mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Ibis Mojo SL-R 650b

Been a long time coming but finally here!
    SL-R Medium
    X Fusion RCX Custom Rear
    X Fusion 650b Velvet Fork with Lockout
    Easton Haven 55mm Stem
    Easton Haven Carbon Bar
    Ibis Lizard Skin Grips
    Chris King Head Set
    WTB Carbon Silverado
    XTR Trail Brakes
    XTR I-Spec Shifters
    XTR Front Der
    XTR Shadow Rear Der
    XTR 36-11T Rear Casette
    XTR Chain
    Ice Tek Discs 180 Front 160 Rear
    RaceFace 2 x 10 Crank with Bash Guard
    DT Swiss 240S Hubs
    DT Swiss Spokes and Nipples
    ZTR Crest 650b wheels running Tubless
    Kenda Nevegal 2.1 650b tyres (Schwables are on Back order)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ibis Mojo SL-R 650b-2012-09-08-11.07.02.jpg  

Ibis Mojo SL-R 650b-2012-09-08-11.07.07.jpg  

Ibis Mojo SL-R 650b-2012-09-08-11.00.27.jpg  

Ibis Mojo SL-R 650b-2012-09-08-10.58.16.jpg  

Ibis Mojo SL-R 650b-2012-09-08-10.59.08.jpg  

Ibis Mojo SL-R 650b-2012-09-08-10.59.52.jpg  

Ibis Mojo SL-R 650b-2012-09-08-10.59.57.jpg  

www.derbyrims.com
    650b - creamy icing on the cake for any Ibis Mojo. Sweet ride! Well worth the long wait.

Have you weighed it?

I found my 2.3 Neo-moto was a tighter fit on an SL-R than the more adequate clearance in the Mojo C and SL . I'm sure others would like to see a good picture your bike's tire clearance with a 2.1 tire.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Beautiful....almost to pretty to ride! Almost, now go get it dirty and let's hear a ride report.

What size front rings on that Race Face crank? It would be nice to see Ibis run that top tube cable internally IMO.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Fab ride, my lbs said the SLR won't 650b, clearly it does. Interested to see rear clearance too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Will weigh it accuratley within the next 3 days..

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Can you post some pics of the rear tire clearance near the bb?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ibis4me View Post
    SL-R Medium
    X Fusion RCX Custom Rear
    X Fusion 650b Velvet Fork with Lockout
    Easton Haven 55mm Stem
    Easton Haven Carbon Bar
    Ibis Lizard Skin Grips
    Chris King Head Set
    WTB Carbon Silverado
    XTR Trail Brakes
    XTR I-Spec Shifters
    XTR Front Der
    XTR Shadow Rear Der
    XTR 36-11T Rear Casette
    XTR Chain
    Ice Tek Discs 180 Front 160 Rear
    RaceFace 2 x 10 Crank with Bash Guard
    DT Swiss 240S Hubs
    DT Swiss Spokes and Nipples
    ZTR Crest 650b wheels running Tubless
    Kenda Nevegal 2.1 650b tyres (Schwables are on Back order)
    ------

Yes, very nice work! I found the Neo 2.1 to fit "better than expected" on the SLR, so would also love to see pics of the rear CS clearance and seat tube bottom out.

You might also try drpping the fork to 130 (might require a drilled hole...), but will reduce the A-C to ~505, drop your BB and get closer to the original intention this geometry. I ended up using a zerostack bottom cup also, which requires a straight steerer, but the handling really improved (for me). The Velvet is about +10mm A-C over any given Fox 26" fork, so you really need to work to get the front back down. That said, it is a really nice fork at 130 or 140...

Have fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Photo added of wheel clearance

Quote Originally Posted by redbarn View Post
    ------

Yes, very nice work! I found the Neo 2.1 to fit "better than expected" on the SLR, so would also love to see pics of the rear CS clearance and seat tube bottom out.

You might also try drpping the fork to 130 (might require a drilled hole...), but will reduce the A-C to ~505, drop your BB and get closer to the original intention this geometry. I ended up using a zerostack bottom cup also, which requires a straight steerer, but the handling really improved (for me). The Velvet is about +10mm A-C over any given Fox 26" fork, so you really need to work to get the front back down. That said, it is a really nice fork at 130 or 140...

Have fun.
    Hi there Posted Photo of rear cs clearance and go to BikeCo and in photo's Ibis SL-R 650b here is my bike which is the first to have this config..You havve to get the rear shock specifically tunned for this to work...
    BikeCo Tunned both the Rear and The front shox for this reason so it would ride super smooth and beleave me its ride was way more than I expected it to be...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ibis Mojo SL-R 650b-2012-09-08-19.38.52.jpg  

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by ibis4me View Post
    Fantastic!
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Beautiful....almost to pretty to ride! Almost, now go get it dirty and let's hear a ride report.

What size front rings on that Race Face crank? It would be nice to see Ibis run that top tube cable internally IMO.

Yeah I agree internal cable routing would be the icing on the cake..

Front Chain rings are 36T and 24T

OK before we start we need to make one thing very clear!

I’ve now owned three Ibis Cycles 2 HD’s and now the SL-R 650b

The first HD was an amazing bike, the second was and absolute thriller, night and day difference against the 1st HD.

In the weekend I finally got to take the SL-R out and put it thru it paces

I wanted to compare the two bikes apples for apples as I have ridden Woodhill for several years I picked a course that takes an honest two hours to do!

Just like other times when taking the HD out Track conditions were perfect the Sand was hard and the tracks were fast..

I put 40psi in the rear and 38 psi in the front tyre, set the rear shock to two clicks in so the lever was half way, I did not touch the air pressure in either the fork or the rear shock as I wanted to see how it complied straight off..

So I put the front chain ring on 36T press the start button on my Garmin and headed off.

Straight away it was noticeable that I was in for some good times ahead.

The first hill is a little pinch to the top, the SL-R just blitzed it like it wasn’t even there, oh boy here we go, this is something super special..

With the fork locked out and 2 gears in on the rear, the SL-R was blowing hills and climbing like no tomorrow, it got to a point where I was wondering how on earth could this be this good

Along the single track it tracked like no other, it was as straight as a dime and quick and nimble, if you needed to change direction at any point it would do so in a flash there was absolutely no hesitation.

I smashed up the next couple of hills and down the next couple of trails thinking to myself how on earth could this be!

This bike is so electrifying it just goes and goes and goes…

The tyres and rolling are incredible you roll over tree roots and bumps with ease it just slices them in half.

You point it at a downhill and it Lights up and bombs down just like the HD would…

By now I’ve got a grin from ear to ear this is truly amazing and I just hammered it thru the course knowing in complete confidence that this was going to do everything asked of it and more…

But the best was to come when I got back to the car park, as like before on the HD I press Start when I go thru the gate and press the stop when I finished..

I pressed stop when I went thru the gate and there you go 1.40mins, that’s right 20mins off my personal best time BOOM!

So there you go, I never once went to the lower front chain ring and I’m starting to wonder if I ever will..

So now I’m lost for words but at the same time Super Happy…

Yes it is truly a sick bike…

Joe and Kara at Bike Co have done a truly amazing jobon the Suspension, I haven’t touched the air pressure and I won’t need to its BANG ON!

The rear shock O’ring is about 8mm from the end and the front for is about 20mm from the end of its travel and that’s fine by me..

The sad thing now is will the HD get ridden again, or will I need to get ZTR 650b’s for the HD??

Well Done to Kara at Bikeco for helping to build what has turned out to be an Epic piece of Machinery……

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Looks like your brake handles are reverse dude.... (snicker snicker). Us 'mericans like our front brake on the left.... why.... I don't even know!

Great looking rig mate!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CEB View Post
    Looks like your brake handles are reverse dude.... (snicker snicker). Us 'mericans like our front brake on the left.... why.... I don't even know!

Great looking rig mate!
    Yeah personal preference my Motorbike was right hand front so just ran the same on the Ibis..

mtbr member
    Just when I thought big projects were behind me for a while.

Anyway, I see this Mojo/Carbon/650b a distinct possibility -if anything, up ahead. Thanks for the write-up.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Awesome looking bike dude!
    You mentioned that the bike shop had to set up the rear shock! Any idea what they had to do to it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sublux View Post
    Awesome looking bike dude!
    You mentioned that the bike shop had to set up the rear shock! Any idea what they had to do to it?
    Yeah thanks... you are better to contact them The Bikeco, ask for Kara or Joe tell them youve been reading about the SLR 650b they'll know who's bike it is...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I put 40psi in the rear and 38 psi in the front tyre
    Really high pressure so why? I'd get beat up pretty good running pressure like that and I live in rock country.

Did you ever get the weight of the bike??

Years of dirt bike riding I also do this with my brakes. Makes for a cleaner routing for the front brake also IMO.

Hopefully in the next iteration of this frame Ibis will have more 650B clearance, internal cable routing and a big 56mm lower head tube for ZS with taper fork.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Suhwwwweeeeeeetttt build. I'm sold on the DW and, in particular, Ibis' take on it. I've had a Turner 5 Spot and was sold on DW from then on. I have a TRc and while it's a nice riding frame, I'm still not sold on the VPP's pedal feedback.

What's the build weight on this bad boy?

Also, that rear tire clearance is really close. And that's with a 2.1? Still, super nice ride there
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Great setup, pretty much what I would like. Have ridden the SLR, but the initial demo setup was shocking. Went back, complained and got it changed, different forks, stem, which made a massive difference and it rode very very sweetly.
    Happy riding.
    Now it is just SLR v TRC for me!
    I am interested in the weight too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    How has the 650b SL-r been holding up? Any updates? Would be great to get your slighty longer time review. Have been toying with the idea of a SL-r or a HD for 650b. Thanks
    Parlee Z5
    Alliance 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Interested to see rear clearance too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Nice man welcome to 650b-elieve

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Could you post a few more pics of the front derailleur?

I have the same sl-r, sixc cranks, 24/36/bash turbine combo, xtr direct FD, xtr shifters but have had a little trouble getting the FD perfect. Ive also had a little issue with it hitting the link too,

Seem to have it solved but I had to space the cranks out to a 52mm line,

Appreciate it,

PS were you able to dial in the FD perfect? How are your up shifts from the 24t to 36t? Mine are a little lazy,

Awesome bike!!!