mtbr member

Intense Tracer 2 conversion to 650b

After a lot of research the whole 27.5" thing just made too much sense not to try. Just converted my 26" Tracer 2 to 650b with the new hanger kit Intense made for the Tracer 2 and Carbine with G1 dropouts. Everything fits perfect and I was very happy the clearance on my stock Fox 36 Talas is perfectly acceptable. Here she is:

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Very nice and the funny thing is I think the rear seat stay cross brace on the 26" bike with 650 wheel has more clearance than the dedicated Tracer 275.

What's the weight and the static BB height? Is it a large or XL?
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post

What's the weight and the static BB height? Is it a large or XL?
    The weight stayed just about the same at 31.85 lbs. Static BB height to center spindle is right about 14" but drops considerably when loaded. From my quick neighborhood ride assessment I couldn't find anything negative. The CG certainly didn't feel out of balance with the slightly higher BB height. The new 275 dropouts raise the axle almost as much as it extends the chainstay length (about .5" back and 3/8" up - rough estimate)

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks for the info. Carbine 275 excluded I would prefer your 26" conversion over the Tracer 275. 14" BB height (vs 13.3) is a godsend in New England rocks and the wheelbase is shorter by 1/2" even with the 650B dropouts. Look forward to what you think after hitting some trails. We're buried with snow so no riding is possible.

mtbr member
    I am seriously considering this. Seems like pretty good tire clearance. Looks like you are running the Neo Mottos. Do you think the 2.35 Hans Dampf would fit in there with enough room? I'm not familiar with how the Neos and HDs compare in size.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rehammer81 View Post
    Do you think the 2.35 Hans Dampf would fit in there with enough room? I'm not familiar with how the Neos and HDs compare in size.
    The HD was my other choice, but after chatting with a guy that has run both the HD and NM he said the 2.35 HD was a bit taller tire (about 5mm) and I wanted to play it safe so went with the NM. The clearance right now is perfectly acceptable, but I don't think I would want to lose too much of it with a bigger tire - at $90 per tire it would be an expensive mistake to mount them up and find out it's close.

Besides, the NM seems adequately beefy for our mostly hardpack socal trails so I'll give them a go first.

mtbr member
    Thanks trojans. Would you be more worried about the front or rear for clearance? The T2 I am thinking about snagging has a 36 TALAS on it already also. Obviously, if necessary, I could switch to a dedicated 650b fork so I guess the clearance in the rear is the more important question.

mtbr member
    The front and rear has just about the same clearance all the way around, but for sake of sudden wheel lock (rock or stick) I would be a little more concerned with the front not having enough room. Its kind of hard to get a pic, but the lower rear seems to have just slightly less room than the top arch. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rehammer81 View Post
    Thanks trojans. Would you be more worried about the front or rear for clearance? The T2 I am thinking about snagging has a 36 TALAS on it already also. Obviously, if necessary, I could switch to a dedicated 650b fork so I guess the clearance in the rear is the more important question.
    36 Talas will clear about any 650B tire. Bigger clearance at the arch and the bottom of the crown than the 32 Fox (which will clear the tallest 650B tire at the arch by about 3mm but strongly drag on the bottom of the crown at bottom out). Looking at that seat stay brace above I'd have no qualms using a HD...and BTW you should be able to get one for around $50 if you order it from overseas. They sell it for cheaper than dealer cost here. Crazy but true.

mtbr member
    May 2013

I'm considering doing the same conversion to my tracer2

Is this change is significant on the trails as although its not a lot of money doing the conversion its not few
    and also do you know why in tracer 2 they made a special frame (which they didn't do in the carabine) is this only a marketing thing or the change in the tracer 27.5 geometry compare to the 26 one is significant
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Wondering the same than Gon1...

Also you can use off-set shock bushings to drop the BB, p.e. here, but HTA and STA also change. A angleset should fix that, or maybe the HTA would be better a bit relaxed...

Anyone else has converted his Tracer 2 to 650b? I'd like to know your feeling, since I'm thinking in doing that too

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Is a 160mm rotor the one at the rear wheel? Or did you manage to set a bigger size?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keypee View Post
    Is a 160mm rotor the one at the rear wheel? Or did you manage to set a bigger size?
    203F / 160R. Since I couldn't go bigger in back I went 203 up front and have no regrets..

mtbr member
    Also you can use off-set shock bushings to drop the BB, p.e. here, but HTA and STA also change. A angleset should fix that, or maybe the HTA would be better a bit relaxed...

I have seen this bushing adaptor before and wondered if it does this by reducing the travel in the shock. If so I wonder how much.