mtbr member

how little clearance it too little - 96er

hiya

I have built up a 96er using a surly 100mm corrected fork and my old stumjumper frame. The bike handles nice and has no toe overlap but there is not much clearance between the front tyre and the bottom of the fork crown (about 5mm). I know a bunch of people on here have used this fork and I guess are having the same issue. My question is, has anyone had any issues running this combo? Severe mud buildup or a stone getting caught in there and causing a crash?

Thanks

www.derbyrims.com
    My opinion is that for forks 5mm is the minimum I'm OK with. Rocks will be pulled though or bounce away. It's the rare branch or stick or glob of mud that could be a problem. But that's almost the same case with normal clearance too.

I think the bigger issue is if a spoke breaks and the wheel looses true. 5mm side ways clearance is about the minimum you could tolerate getting back to the trail head with a rim going out of true. I'm carrying a good spoke wrench now for that kind of issue.

mtbr member
    thanks for the reply derby. There is actually much more clearance sideways than there is above the top of the tyre. I have tried a couple of tyres in there too but they seem to be a really similat height even though one is a 2.25 and the other a 2.1.

cheers