Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

I thought I was finished with 29ers, but . . .

After selling my Sultan and buying a Carbine 275, I thought I had found bike Nirvana. I swore off FS 29ers. The Carbine is so much more fun than the Sultan. It's a great bike. However, I was offered a great deal on a new Ibis Ripley that I could not pass up. I was skeptical about going back to a 29er after completely falling in love with the Carbine. Boy was I surprised by the Ripley. I know this has been said in other forums, but it does not ride like a 29er. I have it set up with a 140mm fork and 2.35 NN in front and the bike rips. In fact, it seems more maneuverable than the Carbine (it has over an inch shorter wheelbase). The bikes are very close in performance. General climbing, I will give a slight nod to the more efficient Ripley. Technical climbing is pretty even. Technical descending is fairly even, especially on the slower stuff. When the speeds get higher, the extra travel on the Carbine becomes a factor. Finally, as to looks (which is not a big factor for me) I give the nod to the Carbine. In my opinion, the matte Carbine is the best looking bike on the market today. The Green Lantern graphics on the Ripley are too loud for me.

Now I have a dilemma. My wife says that I can't keep both bikes, but I can't decide which one to keep. They are both excellent. I'll probably get away with a couple more weeks of riding both before she forces me into a decision. At this point, I can't decide which one to keep and which one to sell.
    Turner Sultan
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Ducati M1100s
    Husaberg TE 250
    KTM 300
    RD 400

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Keep them both, get a new wife.

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by djembe975 View Post
    Keep them both, get a new wife.
    Words of wisdom
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by tortfeasor View Post
    After selling my Sultan and buying a Carbine 275, I thought I had found bike Nirvana. I swore off FS 29ers. The Carbine is so much more fun than the Sultan. It's a great bike. However, I was offered a great deal on a new Ibis Ripley that I could not pass up. I was skeptical about going back to a 29er after completely falling in love with the Carbine. Boy was I surprised by the Ripley. I know this has been said in other forums, but it does not ride like a 29er. I have it set up with a 140mm fork and 2.35 NN in front and the bike rips. In fact, it seems more maneuverable than the Carbine (it has over an inch shorter wheelbase). The bikes are very close in performance. General climbing, I will give a slight nod to the more efficient Ripley. Technical climbing is pretty even. Technical descending is fairly even, especially on the slower stuff. When the speeds get higher, the extra travel on the Carbine becomes a factor. Finally, as to looks (which is not a big factor for me) I give the nod to the Carbine. In my opinion, the matte Carbine is the best looking bike on the market today. The Green Lantern graphics on the Ripley are too loud for me.

Now I have a dilemma. My wife says that I can't keep both bikes, but I can't decide which one to keep. They are both excellent. I'll probably get away with a couple more weeks of riding both before she forces me into a decision. At this point, I can't decide which one to keep and which one to sell.
    Keep the Carbine.

Then go post this in the 29'er forum and get different advice

Good luck

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Don't keep both "give" one to her

mtbr member
    In defense of my wife, who is a definite keeper, I did get a new dirt bike in October, plus the two new mountain bikes this year. So she is not being unreasonable by suggesting that I should get rid of one of them. It is just hard to decide between the two bikes.

BTW, I did not post this in the 29er forum because my experience has been that this forum does not have near as much of the zealotism that is found in the 29er forum. Maybe I was wrong. In any event, I posted in this forum to voice my surprise over how good the current crop of 29ers is over those of the last few years, not to start yet another tire size debate.
    Turner Sultan
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Ducati M1100s
    Husaberg TE 250
    KTM 300
    RD 400

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    First World problems are the truly difficult ones...

if you were a kid starving in mozambique we'd likely all have much better advice and bea able to assist -

however - as it stands - im at a loss as truly you should keep both bikes and the wife - maybe take a second wife and you can have a family vote ?? that should solve it - 2 out of 3 is majority

or a game of rochambeau with the current wife to decide - sounds like a brilliant solution - and if you dont like the result - see solution posted above

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Tough choices! I have a MOJO HD converted to 650b & to me 26" wheels are dead, but that Ripley on the other hand is very tempting. I'm demoing one in 2 weeks, but I plan on keeping both bikes! Get rid of the dirt bike!

mtbr member
    Don't ask us which one to keep. Go ride them for 2 more weeks and pick the one you enjoy the most. It sounds like you can't really go wrong.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

dwt
    mtbr member

In defense of my wife, who is a definite keeper, I did get a new dirt bike in October, plus the two new mountain bikes this year. So she is not being unreasonable by suggesting that I should get rid of one of them. It is just hard to decide between the two bikes.

BTW, I did not post this in the 29er forum because my experience has been that this forum does not have near as much of the zealotism that is found in the 29er forum. Maybe I was wrong. In any event, I posted in this forum to voice my surprise over how good the current crop of 29ers is over those of the last few years, not to start yet another tire size debate.
    Not a lot of kool aid over here. Most own bikes in more than one wheel size, and think bikes are personal and subjective choices.

But this IS the 650b/ 27.5" forum, so as my first reply indicates, your question is sort of a loaded one.

I do get annoyed and heated though with all the "it's all about marketing" ; "too similar to 26" and "it's being forced on consumers by the bike industry" posts that crop up all the time, often by trolls who have never so much as demoed one personally. It's a choice is all and for many riders a good one.

I switch between 27.5" and 29" all the time according to my mood. If you can arrange to keep both without messing up the marriage, do it.

mtbr member
    Easy solution. Send one to me, and you can come visit and ride it every so often. Problem solved.

MTB B'dos
    DWT, "We're not Zealots over in here" Really

I agree with Mtbbiker, get ride of the dirt bike and keep both until you can decide Seriously just ride them until she gives you the ultimatum and then choose. My advice would be to try to get out to some new trails you haven't ridden before with both of them and see which feels more confident riding new trails "blind" that to me would be the keeper.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Im going to agree also, get rid of dirt bike as i did. Old ktm didnt get much love anyways with so many cool mtb to ride. Set Carbine to Six" travel mode and put a 2014 boxxer 650b on it when released. Keep the ripley for trails.

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    DWT, "We're not Zealots over in here" Really .
    Really. No 27.5" equivalent of David Copperfield here that insists everyone must ride a certain wheel size because it is "superior" to all others, that others are "Ill conceived", that one bike wheel size cures cancer and will lead to World Peace.

Mostly folks here simply point out that the tweener is a viable choice, is not "totally a marketing ploy", and that you should probably actually ride one before dissing it. You may still hate it after riding it, but at least you will have an informed opinion and won't be an armchair quarterback talking out of your arse.

MTB B'dos
    For I don't know the how many evr time - I've ridden 650B and I don't like it, it does nothing better than any 29er and does a good few things worse. Now if you put one on the front of an old 26er, well then there's a possibility to improve, as with my Trance, but that's it for me. I was testing 650B tyres before you even knew they were in a companies thought process

Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Really. No 27.5" equivalent of David Copperfield here that insists everyone must ride a certain wheel size because it is "superior" to all others, that others are "Ill conceived", that one bike wheel size cures cancer and will lead to World Peace.

Mostly folks here simply point out that the tweener is a viable choice, is not "totally a marketing ploy", and that you should probably actually ride one before dissing it. You may still hate it after riding it, but at least you will have an informed opinion and won't be an armchair quarterback talking out of your arse.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Sounds like the Carbine is more versatile while the Ripley is faster... tough call. 650b still carries a premium while 29er stuff is getting cheaper.
    Killing it with close inspection.

dwt
    mtbr member

For I don't know the how many evr time - I've ridden 650B and I don't like it, it does nothing better than any 29er and does a good few things worse. Now if you put one on the front of an old 26er, well then there's a possibility to improve, as with my Trance, but that's it for me. I was testing 650B tyres before you even knew they were in a companies thought process
    I first tested mine 3 seasons back. Hand built the wheels using 1st generation Velocity Blunt rims (the silver ones) and Pacenti Neo Moto tires. Swapped them for my 26" wheels on a Chinese carbon HT frame. I liked mine.

But now that I own both a 27.5" & 29" FS bike, as I adapt to the 29 I'm seeing some characteristics I do like better. Rocky technical climbs for one. As far as maneuvering, with a ZTR Crest rim, Hope pro2 Evo hub, and RoRo tire, the 29'er lofts about the same as the 27.5". The front ends of the two bikes weigh about the same 120 travel fork vs. 130mm. In total, my TallBoy is close to 5 lbs lighter than my Jamis 650b.

So, I'm no newbie and no kool aid drinker. I'm just a bike addict who loves to mess around with bikes. I still want to swap the Jamis for a carbon 140mm 27.5" bike in the sub 25 lbs range. I will have to hoard pennies for a while, but that is my personal dream bike.

I think 27.5" is viable on its own, without over the top marketing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    , , you seem to like using them so...

and, What are the mountain ranges in barbados? - Yahoo! Answers

Grams Light Bikes
    Ripley.

I own an HD which is currently in 27.5 mode and a Ripley. The HD 160 has been mostly relegated to the basement, though I have pulled it out for the occasional bike park trip or when I am testing the new Cane Creek DBAir CS. Glad I still get to keep both bikes!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    In fact, it seems more maneuverable than the Carbine (it has over an inch shorter wheelbase).
    +1 ripley

General climbing, I will give a slight nod to the more efficient Ripley. Technical climbing is pretty even.
    + 1 ripley

Technical descending is fairly even, especially on the slower stuff. When the speeds get higher, the extra travel on the Carbine becomes a factor.
    + 1 carbine

Finally, as to looks (which is not a big factor for me) I give the nod to the Carbine. In my opinion, the matte Carbine is the best looking bike on the market today. The Green Lantern graphics on the Ripley are too loud for me.
    + 1 carbine

Its a draw. keep them both.

If looks and extra travel for descending is more important than climbing and maneurability then the carbine wins.

MTB B'dos
    Come on down ANY time you feel like, I'll hook you up with some lodgings and show you our NON mountainous island, I'll even ride back for the truck when you're setting your tired, lazy arse down and can't go on Pity there's no such creation that could get me off this island and to someplace that has mountains so I could ride them http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...51495398,d.cWc

Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    , , you seem to like using them so...

and, What are the mountain ranges in barbados? - Yahoo! Answers
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    sell the one you can get the most for.

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by gxglass View Post
    sell the one you can get the most for.
    Need to post pics of the bikes and the wife. I'm sure you could get an offer you could not refuse on one of them in an auction on this forum

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Come on down ANY time you feel like, I'll hook you up with some lodgings and show you our NON mountainous island, I'll even ride back for the truck when you're setting your tired, lazy arse down and can't go on Pity there's no such creation that could get me off this island and to someplace that has mountains so I could ride them http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...51495398,d.cWc
    I have no doubt you have a decent trail system, I'm just not sure what it has to do with riders everywhere else in the world, your blacket statement about how 27.5 does nothing as well as 29er is meaningless. There are still mountain towns in my part of the world where 26" is still the dominant wheel size because of the terrain. What works for you doesn't work for everyone else in the world. Bring your 29er to the Rockies anytime, I know lots of riders on 26"and 650b that would love to school you.

I value the opinion of a mountain bike rider that is on a mountain trail the moment they walk out their back door more than one that has to jump on an airplane to get to one. I find you comical at best.

MTB B'dos
    Sad to say, another one that made it through the school system, but that didn't really learn much, especially reading comprehension I said I don't like 650B and I don't find it does anything better than my 29ers, hopefully this explanation of this being MY opinion and MY conclusion helps you understand. As for doesn't work on a lot of other places trails in the world The fact that I've been to Colorado & Wyoming to ride and ridden with loads out there who also prefer 29ers must just mean I found like minded individuals who are just narrow minded like me right

Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    I have no doubt you have a decent trail system, I'm just not sure what it has to do with riders everywhere else in the world, your blacket statement about how 27.5 does nothing as well as 29er is meaningless. There are still mountain towns in my part of the world where 26" is still the dominant wheel size because of the terrain. What works for you doesn't work for everyone else in the world. Bring your 29er to the Rockies anytime, I know lots of riders on 26"and 650b that would love to school you.

I value the opinion of a mountain bike rider that is on a mountain trail the moment they walk out their back door more than one that has to jump on an airplane to get to one. I find you comical at best.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast