Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Heckler 650B Frame build up or buy complete bike?

I have a budget of $2500 and looking to buy a new 650B full suspension bike. The LBS now has the 650B SC Hecklers on the floor, and is giving me a pretty good deal. My Question is: Should I buy a complete bike or build up a frame? The full bikes on hand has the R AM build kit. Some of the parts I am not fond of and will probably change in the future. I believe the cost of the frame is $1200 but can haggle a bit. Also Blue or Black?

Any comments, suggestions, and thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Which fork? Sektor or Fox 34? If the later, I would see if Push is doing their damper kit for it now.

I assume one of the things you are not fond of is the lower level Avids...

The question is whether the $1300 you have for parts is enough to get what you want. I would get the bike, hopefully with enough left to order some SLX brakes and take the Avids off and ebay them, while they are new.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    Which fork? Sektor or Fox 34? If the later, I would see if Push is doing their damper kit for it now.

I assume one of the things you are not fond of is the lower level Avids...

The question is whether the $1300 you have for parts is enough to get what you want. I would get the bike, hopefully with enough left to order some SLX brakes and take the Avids off and ebay them, while they are new.
    Fox 34 and yes the Deores.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Here is the R AM 27.5 build kit
    Drivetrain
    Front Dérailleur Shimano (Deore)
    Rear Dérailleur Shimano (SLX)
    Shifters Shimano (SLX)
    Crankset Shimano (Deore) 24/32/42
    Cassette Shimano HG 81, 11-36 (SLX) 10spd
    Chain Shimano HG 75 10spd
    Brakes
    Brakes Shimano (Deore) w/180mm front 160mm rear rotors
    Steering
    Headset Cane Creek 10
    Bars Raceface RIde low riser 710mm
    Stem Raceface Ride 70mm or 80mm
    Grips Lizard Skin "494"
    Wheelset
    Front Hub SRAM MTH 716
    Rear Hub SRAM MTH 746
    Rims WTB ST i23 TCS
    Spokes DT 14 gauge spokes, brass nipples
    Tires Maxxis High Roller 2 2.3" Tubeless Ready EXO
    Tubes Tubeless (Stans Sealant)
    Seating
    Seat Post Raceface Ride
    Saddle WTB Volt Race

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    If the frames are $1200, you could easily put together a better build kit for $2500'ish. There are TONS of deals out there on new and used parts since bike season for most people is starting to dwindle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    If the frames are $1200, you could easily put together a better build kit for $2500'ish. There are TONS of deals out there on new and used parts since bike season for most people is starting to dwindle.
    Thanks for the feedback.

mtbr member
    $2500 - $1200 = $1300.
    Figure $600+ for fork (assuming you're not going lower than Sektor level)
    $400-500 for nice wheels.

Doesn't leave a lot for drivetrain, brakes, cockpit, etc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I meant $2500 total, obviously... the build kit would probably include some lightly-used parts, but either way it's doable.

mtbr member
    The R AM kit comes with the Fox 34 (d)Evolution fork that can't be upgraded to Push's new damper. There's also a voluntary recall on some of the Evo forks as well. The rest of the kit isn't bad. The new Deore stuff including the brakes is quite good plus you get SLX shifters and rear derailleur. The wheels are heavy, but strong and tubeless ready.

Overall I don't think you could piece together a better build for $1300 unless you've already got spare parts. Start pricing parts now and add up the prices to see if you can do it. If you can then you've got your answer.

And I'd pick the blue.
    Santa Cruz Bronson - Niner EMD9 Rigid

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I say go with the blue - it's awesome - and get a complete. Ride it until stuff breaks then replace it with better stuff. It's pretty rare that you can build for cheaper than their completes. Little things add up unless you have parts kicking around.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    $2500 - $1200 = $1300.
    Figure $600+ for fork (assuming you're not going lower than Sektor level)
    $400-500 for nice wheels.

Doesn't leave a lot for drivetrain, brakes, cockpit, etc.
    You can find a Fox 34 650B for $400 easily (but used), and a good wheelset like the SRAM Rise 40s for $300. That leaves $500-600 for the rest of the parts, which is plenty if you're willing to spend time looking.

However, it really depends on what you want to do... if you want to ride that bike right away, just buy the whole bike and be happy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If your budget is 2500 that means you need to get the dam kit with the Rockshox Sektor fork. My wife has that and it is a good bike for the 2500. The only issue we have had with it and continue to have is the rear brake howls like no other and there is some vibration when the rear brake is being used other wise it is fantastic. and after she got it I considered the heckler but I think I have settled on getting my self the Bronson. I think one thing we are going to do to her bike in the future other than a dropper post is remove the big ring and stick a bash guard on it as she never uses the big ring.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by killjoyken View Post
    The R AM kit comes with the Fox 34 (d)Evolution fork that can't be upgraded to Push's new damper. There's also a voluntary recall on some of the Evo forks as well. The rest of the kit isn't bad. The new Deore stuff including the brakes is quite good plus you get SLX shifters and rear derailleur. The wheels are heavy, but strong and tubeless ready.

Overall I don't think you could piece together a better build for $1300 unless you've already got spare parts. Start pricing parts now and add up the prices to see if you can do it. If you can then you've got your answer.

And I'd pick the blue.
    Hey Thanks for the input. I've been putting a parts list together, but have not yet priced them out. I'm in no hurry to ride the bike, but I not that patient either..LOL

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by slowpok92 View Post
    If your budget is 2500 that means you need to get the dam kit with the Rockshox Sektor fork. My wife has that and it is a good bike for the 2500. The only issue we have had with it and continue to have is the rear brake howls like no other and there is some vibration when the rear brake is being used other wise it is fantastic. and after she got it I considered the heckler but I think I have settled on getting my self the Bronson. I think one thing we are going to do to her bike in the future other than a dropper post is remove the big ring and stick a bash guard on it as she never uses the big ring.
    The LBS is giving me the bike w/R AM kit in my $2500 price range.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I am buying a Kona Process right now but selling the wheelset since I have the parts for a better wheelset. You could always go that route. Sell the stuff you don't want and buy the stuff you do.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlandersk View Post
    I am buying a Kona Process right now but selling the wheelset since I have the parts for a better wheelset. You could always go that route. Sell the stuff you don't want and buy the stuff you do.
    Thanks. Interesting enough, that's the other bike I considered.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for all the feedback! One last thing, Blue or Black?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Go for the blue it is more eye popping

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    You can find a Fox 34 650B for $400 easily (but used), and a good wheelset like the SRAM Rise 40s for $300. That leaves $500-600 for the rest of the parts, which is plenty if you're willing to spend time looking.

However, it really depends on what you want to do... if you want to ride that bike right away, just buy the whole bike and be happy.
    1.) How is that wheelset?

2.) As someone who has just priced that out, yes it could be done but I definitely wouldn't call it easy to do so IMO. The same parts would be pretty easy but when you start upgrading it would start getting tougher. Of course I would rather have a new fork with a warranty on it just based on my experience.

I would go for the blue.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Called the LBS and they are running a sale. The frame is now $1100.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSMBiker View Post
    Called the LBS and they are running a sale. The frame is now $1100.
    Wow, pretty good deal. If you decide to build up a frame, PM me. I've got 2 sets of OEM Bronson WTB wheelsets I'm about to throw up on fleabay.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    If they are giving you a complete bike with the RAM build kit for around $2500, I would do that and upgrade the brakes right away. You can get Deore brakes for around $120 on ebay and could probably sell the Avids for around $80. Your lbs may give you a credit on the Avids and upgrade you for a good deal. In my opinion I like the Sektor fork over the Fox.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Biker View Post
    1.) How is that wheelset?
    Sram Rise 40 only has a 19mm internal rim width. And the cheapest I've seen is around $400 a set. So.....fine for XC.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hey Killjoyken, what do you plan to list your wheelsets for, and where do you live?

Wow, pretty good deal. If you decide to build up a frame, PM me. I've got 2 sets of OEM Bronson WTB wheelsets I'm about to throw up on fleabay.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I just PM you. Yeah it looks like a big sale at my LBS..14 Kona Process 134 for $2200..Wow..hmmmm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast