new but eager :-)
    Dec 2011

How are these tires?

I am converting the front end of my Giant Yukon FX. Halo wheel, Rockshox Revelation 650b fork. I am stuck on the tire... I want something light and fast for xc racing, but want some longevity.
    I live and ride in Pennsylvania, lots of rock. I will not be running tubeless initially. I am female ~130 lbs. I am thinking WTB wolverine tire for the front. Anyone have experience with this tire?

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    I am not impressed with Wolverine's in SoCal. They seem to washout in the front a bit too easy and don't grip as well as i would expect on loose climbs in the rear. Just "ok" for weight, volume, and durability.

So far, for the rear, the Crossmark is doing better for me. Racing Ralph was pretty good in everything except durability as long as you get the pressures right.

Now, for the front which you asked about, maybe look into the Nobby Nick (snakeskin) for the front. Not super light, but, its hard to get lighter with durability. Some ppl have found the Crossmark to do well in the front after slight alteration (article) .

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Pretty much what jetboy said, washout and no grip. Built up a Jamis 650 Dragon with WTB Wolverine front and rear. Sliced rear tire and replaced it with another Wolverine since that was all the shop had. Next ride I cut the Wolverine up front. Moved the new one from rear to front and put a Vee Mission on back. It might just be my line choice but these are the first tires I have had cut problems with. The owner of the LBS I buy from runs 650 too and he won't run them. He had em on a month before he took em off his bike.

new but eager :-)
    Dec 2011

Re: How are these tires?

Wow, not good. Thanks for the input. I don't think I want to do the modification, but looks interesting. I guess I'll have to go with the NN. Sure wish Continental would jump on the 27.5 bandwagon...

I have a Nevegal 2.35 upfront now in 26". Great tire but just too slow for racing, so don't want to go that route.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by hike-run-bike View Post
    Wow, not good. Thanks for the input. I don't think I want to do the modification, but looks interesting. I guess I'll have to go with the NN. Sure wish Continental would jump on the 27.5 bandwagon...

I have a Nevegal 2.35 upfront now in 26". Great tire but just too slow for racing, so don't want to go that route.

Actually, be patient, Continentals do have some 650's in the works:

Loaded USA 650B/27.5 XLite Wheel Set

What kind of racing are we talking about? XC? That bike isn't that light on the scale I would think that the little bit of weight savings changing from the biger Nev would gain you much. Sure, if you are running a lighter upgraded wheelset then you'd be feeling the differences. You could try a 2.1 Nev or 2.1 NeoMoto up front. I actually have those, and Wolverines too. I've had no tearing/cutting issues on these, or the others I've had in 26 & 29" version. I find it a pretty good tire for upfront out here in NorCal, better then as a rr actually for me anyway. Then again I run Spec Fast Traks up front on my 29r too so it's relative to what ones used to running I guess. As jetboy said the CrossMark is a good tire and unless you're really looking for a big(er) front tire to run (maybe that's the need out East??), they work good for a f/r XC setup. Granted I have no experience on the Eastern terrain conditions.

As far as the a Nev 2.35, I have one up front on my trail bike and don't find it any heavier or rolling different then the 2.1's. I was really surprised when it came and I mounted it up thinking it was another 2.1....

There's also the 2.2 Ardent that seems to be working good for some, as with the Wolverines tho, some are more confident with it as a rr tire only. Probably they would feel the same if they had ran a Wolv up front. Kind of a similar tread pattern.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I've had much better luck with my Wolverines front and rear in both grip and durability compared to Ralphs and Vee Missions. I'm 175 pounds and run the Wolverines tubeless at about 22psi (on my gauge).
    -Carlos

Flux

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    It might just be my line choice but these are the first tires I have had cut problems with.

mtbr member
    I've gotten good service from Wolverines on my Curtlo but my trails are not that rocky so I can't speak to how they'd perform on yours. If you're talking mainly smooth not jagged rocks, I would say the Wolvers are at least worth a try. They're sure fast on hardpack!