Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Hub Swap from 20mm to 15mm on American Classic 650BXC Front Wheel

Hi. SIXFIFTY | 650b Gear - Home has a great deal on some American Classic 650 XBC wheels that are factory take offs from Jamis Dakar B2 bikes. ($350 for the pair) I recently bought that same frame from them, but rather than buy a XFusion or a White Brothers 650b specific fork, bought a 2012 Fox Talas Terralogic 125-150mm fork from Price Point for a great price. My new fork is 15mm thru axle and the front wheel of the American Classic wheel set on sale is 20mm, so it won't fit. I called American Classic and there is not an 20 to 15mm adapter for those wheels, so would have to replace the front hub with a 15mm thru axle compatible unit. My questions are:

1- Opinions on that wheel set for that price.
    2- I believe I can buy a new hub and re-use the spokes and nipples? Other than being 32 holes and 15mm axle, what other specs I would have to check to re-use the spokes and nipples?
    3- What hubs would be recommended? I have seen American Classic hubs for $100 at Ebay, but also saw a Shimano XTR from hub for the same price (though the Shimano is center lock and my front disc is IS 6 bolts, so would then have to get it replaced)
    4- What would be a reasonable labor cost to de-laced the wheel and re-lace with the new hub?

Thanks,

Francisco
    IMG Jamis Sixfifty B2
    Gone, but not forgotten:GT LTS-3, GT Zascar Expert Carbon, Look 986, Giant Anthem Advanced

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i'm pretty surprised there are no 15mm ends, could be about as much hassle to have some 15mm adapters made or modified. pick some for hope dimension or origin8 and see if they fit, and if not what needs to happen to make it work. they are not very complicated.

mtbr member
    I asked American Classic about that (using some third party 20 to 15mm adapters on their wheels) but they did not recommend it. They do have adapters for other wheels, but not on those

Do you think the wheels for $350, even having to modify the front wheel and perhaps spending around $125-150 to convert it, is a good deal? I look elsewhere and the lowest price, other than theirs, is close to $600.
    IMG Jamis Sixfifty B2
    Gone, but not forgotten:GT LTS-3, GT Zascar Expert Carbon, Look 986, Giant Anthem Advanced

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    of course they are not going to recommend using any other brand or modifying anything...they have a business to run!

as far as whether they were a good deal is pretty relative, if you can use the rear as-is and either make an adapter work or get a front hub for less than a hundred and do the swap work yourself, probably totally worth it. but if you do not have the skills and have to pay someone else, weelllll, worth it depends on you!

mtbr member
    Thanks. I have never done a de-lace /re-lace before, but would imagine a DIY guide should be available somewhere in the web. I do have a kit that I bought from morning star wheels to eliminate disc springbuck (truing them) that can also be used to do truing of the wheels, so perhaps I could do it myself.
    IMG Jamis Sixfifty B2

mtbr member
    Will any 100mm hub work or does it has to be an AC for the spokes to be re-used?
    IMG Jamis Sixfifty B2

Kicker of Elves
    I'm have a similar plan except I'm rebuilding the front with a Rotaz hub ($50.00 shipped, light weight, looks like an AC, said to be the company who actually manufactures the AC).

I did the spoke calc and it should swap over without new spokes. We'll see when they get here in the middle of this week.

Check bikehubstore.com for info on the hub if interested.

mtbr member
    I finally decided to order the American Classic 650 BXC wheels today from SixFifty for $330 plus shipping, along with a pair of Schwalbe Racing Ralph's 2.25 and an American Classic 15 mm front hub (off Ebay) If I decide to run them the wheels on tubes by now, can I buy 29 incher tubes or do I need 650b specific tubes?
    Last edited by fskywalker; 03-10-2012 at 02:05 PM.
    IMG Jamis Sixfifty B2

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    plain 26" tubes.

mtbr member
    That's great! I think I still have a couple of tubes that I bought before converting my first set of wheels to tubeless.
    IMG Jamis Sixfifty B2

mtbr member
    Just got the new AC 650 BXC wheels yesterday, nice looking! I now have to wait for the arrival if the new front hub to take it to my LBS for the 20mm to 15 mm thru axle conversion.
    Last edited by fskywalker; 03-10-2012 at 02:08 PM.
    IMG Jamis Sixfifty B2

NedwannaB

To reuse spokes depends

Quote Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
    Just got the new AC 650 BXC wheels yesterday, nice looking! I now have to wait to the new from hub to take it to my LBS for the 20mm to 15 mm thru axle conversion.
    They'll have to check specs on ea hub and compare the radius pattern on the holes on flanges. It's not just about spoke count. They may work, if not figure about $1 per spoke and probably 1/2 to an hour labor depending on if they have to unlace your wheel or not.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Hi. I bought exactly the same hub from American Classic, but 15mm; they said I can reuse the spokes, so should be a labor only job. I was quoted by 2 LBS $20 and $30 for the labor. I plan to sell the AC 20mm axle so at the end the extra cost should not be that bad.
    IMG Jamis Sixfifty B2

NedwannaB

Bingo!

Hi. I bought exactly the same hub from American Classic, but 15mm; they said I can reuse the spokes, so should be a labor only job. I was quoted by 2 LBS $20 and $30 for the labor. I plan to sell the AC 20mm axle so at the end the extra cost should not be that bad.
    You're almost good to go.

Trail Care Coordinator
    If you have the same hub shell why not just change the axle instead of relacing?

mtbr member
    Good point! Should get the hub today, will try that!!
    IMG Jamis Sixfifty B2

NedwannaB

Confused.....

Good point! Should get the hub today, will try that!!
    I thought you were told by lbs that your 20mm hub wouldn't interchange with the 15 and that's why you bought the new hub??

mtbr member
    What I understand from the suggestion above is that perhaps I can dissasemble the internals of the 20mm and 15mm hubs and swap them; what AC told me was not available is an adapter to fit inside the 20mm cavity to make it 15mm (sleeve)
    Last edited by fskywalker; 03-13-2012 at 05:29 PM.
    IMG Jamis Sixfifty B2

jrm
    mtbr member

With most convertible hubs

The only difference btwn a 15mm and a 20mm are the end caps that hold the axle while the hub shells remain the same. You could begin by removing the AC end caps taking some OD measurements and take into account how the end cap is secured in the hub shell. Then survey what manufacturers end caps share, or come close to that same OD and securing. Sure is a lot cheaper.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

NedwannaB

Got it

What I understand from the suggestion above is thst perhaps I can dissasemble the internals of the 20mm and 15mm hubs and swap them; what AC told me was not abailable is an adapter to fit inside the 20mm cavity to make it 15mm (sleeve)
    The 20mm t/a Havens I got a "great deal" on weren't adaptable to 15, or 9mm qr either. So I ended up getting some 20mm lowers thrown in the deal to make it worth while.

nothing relevant to say
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    The only difference btwn a 15mm and a 20mm are the end caps that hold the axle while the hub shells remain the same. You could begin by removing the AC end caps taking some OD measurements and take into account how the end cap is secured in the hub shell. Then survey what manufacturers end caps share, or come close to that same OD and securing. Sure is a lot cheaper.
    Not going to work. Thought flanges are the same, the hub shell is not. Their 15TA does use the same hub shell as their standard QR hub. just a different axle setup. the 20mm is a totally different hub. only the flanges are the same. making the 2 hubs have the same flanges sizes gave American Classic the ability to stock less spokes when building wheels. The 15mm/QR hub pretty much had a maxed-out flange width for building strong wheels.

trust me on this. I worked there.

jrm
    mtbr member

And thats why i began the

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked Headtube View Post
    Not going to work. Thought flanges are the same, the hub shell is not. Their 15TA does use the same hub shell as their standard QR hub. just a different axle setup. the 20mm is a totally different hub. only the flanges are the same. making the 2 hubs have the same flanges sizes gave American Classic the ability to stock less spokes when building wheels. The 15mm/QR hub pretty much had a maxed-out flange width for building strong wheels.

trust me on this. I worked there.
    post with "most convertible hubs". Thanks for the inside scope.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    The new QR15 hub got misplaced by USPS mail, I should FINALLY get it delivered today. I installed yesterday a 2.25 inch Racing Ralph on the rear one with the American Classic tubeless kit and Stans fluid and the wheels does look good!

New American Classic 650BXC wheel on the left, Mavic Crossmax SLR 26er wheel on the right:

IMG Jamis Sixfifty B2

mtbr member
    I took today the wheel and new hub to my LBS, it should be ready by Friday!
    IMG Jamis Sixfifty B2

mtbr member
    Swap is done! The new QR15 American Classic hub is A LOT lighter than the QR 20, next step is to make the wheel tubeless like already done to the rear wheel!

IMG Jamis Sixfifty B2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast