Thread: ibis mojo slr

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

ibis mojo slr

Hi all, Im considering a mojo slr and a 650b conversion and know there are a few out there.
    Id love some info on what tyre choices (read tyre limitations) there will be from some of the guys that are currently running them.
    Im aware that a sl conversion would be safer (thanks Derby and others for your info and trailblazing) but the sl is harder to get hold of in australia with no stocks limiting me to second hand purchase only.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    You will be limited to low volume casing tires like the crossmark 2.1, nevagal 2.1, qusimoto 2.0 and neomoto 2.1 tires. As well as having to limit the travel by shimming the rear shock a few mm. I ran a crossmark 2.1 in my sl and had to shim my rear shock almost 5mm to prevent seat tube rub. that tire only left me 3mm of clearance at the yoke so it had very poor mud clreance. With that said I still would not go back to 26s on my mojo. And if your going to pony up the cash on an slr why not just get the hdr650?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    thanks silver2ks4 - appreciate the reply. cheers !
    ive looked through the forum for the info from guys like yourself riding sl's but was hoping to hear from some slr users as well as there isnt much documented in regards to real world experience as of yet.
    Shimming the shock isnt a big deal and i knew id be limited to smaller bagged tyres but was still hoping some slr users would chime in as earlier reports were that even with those smaller tyres due to changes to the slr even those hardly fit !!
    I can get a slr for what i think is a good price and i also didnt want the weight penalty from the hdr and its a little overboard for my riding style and for my trails as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Cool, my take on having to shim the shock down that much on the sl was that it took away the end stroke of the shock and the progression it needed to keep from bottoming out harshly. I had to run higher pressure and add some float fluid to the air can to compensate for the effect in increased air volume do to the shorter stroke. Also the leverage ratio is almost 3/1 on the mojo so 5mm in shims reduced travel by almost 15mm in the end of the stroke. This was my experience with conversion and for my trails it worked great. Just want you to informed before jumping into it head first.

mtbr member

ibis mojo slr

I've been curious to see more detailed pics and comments on SLR conversions too, but the HD did take over the mantle of conversion frame of choice. I only recall seeing a couple new bike glamour shots of SLR conversions done by Bikeco, but never any follow up pics or comments by the owners. You might try reaching out to Bikeco for more insight because clearly they're familiar. From the posts I've seen over the last couple years it seems the rear tire clearance was improved some over the very first SLR's that were really tight, but by how much is unclear. I assume they'd be similar to an SL since Bikeco was putting Nevegal 2.1 tires on them.

mtbr member
    I would add that I did not have to shim my shock by as much as silver...3mm was enough for my SL until I added an offset bushing to drop the BB height, then I went up to 5mm, maybe 6.... and by adding Fox's volume reducer shims I was able to get a much nicer spring curve....actually dropped my air pressure about 10psi to end up with 30% sag and a nice progressive ramp up, without the midstroke wallow that the stock setup produced.
    SLR "should" be the same in all these regards, but I understand you wanting to see some first hand data.
    If you're saving a bunch of money on an SLR, and are happy running only skinny rear tires with no mud clearance ( or a b6 setup, which is REALLY good on that bike too ) then you'll probably be really stoked on it, but I agree with Silver that the HDR is the better choice and you shouldn't worry about it "being too much bike" or anything like that.... just because it's capable of launching 40 gaps doesn't make you unworthy to own one if you're not.... and the weight diff is really pretty small. Either way you go, it will f'n shredd... my 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    doismellbacon - how did the SL run with offset bushings and which reducer did you run? Just interesting in slackening out my SL and already currently run the mid-sized spacer in the RP23.

mtbr member
    I liked it a lot with the offset bushing. I bought the one others on MTBR have referenced from a guy from Poland selling them on Ebay. I did one bushing for the rear shock mount, which dropped the bb roughly 5mm. It was a good cheap way to test the concept, but after 6 months or so of hard use the dust seals, which I believe are neoprene, are shot, and it's developed quite a bit of slop, making it feel like I have a perpetually loose headset. I would reorder one of the Burgtec Ti units instead....more money, but I suspect it will be higher quality, longer lasting, and not have the excessive free play.
    As far as ride and geometry it was great....not a huge change but noticeable in getting the bb height back down around 13.5 -13.6" with a longer than stock fork and 650b wheels, and I like the slacker than stock head angle better too. It does seem to tone down the anti-squat a little bit, giving the suspension a little softer feel under pedaling, but I was fine with that, and of course I had to reduce my shock travel a little since I was already pushing that to the max with a 650b rear wheel.
    All in all it's a great tuning tool, just be sure to check your bottom out clearances and be prepared to play around with air pressure and volume to get the most out of it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Cheers doismellbacon, was thinking of the Burgtec ones anyway )

mtbr member
    I'd love to hear what you think about them after you do it.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Any updates guys?