS 650 HT either. Not 'as' fun when pointed downhill ofcourse.

    Dragon happy riders:

    List of 650b designed hardtails

    You probably already saw this from another thread but the Dragon is featured in alot of the vid. Looks like the Nemisis would fit the bill too but it's alum if that's what you were trying to stay away from.

    Jamis 650B (2013) - YouTube
    Last edited by JMac47; 03-13-2013 at 10:32 AM. Reason: typo
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalmunky View Post
    There's lots of us out there riding this bike who've written about it in this forum. It's pretty easy to find the posts using the 'Advanced Search' box at the top of the Forum page. I've had mine for a season, but haven't been able to get out there on it this year because of this interminable winter - so forgive me if I seem a bit short.

    Oh, alright. I love mine. It's the best steel hardtail out there period. The light weight and the comfortable ride of the 853 combine with the semi-relaxed geometry and the middle wheelsize to make for an awesome bike. My Dragon does everything I want it to do in the dirt - roll over sprawling roots and rock gardens, slice through corners, slingshot up techy climbs. I bought her without riding a 650b offroad before, and I knew I made the right decision in the first few minutes in the saddle. It felt just like riding all the 26" bikes I'd owned before and loved - just better.

    The component spec was surprisingly good. I'd never run a White Bros fork before, but it turned out to be smooth, plush, and well-damped. The SLX 3x10 drivetrain seemed a bit much for me, since my three previous bikes have been 1x9 setups, but it never skipped a shift and I liked having a 36t cog in the back. In fact, this past off-season I've upgraded to a clutch rear derailleur and a single 36t ring but I haven't really ridden it yet.

    Aaaargh. I'm tired of working on my bike and talking about my bike. It seems as though that's all I've done lately. I wanna get out there! I guess that's the only downside to the Dragon, rednova 75. Life becomes a series of long lag times between rides...

    Rant over.

    Sounds like a great deal . Could you please tell how tall are you and what size you took? I'm 6' and trying to figure out if size 17 will fit me, or should i got with 19.

  7. #7
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,605
    Don't mean to but in, maybe you read it but the guy in the link I posted to rednova is 5-9 riding a 15". Surprised me but looking at the seat tube extn in his pic it made sense, not that it makes sense to ride too much of an undersized frame to everyone.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Don't mean to but in, maybe you read it but the guy in the link I posted to rednova is 5-9 riding a 15". Surprised me but looking at the seat tube extn in his pic it made sense, not that it makes sense to ride too much of an undersized frame to everyone.
    Thanks man! Yeah I read it and it looks steep. I ride 18" jabber and it has 23.2" ETT while 17" Dragon has 22.99. Not sure how big difference those .2 inches would do. Looks like Jamis's sizes are on a bigger side.

  9. #9
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,605
    Wasn't diss'n the other guys setup ofcourse. But yeah I'm 5'-6"ish and ride 16" frames,26-650's-29r's with considerable seat tube "exposure"...In fact the other day my ride buddies were asking "how come your rig looks so big". But I digress.....
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pedalmunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    239
    Yeah, I'm 5'9" too and I ride a 17. Maybe I've got a longish inseam at 32", but the guy riding the 15 said he liked a whole lotta standover. I've gotta say, I've ridden bikes a touch too small for me before because I liked the feel and control, but my bike feels perfect for me.

    By comparison, the size 16 BluePig I owned before the Dragon had an identical TT length, and even though the Pig had a slacker HT angle, I think the two bikes handle similarly - which is to say very, very well. I didn't have to change the way I rode, or the angle I entered corners, or anything really. I just had bigger wheels to roll over stuff with, and I liked not having my seatpost at max extension when I was out with a bunch of hammerheads.

    From what you were saying about your Jabberwocky I guess the 17 would feel pretty close. If you're 6' I'd think about a 19 as well though. Jamis lists ETT as well as standover on their website. If you live in the Chicago area I'd let you come by the shop to take mine out for a spin if that's at all feasible...

    Me with the whip:

    581112_10151798568640231_1908123957_n by paulignacio13, on Flickr
    Note the new bike grin! Like I said, I'm an honest 5'9" with a 32" inseam. Hope this helps!
    All mountain bikes are all-mountain bikes.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    21
    pedalmunky, you and your new beauty are looking great. I would love to stop by and try your bike, but i'm in SE Michigan. I've got 34 inseam, so looks like 19 will be better match for me, though I'm not concerned about standover too much either. Now I'll have to find one I can try .

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pedalmunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    239
    On paper the 19 seems like it would work. Take one for a ride if you can. Quality steel hardtails are perfect mountain bikes for the midwest. Good luck!
    All mountain bikes are all-mountain bikes.

  13. #13
    mountainfreak
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    41
    @The RideR... our 650B demo tour will be passing through MI in a few weeks with Dragon's in the trailer!

    April 6th - at Yankee Springs with Pedal Bicycles (Kalamazoo) & Grand Rapid Bicycles
    April 7th - near Brighton with Hometown Bicycles

    There's also a possibility that we will be at the Island Lake Demo on May 4th.

    Check with those shops to confirm dates, times and trailheads. Have fun!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal@Jamis View Post
    @The RideR... our 650B demo tour will be passing through MI in a few weeks with Dragon's in the trailer!

    April 6th - at Yankee Springs with Pedal Bicycles (Kalamazoo) & Grand Rapid Bicycles
    April 7th - near Brighton with Hometown Bicycles

    There's also a possibility that we will be at the Island Lake Demo on May 4th.

    Check with those shops to confirm dates, times and trailheads. Have fun!
    Thank you Sal! I'll check it.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MMcG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,123
    Go with 19.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG View Post
    Go with 19.
    It's just you gut feel or you own one?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hikers Only's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    438
    So I'm 5 11 and i just tried a 17 inch and it was a little too small! If I get one of these it will be a 19.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hikers Only's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    438
    So not knowing much about these bikes I have found a 2012 in 19 inch, with Schwalbe RR tires, SLX cranks, XT shadow rear Der, XT shifters, XT brakes w/ ice tech rotors and a Carbon Haven bar. It is in 9.9/10 condition. My question is what would be a good deal for this?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    21
    Where did you feel it small? Reach? Wheelbase?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hikers Only's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    438
    It felt just a little small everywhere. I felt a little cramped in the cockpit, especially as i like run a shorter stem. I was originally thinking the 17 because of the stand over height being a little higher than i'm used too, but the 17 just didn't feel quite right.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pedalmunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    239
    You two are measurably taller than me. I'd 'internet fit' you both to a 19 frame. Jamis listed my bike with a 31.14" standover, which seemed uncomfortably close on paper but I've never given it a second thought. RiderR, I'd fully take advantage of the demo trailer rolling through to fully suss out the sizing.
    All mountain bikes are all-mountain bikes.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalmunky View Post
    You two are measurably taller than me. I'd 'internet fit' you both to a 19 frame. Jamis listed my bike with a 31.14" standover, which seemed uncomfortably close on paper but I've never given it a second thought. RiderR, I'd fully take advantage of the demo trailer rolling through to fully suss out the sizing.
    Yeah, I guess it'll be the best thing to do.

  23. #23
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,605
    Pricing, pricing! The Englishman needs Pricing!
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    24
    I built up a 19 and I'm 6' even. 19 is what you need.

  25. #25
    What?
    Reputation: mullen119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal@Jamis View Post
    @The RideR... our 650B demo tour will be passing through MI in a few weeks with Dragon's in the trailer!

    April 6th - at Yankee Springs with Pedal Bicycles (Kalamazoo) & Grand Rapid Bicycles
    April 7th - near Brighton with Hometown Bicycles

    There's also a possibility that we will be at the Island Lake Demo on May 4th.

    Check with those shops to confirm dates, times and trailheads. Have fun!
    Im hoping this gives you an email, letting you know I sent you a PM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Jamis Dragon 650B Dirt Rag review
    By talabardio in forum 27.5 - 650b
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-25-2012, 07:12 PM
  2. 20 years of Dragon (2013 Dragon 650B)
    By rvanderveur in forum Jamis
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-29-2012, 12:13 PM
  3. jamis dragon 650b hta
    By peterv in forum Jamis
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-14-2012, 08:42 AM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-19-2012, 08:19 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-14-2011, 01:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •