mtbr member
    May 2007

help me pick/build a set of SS 650b wheels for my 1x1

I'm looking for a durable, lightweight single speed 650b wheelset, for around $500. I only weigh 125lbs so I won't be putting much strain on these wheels. I'm open to building or having a wheelset built as well.

Currently, I'm looking at the ZTR 355 build kit (http://www.notubes.com/product_info....17f98a22f90189) with the WTB single duty in the rear at $555. It's a little more than I want to spend, but I don't really know of other options.

Also, is it possible to run the Neo-Moto's tubeless?

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Bike shops can order the Stan's rims and build a wheel for you using cheaper hubs. I went with a Surly flip/flop rear and Shimano LX front and it was quite a bit under $500...

mtbr member
    Throw some love or at least consideration Cracked Headtube's way. Maybe a SS wheelset built around the Am Classic 650b rims would fit your budget.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF
    Bike shops can order the Stan's rims and build a wheel for you using cheaper hubs. I went with a Surly flip/flop rear and Shimano LX front and it was quite a bit under $500...
    I'm new to wheel building. With a setup like this, would I need a freewheel? Also what about spokes, whats good?

1 ☼ ♥

yes

With a SS specific hub like the Surly you'll need a freewheel. There are other type of SS hubs that use a cassette cog. You can also use a geared hub as well with spacers and a cassette cog. FWIW I have the 355's with Surly hubs and DT Swiss DB spokes with brass nipples and they're just perfect .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blantonator
    I'm new to wheel building. With a setup like this, would I need a freewheel? Also what about spokes, whats good?
    Oh, you want to build your own? That can be a fun challenge. I built one just to say I did, but I prefer to pay a shop guy that's build hundreds or thousands to build it for me so I don't have to worry about it. It's not a hard thing to do, but it is a precise, fussy operation. I just don't need to build enough wheels to get really good at it.

Butted spokes for sure. DT is my favorite brand, but there are others out there. Re the freewheel, it depends on what you want to do with the bike, and what hub you buy. If you want to be able to coast, get a freewheel-compatible hub, if you want to ride both fixed gear (no coasting--as long as the wheels move, the pedals move) and freewheel, get a fixed/free flip flop hub. The Surly comes either way.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    What kind freewheel would I want with this hub http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Rear+Hub.aspx

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Go to the singlespeed forum and get a White freewheel from Ernesto.

Sounds like you haven't rode SS or built up the 1x1 yet. Spend some time looking up info on the SS forum and you'll find a lot that will help you out.

As for building wheels, I've made my own for over 20 years but suggest that you have a pro build yours. With a $500 wheel budget you have a lot of options.

Quote Originally Posted by blantonator
    What kind freewheel would I want with this hub http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Rear+Hub.aspx

nothing relevant to say

..sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Throw some love or at least consideration Cracked Headtube's way. Maybe a SS wheelset built around the Am Classic 650b rims would fit your budget.
    Sorry our Rims are not available for purchase on their own.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Try universalcycles.com
    Cheap, fast, and tons of hubs to choose from.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 177ark
    Try universalcycles.com
    Cheap, fast, and tons of hubs to choose from.
    Found them yesterday, just got to wait until they get stans back in stock.