mtbr member

Inner tubes for 650B wheels?

Can anyone tell me what inner tubes to use on 650B wheels? I've searched the forum but it seems the majority of 650B users opt for tubeless. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I just use my normal 26 inch tube, they fit just fine and its better than going larger (29er) so you dont fold/crease them inside the tire.

I use heavy duty 2.3-2.4 tubes but I dont think it matters for the 650b size I just like them for the rocky (pinch flat) stuff I ride.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbolt413
    Can anyone tell me what inner tubes to use on 650B wheels? I've searched the forum but it seems the majority of 650B users opt for tubeless. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Great! Thanks Ray!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I work for a major bike company and we just got a prototype 650b and it had 28" tubes in the wheels. I can't really go into too much detail on the bike, but personally I use 26" tubes as well on my 650b wheels.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by pwh4130
    I work for a major bike company and we just got a prototype 650b and it had 28" tubes in the wheels. I can't really go into too much detail on the bike, but personally I use 26" tubes as well on my 650b wheels.

Yeah if you are using tubes, 26" is the way to go.

pw4130, fill me in after you've logged 20-30 hours on the bike. I'd like to hear your thoughts about the wheel size for MTB use.

Cheers,

KP
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Kirk- I'm Brett Downs.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Kirk- I'm Brett Downs.

DOH!

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    [SIZE="1"]Hijack and Soapbox: So bring on the tubeless haters.
    imho, there are a few of us now that have been running Kirk's great Neos, Stans 355 Rims and sealant, ghetto tubeless for months with 0 problems or flats...yes months without flats.
    Bear with me guys, at the risk of repeating myself to try and help, I normally would fix or change tubes 3-6 times per month hear in the sharp rocky rock gardens of the Colorado front range.
    I have had 0 air burps and at this point am going 2 rides or so without reflating. (I thought I was losing more air than I am.)
    I have known guys to easily run the life of a tire with ghetto or other tubeless without flats. On the tire forum you will find guys that run years without flats with the exception of sidewall or other gashes.
    I think it can safely be tossed out there that it is a great way to go for the under 175 lb set.
    I believe I have read mixed results for heavier riders on that lightweight build. But I know several of them with a bit heavier wheel build have had great results.
    I would always hear of guys who had horrible problems going tubeless so I did not do it for years.
    It makes sense if you are thinking progressively enough to go 650b to be well....progressive. (Now that's kinda a regressive comment isn't it.)[/SIZE]
    ok, i'm done. Well update: I recently had my tires sit for a week and the lost only a pound of air at the most.
    Last edited by ghawk; 11-03-2008 at 04:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Hey Brett,

We met on Tuesday in Providence. I was the guy talking with you about the SE Stout.

SE Bikes has something in the works 650b wise as well do they?

Cheers,

Mark
    Kirk- I'm Brett Downs.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Well, I am running 650b's on my Stout and tried one on the front of a 26" MTB. We do have a prototype at work, but I didn't say it was an SE. We did have a rider take it to 5th in Pro at Bear Creek in PA last month. He said he'd switch from the 26" he has always ridden. We just got one bike so far and have submitted measurements for other size frames.

swag ho Administrator
    Thread ressurection.

Is 26er tubes still the way to go?

A google search on 650b tubes leads to many products but they are all roadie width. This can be confusing to noob consumers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hi Francois,

I just converted my tires to tubeless but yes 26" tubes are the way to go. I tried the 650B tubes and the 26" tubes were just as easy to use and cost less/more available.

mtbr member
    I got some tubes from sixfifty. com. SixFifty: 650B Q Tube

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Kenda has the only 650b tubes that I know of. I run tubeless, but carry a 26" tube just in case.

mtbr member
    If you're using tubes, save some cash and use up those 26-inch tubes. They're relatively cheap and good fit. The 29er tubes get folded over and kind of fused together. Hey even some of the 29er riders will use a 26-inch tube in a pinch.

swag ho Administrator
    Koo. Makes sense. Airing the tube up a little bit makes it easier to install it on a bigger rim.

We once had a contest for pumping up an exposed inner tube until it blew up. One of the tubes grew to over 6 feet in diameter before it blew.

fc

mtbr member
    Funny pic, and it shows well how much the tubes can stretch.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    FWIW, Riv carries Schwalbe's 650b tubes...

Inner tube

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    when my team did our Schwalbe order i ordered the ralph is 650 of course and also there corresponding tube it says on the tube:

SCHWALBE
    no. 19a Extralight 40/62-622/635

this is what their website says to use with it so i would assume its right!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ah! There ya go...
    Bicycle Tubes | Schwalbe North America

The 650b tubes that Riv carries are for their tires more along the Fatty Rumpkin size (650b x 42 ish), which is Schwalbe's SV12, instead of the SV19 / SV19A.

For the 2"+ MTB tires, it'd make sense to slide up to the 700c/29er tube instead. Riv actually says somewhere on their site, in a pinch, you could go either way, use a 26" or a 700c tube (650B Tires).

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    26 x 1.9 tubes work perfect for 650b!

Cheers,
    KP

Pacenti Cycle Design