bike rider

Help Me Build a Cheap/Light 27.5 Rigid

My 24" singlespeed dirtjumper/townie never sees jumps anymore and a multispeed with bigger wheels would be a better townie. I haven't done a real trail ride on a hardtail since 1997 but it might be fun to have a really light rigid bike for the occasional change of pace ride. I'd like to build a light, rigid 27.5 1x10 on a reasonable budget. It'll use streetish tires most of the time and I'll swap on XCish tires for trail rides.

I'd like your advice on (remember, semi-budget):
    Frame: I'm thinking no-name Asian carbon and could use suggestions to narrow it down, but I'm open to other options. I like short chainstays, low BB, slackish headtube, and 12x142 (if that's even available?).

Fork: Rigid, light, an axle-to-crown that provides good geometry with the frame, and QR15 if available.

Wheels: Normally I'd build a set from cheapish/lightish hubs and Arch or Flow rims. I work at a NoTubes dealer so I'll check on my price for their prebuilt wheels. I'm curious if there's some cheap/light pre-built set I'm not aware of.

P.S. I work at a shop so Asia-direct frame, fork, wheel deals will be compared to anything I can get from normal distributors.
    Keep the Country country.

bike rider
    For the frame I'm leaning toward a Hong Fu HF-FM196 or HF-FM136 (heavier) but a slacker head angle would be nice.
    I can't find any QR15 650 rigid forks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Not really sure exactly why you'd want a thru-axle on a rigid fork other than ease of removal/installation, don't think you're going to be hammering it hard enough to see an actual benefit. Just my opinion. I have a 26" chinese carbon frame that has worked quite well for two years now, go with the frame you think will fit best.

bike rider
    Yeah, no real need for the 15mm but all my front wheels are gravitating toward 15 & 20mm, 27.5" so compatibility and swapability were the reasons for the thru-axles. I couldn't find a 15mm fork and saved a couple hundred dollars skipping the rear thru-axle (I needed a 20something inch). The NoTubes wheels I got came with the parts to easily change between these axle standards and the bolt-on skewers I'm using will keep it stiff.
    All the parts are on order and I'll post a pic when it's done.

bike rider
    Well here's the follow up, it's all done:
    Here's my FR-502. Cost me $1700. I already had the post, bars, and pedals. 19.3lb with the flat pedals, a little less with SPDs. I'm using it as a townie, for little trail rides with the dog, and it may see the occasional XC race when the course suits it.