mtbr member

Help me decide. Complete 26 bike or build a 650b.

Hello.
    Im trying to decide on these two bikes.
    First: 2011 Jamis Dakota DXC Team Bike from Jenson.
    xc carbon frame sram XX components, carbon bar, carbon seat post and
    american classic wheel set. $2700.00
    Second: Hong Fu FM136 frame, XT components, carbon bar, alloy seat post, Stan's rims laced to Hope pro evo. Around $2650.00
    I live in Massachusetts lots of rocks and roots. I want a hard tail for racing on the root 66 series and Necs.
    I dont have a bike at the moment. I had a 2010 stump jumper I really
    liked the geometry and travel of this bike for the trail I ride.
    I also had a 2012 Yeti SB66 a really cool bike but I is to slack and too much travel for the local trail. I loved it on the down hill sections.
    So what do you guys think? Or should I just save more money and
    build a full suspension 650B with xt and Stans and Hope Pro Evo hubs?
    Maybe a SC Solo or Intense Carbine.
    All the help is really appreciated.
    Thank you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Like folks usually say, you gotta test ride to know for sure. No one can tell you how to spend your money. BUT I was a skeptic on 650b...until I converted my TRc from 26 to 650b. Wow. I was about to sell the frame but after the conversion, now I'm a believer.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    What he said ^^^^. I converted my Blur LT and it's the most fun bike I've been on. I am pretty sure it's damn close to the new Bronson (or Solo) in performance, and I know it's lighter, and it was significantly cheaper to build up.

It sounds like you're set on a 650B specific frame, but take a look at the Santa Cruz Blurs on sale right now. $900 for the frame, which means you can build up a brand new 650B conversion for under $2500 easily.

www.derbyrims.com
    For rocky rough and poor traction conditions, 650b for nimble handling and very good rollover ease, or 29'r for best straight line xc type trail rollover momentum.

For mainly smooth hardpack conditions, slope syle jump stunts, with very few bigger rocks on the trail, 26 inch can be a little bit lighter weight and shorter frame compared to a 650b bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm in a similar boat here right now.
    My wife's been rolling on a 29er HT for a few seasons and just recently rode a 650b Scott Genius for her first FS experience. Now she's begging for something FS so I've got some thinking to do.
    For some reason, I convinced myself that the "best" option is the SC Hecklers they're blowing out for $550 bucks, then build one up as a 650b. Hoping to find a "cheaper" Fox Float 26er fork and then spend most of the budget on a wheelset which seems to be basically impossible to find real deals on.
    I've gone down this road because; a) obviously there are no real deals on 650b frames or complete bikes, b) there are very few real deals on 29er frames or complete bikes, , c) "good" 29er FS frames like the Transition Bandit 29 or the SC Highball are crazy expensive, d) 26er is going to be a terribly long downward jump for someone who just spent 3 seasons rolling fast on 29er hoops, e) my wife is 5'2" tall
    Is the Blur better than the Heckler? Are there any hidden gems in the 29er or 650b world that I haven't uncovered yet?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    What he said ^^^^. I converted my Blur LT and it's the most fun bike I've been on. I am pretty sure it's damn close to the new Bronson (or Solo) in performance, and I know it's lighter, and it was significantly cheaper to build up.

It sounds like you're set on a 650B specific frame, but take a look at the Santa Cruz Blurs on sale right now. $900 for the frame, which means you can build up a brand new 650B conversion for under $2500 easily.

Where are you seeing the Blur frames on sale for $900.00? Very interested.
    http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/

*2014 Knolly Endorphin...Custom Build*
    *2013 Intense Spider 29...Custom Build*

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    jm2e- I personally think the Blur LT is a better bike than the Heckler, but whether that's worth the $400 difference is up to you and your wife. Personally, I think the Blur LT climbs better and is more fun and stable on the downhills, but at the same time the Heckler is a perfectly capable bike in its own right. A 650B Heckler would be a great all-around bike for most situations.

Kevin- check the SC website, on the bottom navigation menu there's a "Sale" page. Click that, and check out what they have in your size.

Here you go, I took the fun out of it for you:

Santa Cruz Bicycles

mtbr member
    I've got 6 months on the Hong Fu FM136. No complaints. Nice riding frame. Good build quality, obviously a great price. I would say go for the FM136. I paired it with a new Fox Terralogic fork. This fork and a hardtail are made for each other.

mtbr member
    Thank you guys for sharing your thoughts.
    I think im going to build a 650b bike.
    I got a quote from Hong Fu for $495 on a FM 136 with head set and 12x142 drop outs
    shipped.