mtbr member

how is the "ride feel" on a blur trc 650b?

Hi all,

Sorry to beat a dead horse. I've seen plenty of technical info on the blur trc conversion to 650b, but I can't get a sense of how it'll ride. I've got the 26" version currently and I'm looking to upgrade my wheelset to either a nice 26" or 27.5" set. Dave will be getting my business.

I ride the local Tahoe trails. I'm banging my pedals to pulp with the low BB and I'm hoping the higher BB with the 27.5's will help.

I love how my low-slung rig corners, but I'm constantly banging a pedal/crankarm/chainring on rocks on climbs. I'm getting fairly bummed out about it.

Anyhow... I'm hoping to keep the attributes of the TRc that I love while improving that which I hate (f'ing ground scraping BB height).

My question is... how does it ride? Does it feel all tall/long-legged and gangly? Is there a noticeable improvement in BB clearance? Does it still rail corners?

Any/all comments on the "feel" of the bike post-conversion are much, much appreciated!!

mtbr member

I loved mine. The BB will be around .5" higher and it definitely helped with pedal strikes. I didn't notice any loss of playfulness or corner railing ability. Would still be on it if not for the circle crack issue.

mtbr member
    Thanks Mestapho... what circle crack issue?? Did the carbon crack at the BB?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    hmmm... did SC give you sh!t for having run 650b? Do you think it affected it? How did you eventually resolve it?

mtbr member
    Any other feedback on how the bike feels?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Worker View Post
    hmmm... did SC give you sh!t for having run 650b? Do you think it affected it? How did you eventually resolve it?
    The crack issue had nothing to do with the wheel size. It's a design fault with the rear triangle pivot hardware. The newer bikes are MUCH stouter with co-molded fittings now. The old hardware is just epoxied into place and in my experience (4 frames/ rear triangles) would eventually break loose. I'd keep an eye on that pivot. If it cracks you could warranty into a proper 650b frame. I'd imagine the Solo, Bronson or nomad would be perfect in SLT.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

I really liked 27.5 wheels on my TRc. I didn't think it changed the riding characteristics except no more pedal strikes and it was easier to clear obstacles.
    The issue you will have is you will most likely need to shim your shock for tire clearance and even then you will have a very limited selection of tires to choose from. The only wide tire I found to have decent clearance was the 2.3 neo moto tire.

mtbr member
    Thanks pwu. I plan to put a 3mm nylon washer in the shock... looks pretty easy to do. I heard the nobby nic's are good tires as well?

feedback much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have a converted 2012 Blur XCc, this bike is way better as a 27.5er than a 26er. The bb being only 1/2" really made a difference and the wheels seem to make the bike faster and grippier. I have had no problems using the bigger wheels such as clearence problems.