Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Intense carbine 275 vs SC Bronson C

Hi all....
    Really needs your views on these 2 bikes....
    I am going to build a 275 carbon where the options is between carbine vs bronson.
    My local trails sort of singletracks, roots and rocks, some are technical and some are nice and easy xc trails...
    Most of the years are muddy one, so tyre clereance should be good...

Currently I rides niner jet 9 2012...
    Not sure yet whether I am going to keep it or not, no complaint about it....

So, really appreciate for your inputs...

Rgds

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Ride both

mtbr member
    IMO should be carbine vs the solo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Quote Originally Posted by probiscus View Post
    Ride both
    Unfortunately in my country, LB dont have test bike on L size...
    So cant do test ride

mtbr member
    Pretty similar bikes, can't go wrong with either. If I could have afforded the Intense, I would've seriously considered it. That said, I ended up with an Al Bronson and I love it. It took a few rides to get used to it but now it's awesome! It climbs well but really loves going south, the faster you go the smoother and more stable the ride. I havea buddy on a Carbine and he rips it too! Either way man

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Hi Mallory
    Thanks a lot for the insight...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I faced the same decision in April. Rode both at Sea Otter and decided on the Carbine. Cant go wrong with either. I just thought the Carbine felt more lively and fun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Hi Scuba
    Thanks for your share experienced
    Seems Intense score better....

Will share my decision later on...

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Been riding the Carbine 275 since March. I live out in CO so my rides are up and down. Avg ride 2-3k ft climbing. I've got the Carbine setup 160mm front 2x10 dropper post and it sits around 28lbs. I've been thinking of gong 1x10 but haven't convinced myself itsthe right thing yet. Anyways, I have no complaints on this bike. I'd guess I have 700-800miles on it on singletrack around the state. It's very fun. The 27.5 wheel helps save my energy rolling over alot of the terrain out here. Yet it's still really responsive and fun to ride. Do i regret spending all the money on it? Maybe when I think hard about it but honestly, I'm really enjoying the bike. It's hard to say though that you'd like one more over the other...not really sure that there's a huge difference. good luck with the decision...now time for me to go look in the couch for change as I'm saving up for carbon wheel set.

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by omarhadijaya View Post
    Hi all....
    Really needs your views on these 2 bikes....
    I am going to build a 275 carbon where the options is between carbine vs bronson.
    My local trails sort of singletracks, roots and rocks, some are technical and some are nice and easy xc trails...
    Most of the years are muddy one, so tyre clereance should be good...

Currently I rides niner jet 9 2012...
    Not sure yet whether I am going to keep it or not, no complaint about it....

So, really appreciate for your inputs...

Rgds
    I would say both bikes are close can't go wrong with any of them. Both are VPP comes from the same roots so riding characteristic should be close.
    Carbine quoted as more playful on various comments maybe due to slightly lower bb and shorter chainstay. Chainstay length maybe important for tire clearance you asked for.
    Carbine evolved from 26" frame and Bronson changed to 27.5" during their design stage if that's matter anyway.
    I got impression Bronson is firmer climber from what people say despite of the travel and Carbine is plusher descender. But again both are close each other.
    What is your riding style? Do you jump more than 2 ft regularly? If not slightly shorter travel bike like SC Solo or the coming Turner Flux -if you care the Alu one- might be the right rig for you so you don't have to lug extra weight of 150 mm bike (sorry for derailing).
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

Keep on Rockin...
    Good question.

Not sure how each has its suspension tweaked.

BBs and angle are pretty close to the same.

Stays are shorter on the Intense by more than a bit. That could change the ride a bit.

Threaded BBs are still nicer.

Most importantly, Intense red is way cool, and the Bronson's colors are not so hot.

I wish the BB on the Intense was lower. Once you get use to a low BB going back is hard.
    Last edited by Miker J; 01-21-2014 at 06:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    BBs and angle are pretty close to the same.

Stays are shorter on the Intense by more than a bit. That could change the ride a bit....
    I didn't know the stays were shorter on the Carbine, that may explain why some 650b tires are a real tight squeeze on mine. RR 2.25 fits perfectly but some of the taller tires (NN/HD 2.35, WTB Wolverine) were very tight fit for the rear wheel. Since the Bronson was spec'd on some models with the Maxxis HR 2.4 I'm guessing they had to have more clearance on the Bronson which would equate to longer stays with similar suspension design.

That being said I love my Carbine, finally at the point where I feel as quick on it (handling) as I did on my old 26" Spitfire. Mines 26.5 lbs with 150mm Pike and dropper post 1x10 (30t x 11/36). If I could make one change on it I'd get a smaller front ring but 30t is the smallest I can currently run on my XT cranks, would need to pony up for some SRAM XX1 cranks to get into a 28t ring. As is I'm fine for all my local spots but if I were to ride up in the mountains my gearing would be too tall.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Can't speak for the Bronson but can vouch fir the Carbine,completed my first Enduro and Super D on it this past weekend,placed 2nd in Enduro and only less then 30 seconds off first due to a crash,went off course once and caught up with another rider in a stage and could not safely pass near end of a stage.had one of the top decent times overall except for pros.

On Super D started behind 11 other competitors,standing start, and passed 10 caught up with leader on a climb section lost him slightly near top and then caught him again and on his tail at finish! all on 26ers.in a nut shell I believe that a 27.5 fits me and works very well in all trail conditions.current tires are Maxxis High Roller 3C Max Terra, 2.4.had Hans Dampf on previously,liked them but don't hold up for shite! HR's are all that and much more durable!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm thinking possibly of either of these frames too. How about frame weight, with shocks? Price?
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    I'm thinking possibly of either of these frames too. How about frame weight, with shocks? Price?
    My large frame without seatpost collar is 2,624 grams - 5.78 lbs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaM View Post
    My large frame without seatpost collar is 2,624 grams - 5.78 lbs.
    Carbine or Bronson? I'm assuming that's with the stock shock too?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Carbine or Bronson? I'm assuming that's with the stock shock too?
    Oops. Guess that would be good to know.
    It's a Carbine. Stock fox shock. CTD. The matte black frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I vote Bronson. I've got a Carbon Bronson my buddies got a Carbon Carbine. I think mines cooler for sure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    At 22" the small Carbine is 0.2" longer ETT length than the Bronson at 21.8". It's still very small for me at 22" ETT and the medium is a tad long for my preference at 23". Not a screaming difference but still, it's longer. And Carbine's have been out longer so it will be easier to try and find a used one.

Paper or plastic?
    At 22" the small Carbine is 0.2" longer ETT length than the Bronson at 21.8". It's still very small for me at 22" ETT and the medium is a tad long for my preference at 23". Not a screaming difference but still, it's longer. And Carbine's have been out longer so it will be easier to try and find a used one.
    Just run a shorter stem. I use a 65mm stem, 28" bars and it's perfect (medium). I can't vouch for the 275 since I'm rocking the 26" version. The bike is a hoot.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

AKA Mr.Habanero
    I think a head to head shootout would be cool being that they both are vpp and are shooting at the same market..how each handles, reacts. Which comes out on top!

mtbr member
    I'd go SC for the quality and design off the VPP, life time free bearings, 5yr warranty and lifetime crash replacement program. I'm not up to speed on the Carbine, but I have a lot of faith in SC's suspension design and durability. Very easy to maintain. My Nomad is entering year 6 and it's as tight and stiff as day 1.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Ps

I recently purchased the Intense carbine 275 over the SC bronson after several test rides. I have the fortune to have a SC dealer and Intense dealer within ~~ 5 miles of my house and a very good longterm relationship with both shops. My overall impression is take both are excellent bikes with very similar attributes. I'm am just shy of 6'2" with an 34 inseam and the final deciding factor was bike fit. My size put me right in the middle of the Bronson large/xl and neither felt quite right. The large was a tat too small and the XL seemed gaint to me. Intense , on the other hand, has widened the sizing on their frame to get away from manufacturing an xl size. This meant that their large was slightly bigger than SC's large and that was the sweet spot for me. I will say that I Believe than 6'2" is the max size that will fit this frame without running a setback post or >70mm stem. Other factor in my decision was color and graphics; the Rally Red is just damn sexy. As far as performance, I felt like it was comparing apples to apples. Both bikes climb like 4 inch travel frames, climb technical trail very well and decent better than any bike that I have ever ridden. 3-4 drops, jumps, roots, rock gardens, steeps, gnarly drops into rock gardens: all no problems and very little fear that the bike can't handle it. Cons: setting up 2014 Fox shock and fox and paint will chip off into chunks due to thickness. PS: Intense has a 2 year warranty on their frame but will look at all claims case by case. Meaning that if the frame failures due to design or manufacturing fault, They will replace the frame for free past the two year point. They also have a very liberal crash replacement program that I have used in the past. I was able to replace an tracer frame several years ago for about ~25%-35% retail price.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Carbine reviews speak of flex in the rear... Any thoughts?

I am to get a new 27.5 and I am between the Bronson and the Carbine.
    (I also look at M6 and Troy and HDR (sorry))
    I just got rid of my Covert carbon, tat to tank... I think it was the bad Fox Shox that bobbed so bad on climbing so I hit the roots.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The shop I spoke to recommended the Santa Cruz for carbon and the Intense for aluminum. Knowing how far SC has come in carbon development, I would go with the Bronson. This video gives me further confidence in SC carbon frames.

Pinkbike Visits The Santa Cruz Test Lab Video - Pinkbike

I have an aluminum Bronson and couldn't imagine how much fun it would be if I shaved 4-5 pounds off of it. That being said, Intense has had quality control issues on their aluminum frames in the past but hopefully they've made some progress in recent years.
    Last edited by INCONEL; 01-21-2014 at 03:34 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast