mtbr member
    Jul 2010

ibis sl running new industry nine 27.5 trails?

Is anybody running this setup with the new i9s wheelset?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    well, i guess ill pull the trigger and let you guys know how it all went down.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    How did it turn out? Pics!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Ping!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hey Pelly, I kind of backed down for a bit, they let me borrow some other 27.5 wheelset at the LBS and they didnt not clear from the back. They were not the stans, they were some other cheap brand, so I kind of got discourage.. still want to do it but not sure yet...

mtbr member
    I've run 27.5 on my SL with 3 different wheelsets, none of which are i9's, but 2 were the same rim width, and the latest are Derby's which are substantially wider. There's no reason why the i9's wouldn't work, but you'll have the same rear tire limitations that all SL-B'ers do, and you need to be prepared to loose some finish inside your chainstay yoke, and maybe switch back to a 26" rear if you're going to ride in really muddy conditions. The tires I've used successfully, in order from the most clearance to the least, are:

1 Maxxis Crossmark
    2 Neo Moto 2.1 & Racing Ralph 2.25 (a tie, more or less)
    3 Neo Moto 2.3 & Mavic CrossRoc 2.2

You'll need to limit your shock travel a little (3-4mm) to avoid seat tube contact on bottom out, and if you limit it a little more than that you can run an offset shock bushing that will drop the bb about 7mm, slacken the head angle about a half a degree, and leave you with around 125mm rear travel. This is my favorite configuration by far, even in chunky terrain, despite the reduced travel.... you'll end up with geometry that's right in line with some dedicated 27.5 bikes. The Santa Cruz 5010, for instance, has almost identical geometry to my SL setup, except I have 10mm more front travel with about the same HA, and my BB is about 1/4" higher, which is preferred on my rocky trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for all the input man appreciate it!

mtbr member
    Sure, man. PM me if you have any questions. If you have the stock Fox shock you should buy their volume reduction shims too to help tune the back end for a little more progression...especially with the reduced travel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks, I will surely do! I will PM you when I am set on what wheelset so you can guide me a bit better... appreciate it again!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Timely thread, thanks to both of you. Finally wore through the Racing Ralph I was running in the rear of my converted Mojo SL 650b, and am looking for a replacement tire. Wanted something cheaper and with a little better grip.

Thinking about going with the Crossmark for starters, the more clearance the better as far as I'm concerned. It's tight back there...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Nice, what wheelset are you running Qua?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have a fairly cheap Focus OEM brand wheelset with SLX hubs. Was trying to keep the cost down in case I didn't like it.

Lots of details on my experience here: James' MTB Blog: Best of Both Worlds or Complete Hype? My 650b Experience So Far...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks, ill check it out!

mtbr member
    I think the Crossmark is an AWESOME tire, but where I live (Austin, home of non-stop limestone knives, cedar root pokers, and baby-head rim benders) it would be considered strictly XC race....it's light and fast and surprisingly grippy and forgiving, but delicate...similar to a Racing Ralph without the protection casing. I still have one on hand in case hell freezes over (could happen this year, it seems) and I decide to start XC racing again, move to Dallas, or something else equally unpleasant. If I were still living the SF Bay Area I'd run it in a heartbeat on the rear.
    Quaestionis, my choice hands down would be the Mavic for MUCH better grip and longevity...totally different league from the RR... but you'll pay a small weight penalty, and you will lose a little finish inside your rear triangle from the super aggressive cornering lugs. If those are deal killers for you, then my second choice would be the Neo Moto 2.1 for sure. Neither of those are much, if any cheaper however.
    Be sure to check out this thread for a growing list of options....
    27.5 Tire Size Reference

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Now that is a helpful tire size chart! Thanks for posting it, and the advice. Wish I'd seen your post yesterday before I went and picked up the Crossmark though...

None of the shops near me had the Mavic anyway, so in order to get back on the bike I needed something right away. Now I need to try to figure out how to get the Crossmark to seat up tubeless. I'm using rim strips and a compressor, which was fine for the RaRa's, but getting nowhere with the Crossmark. I'll use a tube if I have to, but hate doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    I think the Crossmark is an AWESOME tire, but where I live (Austin, home of non-stop limestone knives, cedar root pokers, and baby-head rim benders) it would be considered strictly XC race....it's light and fast and surprisingly grippy and forgiving, but delicate...similar to a Racing Ralph without the protection casing. I still have one on hand in case hell freezes over (could happen this year, it seems) and I decide to start XC racing again, move to Dallas, or something else equally unpleasant. If I were still living the SF Bay Area I'd run it in a heartbeat on the rear.
    Quaestionis, my choice hands down would be the Mavic for MUCH better grip and longevity...totally different league from the RR... but you'll pay a small weight penalty, and you will lose a little finish inside your rear triangle from the super aggressive cornering lugs. If those are deal killers for you, then my second choice would be the Neo Moto 2.1 for sure. Neither of those are much, if any cheaper however.
    Be sure to check out this thread for a growing list of options....
    27.5 Tire Size Reference

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Let me know how you end up liking the Crossmark.

I just installed a Vee Rubber Mission 2.1 (after a Nevegal 2.1 wouldn't clear) on my 650b Mojo SL and am satisfied with it's grip here in SoCal. I'm about to convert it to Tubeless as I got a pinch flat on my first ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrera911xc View Post
    Let me know how you end up liking the Crossmark.

I just installed a Vee Rubber Mission 2.1 (after a Nevegal 2.1 wouldn't clear) on my 650b Mojo SL and am satisfied with it's grip here in SoCal. I'm about to convert it to Tubeless as I got a pinch flat on my first ride.
    I have two rides on the Crossmark, and my reviews are mixed. I was never able to get it set up tubeless, the bead just would not seat. Used all the tricks I know and it wasn't happening for me. So I gave up for the time being and put a tube in it.

Pro's: The clearance in the rear is great, significantly better than the Racing Ralph 2.25 I had been running. I got caught out in the rain yesterday and even with the little bit of mud I picked up they didn't rub. If I had been running the RaRa's I would seriously have been carrying the bike off the mountain to avoid the inevitable damage to the yoke from those conditions.

Also, it seems to hook up reasonably well. The trails I rode were rocky and pretty tacky from the recent light rains, so it's not enough of a sample size to say for sure. But I wasn't sliding around or anything.

Con's: Its narrow, and the sidewalls feel flimsy. I guess its billed as more of an XC race tire, so I can't complain. But my style of riding is decidedly more trail/all mountain/enduro/whateverwe'recallingitnow. So I'm a little worried about how they'll hold up on the sharp rocky trails I ride most of the time.

I plan to try to get it set up tubeless again sometime soon, and will update this if my impressions change with more rides. Bottom line for me is that the increased clearance is worth all the negatives at this point. The peace of mind is very nice.

-James

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm running a Crossmark set as tubless on an ARCH-EX rim.
    No problems, including quite a few rock gardens, for the past 9 months.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    maxxis crossmark 2.1 eranshap? could you do a m crossmark 2.2 on the back on the ibis sl?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Well, I got 2.35 on the front and the crossmarxs on the back 2.1 The ibis rides pretty awesome, rolls thru rocks, I will put up some pics so you guys can see the clearance,

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    yes - 2.1, but you already know that :-)

Enjoy !

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Just an update on my Mojo 650b conversion. After multiple flats with the Crossmark in the rear, I switched to the Vee Rubber Mission 2.1. Thanks again to doismellbacon for the link to the tire info thread.

The Mission 2.1 set up tubeless in a snap on my Stan's Arch EX's, and clearance is pretty much as good as the Crossmarks, which is great. The Mission's sidewalls also feel noticeably more robust than the Crossmark's, which I appreciate.

On the other hand, traction with the Missions isn't great on the loose, dusty trails of SoCal right now. I have noticed the rear slipping around a bit during hard cornering, and the tread pattern isn't particularly high. But that's the trade-off with the 650b conversion I guess, any more beefy tread would lead to unacceptable rubbing on the frame.

So my $.02 is that the Vee Rubber Mission tires are better than the Crossmarks, and they're cheaper too. Going to stick with them for now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Nice,

I still have the crossmark on the rear 2.1, and I am yet to run into a flat ( fingers crossed).

Once I trash the crossmark I will try the mission 2.1, I am currently running the crossmark at 20psi and for the rocky, loose terrain here is doing the job, on technical slick rock uphill I do feel it slip under torque, but I try to climb slower so I dont lose control of the rear...

Thanks for the input

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the update. I've been running the Mission 2.1 for about a month. I haven't set it up tubeless yet but I've been running it with around 30psi without any flats.

Initially I was also disappointed with the traction but lately it has improved. I'm not sure if the tire has "broken in" or whether the recent rain has increased the tackiness of the dirt. It was dry and hot when i was riding last Sunday but it definitely gripped better than some of the times before.

Right now my plan is to try it out tubeless at lower pressures and see how it performs. If I'm still sliding all over the place, I'll consider switching to a Geax Saguaro 2.0 or a Neo Moto 2.1.

The Neo Moto is the most attractive but I'm concerned about clearance. It appears some Mojo SL owners run it no problem, while others have issues.