mtbr member
    Jan 2004

How's the "Revised" LB Rims Holding UP?

SO I read somewhere here and their website that LB has revised their process making a supposedly stronger rim.

True?
    We Ride In God's Country!

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    bump, interested if they've solved some of the cracking problems
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I never owned the older version but have been on the "revised" version since mid April and they've taken everything I can throw at them so far including the NEMBA drops down at NAM and rough rocks/roots at Callahan State Park. Still true and no issues to date (knocking on wood as I write this).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kburati View Post
    I never owned the older version but have been on the "revised" version since mid April and they've taken everything I can throw at them so far including the NEMBA drops down at NAM and rough rocks/roots at Callahan State Park. Still true and no issues to date (knocking on wood as I write this).
    Great, but not knowing what those trails are like, maybe you can tell us more specifically. Like are these DH-technical World Cup type trails? Now that would make me a believer. I hesitate since this company is overseas and returns and customer service isn't the easiest, like making a toll-free call.

Also, I'm confused on their different weaves. 3k, 12k, UD? Huh?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I've never ridden a DH World Cup course except the old one up at Bromont, my trails aren't in this category, if they were I wouldn't be riding my trail bike either. My local trails have lots of jarring roots, loose baby head sized rocks and lots of granite/sharp rock too. I've had rocks kick up into the front rim many times and no damage so far, NAM has lots of drops, 3-5' but most have fairly smoothed out landings these days. The different weaves are cosmetic, explained on the LB site, UD is like flat black where the other two look like traditional carbon patterns.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kburati View Post
    ...UD is like flat black where the other two look like traditional carbon patterns.
    You can get UD in gloss too...
    The 3K is the traditional small weave where the 12K is the larger/blockier weave.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Those weaves are purely cosmetic, no changes in strength? Ok.

I'm thinking about getting they're built wheelsets with Hope hubs. I don't trust those cheapie Novatec's. If they're anything like the Stan's hubs, the seals are about as good as masking tape. I'd pay the extra $225 or something for the made in the UK Hope hubs.

IDK though. For about the same $ as this china-made wheelset, I can get a King/Flow/Arch wheelset with a proven history and local customer service.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    The Novatecs runs sealed bearings, so you can purchase any number of high quality bearings to replace them.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    The Novatecs runs sealed bearings, so you can purchase any number of high quality bearings to replace them.
    The Stan's hubs are sealed bearings too. It's the end cap seals I'm referring too. Heck, everytime I remove my front wheel, the caps just fall off. Sometimes my freehub body just comes off, cassette and all, when I remove the rear wheel from the frame. These hubs are just junk. And the pawls are racheting with three tiny little spring steel tabs. I'm afraid what will happen when I have to submerge the hub in a creek crossing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Had mine for 6 months. Rode plenty of rocky cross country on a hard tail. Rims and hubs are fine. No buckles yet. Keep expecting probs but none yet. Will post back if I have any troubles like others.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How about water crossings with those hubs? Like I said, I think the Stans hubs would be waterlogged and rusted out after a crossing. Terrible seals.

Maromero
    What about nipple corrotion issues? Is brass the only solution?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I live in australia and we don't get much rain - so none of these issues. I'm very impressed with these wheels in these conditions so far (6 months).

Recently had a hell of a time getting a tyre on my Stans Ztr 29er/Hope Hubs commuter mtb. Couldn't manage to set up tubeless as the tyre was so tight (common problem according to WMB). I'm very experienced with tubeless and this tyre was so tight. I had to stand on the tyre and use the lever to stop it popping off. Eventually managed to get a tube in without pinching. Set up these wheels in 5 mins no sealant, no leaks, no difficulties at all - so another plus. With these 650b wheels my bike weighs less than 10kg.