mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Ibis mojo hd 650b hitting frame?

I just converted my 2012 ibis mojo hd 160 to 650b. I am running stans flow wheels with nobby nic 2.25 rear tire. I have my rear shock shimmed approx 1/8 of an inch and when my shock has no air in it the tire is very close to the rear of the front triangle. After my first ride today I noticed that the tire slightly touched the front triangle, I have clear protective tape that had a few run marks on it. I also noticed my front triangle had a slight notch in the seat tube area where the tire hit. Is this notch normal on the hd frames or did I destroy my bike? Any help would be appreciated. I will try to include pictures ASAP. Thank you

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If you mean if there is suppose to be a flat area around the rear seat tube then you are okay, my mojo hd is somewhat flat in that area.

www.derbyrims.com
    An HD160 needs at least 1/4" shock shim to use a 650b wheel. 2.25" shock shaft travel is the maximum for 650b use with the 2nd Generation HD frame, which it seems you have.

And either reduce air volume in the shock to increase ramp up bottom resistance without firming most of travel, or add air pressure to firm the spring, to prevent hard bottoming with the shortened shock travel. If a Fox air shock, Fox sells a $25 air volume reduction kit which fits inside the air can with any Fox air shock. Another option is to make your shock travel limiting shims very wide, to the limit of width inside where they are added, to reduce air volume in good proportion to the limit of travel.

The HD's delivered to dealers after August 2011, all HD's with fixed font derailleur mount, had added a tire clearance "notch" at the back of the seat tube.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I
    Quote Originally Posted by Agledhill View Post
    I just converted my 2012 ibis mojo hd 160 to 650b. I am running stans flow wheels with nobby nic 2.25 rear tire. I have my rear shock shimmed approx 1/8 of an inch and when my shock has no air in it the tire is very close to the rear of the front triangle. After my first ride today I noticed that the tire slightly touched the front triangle, I have clear protective tape that had a few run marks on it. I also noticed my front triangle had a slight notch in the seat tube area where the tire hit. Is this notch normal on the hd frames or did I destroy my bike? Any help would be appreciated. I will try to include pictures ASAP. Thank you

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    If ibis will come out with a longer rear triangle by 1/2" for hd 160 ,i think adapting 650b wheels will be no problem.