mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Help me pick my new bike for next spring!

I know that by this spring there could be a bunch of new bikes to make my decision even harder but thought I'd start thinking about and asking some help now. First off I know everyone is going to tell me to get out and demo these bikes but unfortunately for me that isn't an option. I live in Michigan and have looked around hard for demo opportunities and I think the only bike I'll be able to demo is the Giant. To get an idea about me and what I ride here goes. I am 45, 5'6" and weigh 165lbs. I am a good rider but not great by any means. I don't race and when I ride do it for the pure enjoyment of getting out and spinning. I don't measure how fun I am having by beating my last time. So I guess you would say that when it comes to Mtn biking I am not ultra competitive. I have plenty of other stuff in my life that I am type A ultra competitive at and when I ride I do it for pure enjoyment.

The riding in my area is all singletrack and if you are not familiar with Michigan I would say the rides are more flowing and tight. Not too many long extended uphills but the uphills can be taxing and step just not long. All the uphills are on singletracks and not fire roads. A lot of up and down and winding trails. I currently own a Ventana El Padrino 29er HT and a Ventana El Bastardo FS 650B. I prefer the FS bike because at my age my body doesn't rebound from the beating I take on the HT. I actually thinking about taking my 29er HT out to my summer home and making it a road bike. I know not perfect but not really interested in buying a road bike since I already have this 29er that I feel if I add slicks will do just fine for 15-20 mile road rides in the summer for exercise.

So the bikes I am interested in are:

Giant Anthem Advanced 1
    Ibis Ripley
    Ibis HDR-650B
    Pivot 429C
    Yeti SB95 Carbon
    Yeti SB75(if they release it next spring in Carbon)

Any input is welcome.

Thanks,

Chuck

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    That seems to be a pretty wide price range (and weight range).

From what I see, you value full suspension. If you are not ultra competitive, then you probably don't require much suspension travel to absorb high speed mistakes. I think it comes down to whether you specifically notice your bike's weight holding you back or not. My lightest bike is 26 pounds, and I just purchased a Fatbike at 37 pounds and I notice it exhausting me pretty well on the climbs. Once you start getting uber-light frames, you probably won't want to go back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Bikes are already out. There won't be any surprises coming out this Spring. 2014 models are introduced and released right around Interbike(October). What you see out there right now is what you get until next Sept/Oct.
    Bike Doctor

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I will add to my post above. There could be a slight chance that a manufacturer might have a 650b in the works but it's not ready to be released yet. But it would be in prototype form already and most likely be listed on their website as a "soon to be released" model.
    Bike Doctor