mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Jamis Dakar XCT 650 Comp

Looked at a 13 model today. Very nice looking bike for the money. But everything I read about Jamis on forums seems to be bad. I do own 3 Jamis hard tails currently and my LBS sells Jamis religiously. They sell much higher end stuff too, but for the money the Dakar 650 "seems" like a good deal. Anybody here got one? Thought, opinions, pics? Post em up...

I Ride for Donuts
    I'm looking at those too... My LBS is the same, and they do get good reviews. You can definitely get better components on the Jamis or KHS or Giant than you can on some of the more 'boutique' brands. It's hard to determine how much of it is marketing, and how much is reality. I have had more than a couple people tell me that Jamis and Giant are the two best 'bang for your buck' companies out there. That said, I'm leaning towards the new SC Bantam with lower level components ... am I a victim of marketing, or is the Jamis really not as good? Gah, now I'll go look at the Jamis agian...
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I had the 2011 Dakar 650 B2 and to be honest that was quite a nice bike with a terrific component spec. This bike allowed me to do things I could not do on my converted Prophet. The one issue I did have was I was unable to get full travel from the Monarch RT shock even running stupid amounts of sag. Research showed these run stiff and I believe Jamis speced the shock wrong to be honest. I put up a major stink and ultimately Sram replace it under warranty, upgraded the shock to the RT3 and a lighter dampening. I only got one short ride on the new shock when the bike went up for sale. Did seem improved though. I wanted something with a bit more travel and slacker front end. Now the original MSRP on the thing was 5K which I never would have paid. I bought it as a leftover in early 2012 (before the 650b snowball started rolling) for 3K. Had a very tough time reselling it even though it was in pristine condition so consider that fact if you tend to re-cycle through bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    This bike is also on the top of my list. The Pro version is a stunner, but sooo expensive. In fact, I am hoping that maybe I will find a leftover Comp next spring and pull the trigger on one. Keep us posted on what you decide!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I can buy the the 13 comp model for just about $2000 maybe a lil more which is still a good deal I think. I'm just wanting to see the 14s when they come out then I will make a decision. I have looked at all the brands 26" wheeled dual suspension bikes and while I do like other brands as well, I know I will get the best deal and reputable service from my LBS and that's very important to me.

Wrench
    I've owned/currently own the following bikes from Jamis.

2009 Trilogy
    2009 Nova Pro
    2010 Durango 2
    2012 Nemesis

I've never had an problem with any of them. Jamis has flown under the radar for quite some time. I used to work for an L3 jamis dealer as a mechanic and sales person. I've always found their frames to be well thought out and durable. Their older Dakar line had some problems at the lower linkage (I blame QC, to be honest) and I've seen a few cracked carbon frames (road and early FS), but I've seen a lot of cracks in my day.

I wouldn't feel bad putting money down on a Jamis this instant. I love my Nemesis, and my Durango is my SS trail bike. I use the Nova Pro for road riding and CX.
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I'm looking at those too... My LBS is the same, and they do get good reviews. You can definitely get better components on the Jamis or KHS or Giant than you can on some of the more 'boutique' brands. It's hard to determine how much of it is marketing, and how much is reality. I have had more than a couple people tell me that Jamis and Giant are the two best 'bang for your buck' companies out there. That said, I'm leaning towards the new SC Bantam with lower level components ... am I a victim of marketing, or is the Jamis really not as good? Gah, now I'll go look at the Jamis agian...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I currently own 3 Jamis bikes myself:
    2013 Komodo (mine)
    2013 Durango Comp Femme (wife's)
    2013 Trail X1 (daughters)

All 3 perform flawlessly. I ride more often than my wife and daughter does, and I ride a lot more aggressive, that's why I bought the Komodo. It's a great all around hard tail bike in my opinion.