Thread: Heckler.5

mtbr member

Heckler.5

Finished the conversion tonight. I bought this Heckler back in '03 and rode the piss out of it till '06 when I bought a Harley. My bicycle riding got put on the back burner cause I was having fun going to Sturgis an the Redwoods Run down in Cali.In 2010 got hit by a steel coffin and now a have some nice titainium hardware in my left knee. I still can't and never will be able to straighten my leg fully without help. Jump ahead to the end of 2011 and decided that riding my bike again would begreat rehab. I bought a specialized stumpy in the 29er flavor and love love love the bike and wagon wheels. I wanted to upgrade the parts on the old Heckler and decided that converting to a 27.5 would not be a bad thing. The frame has more than enough clearance in the rear so I sold my bomber and bought a old fox 160mm with 36 stanchions and a high volume float shock for the rear to lighten her up. Took of the old shimano 4 piston stoppers and put a set of new SLX brakes and Ice tech rotors on. Got some sram X9 hubs for a killer deal and some SunRingle rims off e*whore and had the LBS build them up. Found a pair of new 27.5x2.35 Nevegals for $45 bucks, snatched those up and a couple of other used items picked up from the local bike swap. I also decided to try and run a 1X10 setup. Got a 32 single speed ring up front and am running the 11x36 cassette that came on the stumpy. Going to try and take it to the hills this weekend to see how she rides with 27.5's on her.
    Here's some pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Heckler.5-imag1037.jpg  

Heckler.5-imag1041.jpg  

Heckler.5-imag1038.jpg  

Heckler.5-imag1042.jpg  

NedwannaB
    Nice build. Get some....
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Great that you are off the motor bikes and your bike looks nice. Seems the seat tube gets an occasional nip from the tire, does it? I've heard that spacers are available to lessen the travel on the rear shock so that doesn't happen, anyone got any tips for this?
    Too many bikes, and just enough time to ride them.

mtbr member
    The tire never hit the seat tube when I took her out this weekend. I deflated the rear shock to check for clearance and the tire was still a half inch to three quaters from the seat tube. I did notice she climbed a bit better with 27.5's than 26's. On another note the chain never came off even through some wet gnarley root sections. I thought it would drop a couples times with no chain quide on, but the chain never came off and man is it silent. Glad I made the mods I did.

mtbr member
    Outstanding! I am new to a 2003 heckler frame myself and am thinking about the same conversion. Please post about future observations.