mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Intense Carbine 275

Hi guys.

I need some impressions about this bike i think i will buy one with the XT build kit, and i nees some impressions about weight, climbing and descents feelings!!

Yhanks and regrads

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Been riding a carbine 275 for about 5 months now. weight wise I'm just under 28lbs with pedals. I'm running XO vs XT, stans flow rims with Chris King hubs and a KS Lev dropper post. So depending on the XT build and standard wheels and if you get a dropper post you should hit in the 28lb range. (medium frame)

Bike climbs and pedals very well, coming from a 09 Rocky mtn Altitude and feel it climbs just as well, and I'm cleaning things I didn't before - could be wheel size or geometry of the bike, either way its better.

I'm running 160mm travel up front and bike handles extremely well down hill. Was at Winter Park's trestle bike park yesterday and bike jumps and handled all the trails there with ease - great fun

Good luck

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Just got mine put together last week so cant give a good review yet but it seems to be everything I was hoping for. 27.65 lb large frame with XTR trail pedals. XTR drivetrain, Hayes Prime Pro brakes, Reverb Stealth dropper, Haven bars.

Intense Carbine 275-20130629_191823.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaM View Post
    Just got mine put together last week so cant give a good review yet but it seems to be everything I was hoping for. 27.65 lb large frame with XTR trail pedals. XTR drivetrain, Hayes Prime Pro brakes, Reverb Stealth dropper, Haven bars.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130629_191823.jpg 
Views:	912 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	812591
    Nice setup!! why 650b over 29er?? i have a 2011 epic carbon comp 26? and i wanna a second bike with large wheels but i have doubts about 650b and 29er!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I had a chance to demo one of these bikes and I honestly wasn't impressed with it. I can also without a doubt point out the two issues I had with the bike and how they could be fixed too. Issue #1 was the tires, they were Vee Rubber variety and rolled about a slow as Nevegals. Issue #2 was the rear shock, a CTD RP23 with properly set sag. The shock blew through mid travel and felt overly soft. There was tons of pedal bob on the Trail setting, and on the Climb setting it lost small bump compliance. A set of faster rolling tires and a shock such as the Monarch plus would make a huge difference IMO. It just left a sour taste in my mouth for how a $5k+ bike rode.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've been riding mine since Dec and could not ask for a better bike. Climbing, descending, whatever it is, I am a more confident rider on this bike. I make climbs I couldn't before, and I clear lines I used to walk. Maybe it's a mind set, maybe it's the bike, maybe it's a little bit of both. Either way I'm super stoked on it. Mine weighs 26.5lbs with pedals. I have no issues with pedal bob. My last bike was a Stumpjumper Evo 26" and the fsr suspension bobbed plenty, but not the carbine. That being said, everyone's opinion is different and a solid demo ride is probably your best deciding factor.
    Intense Carbine 275-photo.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cebv84 View Post
    Nice setup!! why 650b over 29er?? i have a 2011 epic carbon comp 26? and i wanna a second bike with large wheels but i have doubts about 650b and 29er!!
    I rode a couple 29ers (Spider Comp, Tallboy LTc) but they just didnt seem as fun as the 26/27.5. That being said, if I already had a good 26er that I was going to keep and just wanted a second bike with bigger wheels, I would have thought more about going 29. For me, I really dont think there's enough difference between 26 and 27.5 to want to have both.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaM View Post
    I rode a couple 29ers (Spider Comp, Tallboy LTc) but they just didnt seem as fun as the 26/27.5. That being said, if I already had a good 26er that I was going to keep and just wanted a second bike with bigger wheels, I would have thought more about going 29. For me, I really dont think there's enough difference between 26 and 27.5 to want to have both.
    thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I've been riding my carbine expert xt for six months now. Ride is a bit harsh compared to my 26" Nomad (six years old now). Wouldn't say a great difference otherwise, as the clock doesn't lie and the ride times are rather comparable between the two bikes. Was expecting more after six years of technological advances. Don't get me wrong, still a great and beautiful bike. If I had to decide and buy one new bike between those two, probably I would go for the 275.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    For me the difference in ride quality is like going from the Wright Bros to a stealth fighter but I just replaced a 14 year old Rocky Mtn Team Element 3" XC ride with the Carbine so my perceptions may be a little different.

Turtle
    Nov 2009

My 2 cents

I love' the bike for everything in the rocky AZ trails. Good enough to pedal up and plush enough to ride some of the bigger, rougher trails down. One of the best bikes I've ever owned. Confidence inspiring for sure. Makes me do things I probably avoid.

I've ridden miners and agree that they're fast but not as much fun. It feels more flickable and definitely easier to jump without losing much speed from a niner.

The build is great...
    My set up:
    Large Carbine frame
    Shimano XT 1x10/Brakes
    Specialized BlackLight dropper seatpost
    Red Deity Dirty 30 handlebars
    Red Industry 9 Trail 24 wheelset
    Schwlabe Nobby Nics (Front) / WTD Wolverines (Rear)
    Suspension: Fox Float CTD 34 Kashima Coat + Fox CTD rear shock

The only thing holding the Carbine 275 back is me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Intense Carbine 275-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowriderAZ View Post
    I love' the bike for everything in the rocky AZ trails. Good enough to pedal up and plush enough to ride some of the bigger, rougher trails down. One of the best bikes I've ever owned. Confidence inspiring for sure. Makes me do things I probably avoid.

I've ridden miners and agree that they're fast but not as much fun. It feels more flickable and definitely easier to jump without losing much speed from a niner.

The build is great...
    My set up:
    Large Carbine frame
    Shimano XT 1x10/Brakes
    Specialized BlackLight dropper seatpost
    Red Deity Dirty 30 handlebars
    Red Industry 9 Trail 24 wheelset
    Schwlabe Nobby Nics (Front) / WTD Wolverines (Rear)
    Suspension: Fox Float CTD 34 Kashima Coat + Fox CTD rear shock

The only thing holding the Carbine 275 back is me.
    Awesome looking bike! not sure if I want to buy complete or build my own, wanting 2014 version, also not sure how it would compare to my 08 fsr expert, or just save my money and keep on the expert?

Turtle
    Nov 2009
    I've ridden FSR and the VPP seems to be a better suspension. Add 27.5 wheels and you will have a killer bike. FSR sits lower and pedal strikes are an issue in rocky areas. No issues like that with the Carbine 275. You won't be making a mistake if you pull the trigger.