Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Not Bad

Has anyone actually gone from being a 29" diehard to 27.5/650b?

The reason I ask is after riding my 29er solely for so long, I can't see myself ever going back to the small wheels BUT I am interested in giving the Intense Tracer 275 a go and will be test riding the snot out of one in the next few weeks.

Just interested to see what the 29ers think, personally I'm going to reserve judgement but I'm not expecting to jump the 29er ship anytime soon, although I am quite open to stand corrected.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    The reason I ask is after riding my 29er solely for so long, I can't see myself ever going back to the small wheels BUT I am interested in giving the Intense Tracer 275 a go and will be test riding the snot out of one in the next few weeks.

Just interested to see what the 29ers think, personally I'm going to reserve judgement but I'm not expecting to jump the 29er ship anytime soon, although I am quite open to stand corrected.

The way I see it...29ers haven't been around in their present form long enough to call anyone "diehard 29ers".
    The enjoyment might be missed if you resign yourself to one type of bike. There's still fun to be had on 26er bikes...I ride whatever to have fun.
    Z
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I ride both. I use the 29er as my XC bike and the 650b as my trail bike. That is where I have the most fun.
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I love my 29er and wanted to switch from the moment I first rode one and that has not changed. However, sometimes I miss the zippity quick handling of my old Racer X; it would be fun to try 650B to see if is the best of both. Hence, lurking around on this forum.

Keep on Rockin...
    29ers have been around long enough. I've been on mine for about 8 years. Probably 10 plus on 26" bike before that. Since going 29 I've not owned a 26 so, I'd say that counts as die hard.

With that said I always felt drivetrains were not 29er friendly. Rear triangles and rear wheels on 29ers have always felt a bit flimsy to me, and just a bit too heavy and long to flip the back end around how I'd like. So, while I was a die hard, I also recognized their limitations. Still, the 29" wheel rolls so much better than a 26 with overall less strain on the rider I couldn't go back. (By roll I mean both "roll over", as in roll over chunk, and lower rolling resistance.)

The 275, on paper, seems like a good compromise with the issues I mentioned about - stiffer, lighter, more drive train friendly than a big hoop, but still retain some of the "roll over" and lower RR, and stability of a 29er.

My Stumpy 29er, my trail/AM bike, seemed like a good bike to experiment with. I was having issues with trying to run a fatter tire out back. It has short stays and with the inherently flimsier big hoop out back I was getting rub. Also, when pushed hard, I felt too much rear wheel flex. A big limiter on AM 29er setups is wheel weight. For AM you need a burly tire and rim, regardless of hoop size. Running big rubber on a thick rim gets heavy on a 29er - no way around it. So, I wanted to try a 275 out back on the Stumpy.

A rear 275 with a Flow Ex was built up on a King rear for the test. Mounting a Nevegal 2.35 made the most sense at the time. Yes, an expensive experiment I know. But, I knew if it did not work out with the Stumpy I could run it on my KM. As a side note, I was having similar clearance issues on the KM and knew I could make use of the 275 on that bike.

With the rear 275 mounted on the Stumpy 29er, and keeping the 29er up font, the bike feels great. Much better than a dedicated 29er for what I'm using it for. In many facets of handling, performance, and feel, this set up is superior for trail/AM riding. If anyone is interested reply and I could go into all that.

A dedicated longer travel 275 is too be my next bike for trail/AM. The Stumpy will return to full 29er mode but get faster, lighter wheels and it will be more of a xc bike. I'm convinced that is where mountain biking is going. AM 275. XC 29er. The in between all purpose "trail-bike" category could go either way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by speedraceratl View Post
    I ride both. I use the 29er as my XC bike and the 650b as my trail bike. That is where I have the most fun.
    idem ditto,

had a sizes: 26er, 29er, 27,5er and a fatbike,
    will "change the garage" now in to:
    27,5 enduro
    27,5 any weather Ti hardtail (read mud&training bike)
    29er race fully
    26er light trail-bike (for the holidays: plane + new carbon bike = no go for me)

why:
    although the capacities of a 29er to roll over fallen trees/rockgardens/..., it
    is to "lame" to play the front wheel around/over obstacles
    and the rear to grippy for the switchbacks
    therefor the smaller wheels on my trail-bikes

Not Bad
    There's certainly some really good thoughts here thanks guys.

My 29er is an XC/trail bike set up nice and aggressively, I'm amazed at how it rolls (over square edges and with less resistance) and the difference in steering speed against my last 26" bike(SC Nickel) is pretty undetectable to be honest but I'm still looking forward to trying out the Intense and seeing what the different wheel size has to offer me.

I like trying these things out for myself, it took me ages to find a 29er I was happy with but when I did I've not looked back since!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    29ers have been around long enough. I've been on mine for about 8 years. Probably 10 plus on 26" bike before that. Since going 29 I've not owned a 26 so, I'd say that counts as die hard.

With that said I always felt drivetrains were not 29er friendly. Rear triangles and rear wheels on 29ers have always felt a bit flimsy to me, and just a bit too heavy and long to flip the back end around how I'd like. So, while I was a die hard, I also recognized their limitations. Still, the 29" wheel rolls so much better than a 26 with overall less strain on the rider I couldn't go back. (By roll I mean both "roll over", as in roll over chunk, and lower rolling resistance.)

The 275, on paper, seems like a good compromise with the issues I mentioned about - stiffer, lighter, more drive train friendly than a big hoop, but still retain some of the "roll over" and lower RR, and stability of a 29er.

My Stumpy 29er, my trail/AM bike, seemed like a good bike to experiment with. I was having issues with trying to run a fatter tire out back. It has short stays and with the inherently flimsier big hoop out back I was getting rub. Also, when pushed hard, I felt too much rear wheel flex. A big limiter on AM 29er setups is wheel weight. For AM you need a burly tire and rim, regardless of hoop size. Running big rubber on a thick rim gets heavy on a 29er - no way around it. So, I wanted to try a 275 out back on the Stumpy.

A rear 275 with a Flow Ex was built up on a King rear for the test. Mounting a Nevegal 2.35 made the most sense at the time. Yes, an expensive experiment I know. But, I knew if it did not work out with the Stumpy I could run it on my KM. As a side note, I was having similar clearance issues on the KM and knew I could make use of the 275 on that bike.

With the rear 275 mounted on the Stumpy 29er, and keeping the 29er up font, the bike feels great. Much better than a dedicated 29er for what I'm using it for. In many facets of handling, performance, and feel, this set up is superior for trail/AM riding. If anyone is interested reply and I could go into all that.

A dedicated longer travel 275 is too be my next bike for trail/AM. The Stumpy will return to full 29er mode but get faster, lighter wheels and it will be more of a xc bike. I'm convinced that is where mountain biking is going. AM 275. XC 29er. The in between all purpose "trail-bike" category could go either way.
    Ask yourself a simple question. Can I live without spandex. If the answer is no, than a 5 inch or greater 27.5 or 26" isn't for you.

mtbr member
    I've been on 29ers for many years, and gave 650B a reasonable try this year. For me, for a hardtail, a 29er offers so many advantages that it's not worth downsizing. Full suspension, on the other hand, may be worth a go. I've never found a 29er FS that I really enjoyed--they just seem to get too long. But even as a 29er lover, I'm enjoying my time on my current Stumpjumper FSR 26er to complement my rigid SS 29er.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    I'm not a diehard, I just ride bikes. My XC bikes have been 29er for the last 7 years, rigid, HT, SS, FS. But I just put together a Burner so I'm looking forward to trying it out, when the weather decides to cooperate.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

Nev
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    But even as a 29er lover, I'm enjoying my time on my current Stumpjumper FSR 26er to complement my rigid SS 29er.
    Really? No probs switching? I went 29er for SS and never looked back. Going back, switching back and forth with my geared 26er didn't work for me.

I'm in the process of rebuilding my 26er now, a custom Carl Strong steel hardtail, into 650b. I'm hoping the difference won't be too much this time and I can have my favorite custom bike back again. I loved that Strong, more than the S-works Epic it replaced.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I only recently converted to 29ers (a Inbred rigid and Trance X0) and love them. I am really excited to try 27.5 though, as guys have mentioned I reckon the 29ers will become the xc standard and 27.5 the trail, AM standard. In my head that makes sense...now I just need to get my hands on one!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nev View Post
    Really? No probs switching? I went 29er for SS and never looked back. Going back, switching back and forth with my geared 26er didn't work for me.

I'm in the process of rebuilding my 26er now, a custom Carl Strong steel hardtail, into 650b. I'm hoping the difference won't be too much this time and I can have my favorite custom bike back again. I loved that Strong, more than the S-works Epic it replaced.
    I've never had any issue switching back and forth between 26 and 29. I'd say the wheel-size is about the least relevant thing to adapt to. Suspension travel/feel and cockpit setup are a much bigger factor for me. But even still, once I'm used to a bike, I'm used to it, and I can go back and forth with zero issues switching back and forth. I could switch mid-ride and not miss a beat.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Im a die hard. I had 4 29ers in 5 years and will never own another. My 650 accelerates WAYYYY better rolls over most stuff nearly as well. Is more nimble,has a shorter wheelbase,wheelies over stuff better has an inch shorter chainstays. It doesnt hold momentum the same but its close....

Biking Like Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    I've never had any issue switching back and forth between 26 and 29. I'd say the wheel-size is about the least relevant thing to adapt to. Suspension travel/feel and cockpit setup are a much bigger factor for me. But even still, once I'm used to a bike, I'm used to it, and I can go back and forth with zero issues switching back and forth. I could switch mid-ride and not miss a beat.
    ^ this! I think it's a good idea ( and fun also) to be able to ride different types of bikes.
    It helps to expand your riding knowledge base and skill sets.
    I'm currently trying a 27.5 on the rear of the Rip9 and liking the slacker HA and quicker acceleration.
    Maybe the best of both worlds.
    Last edited by blcman; 01-14-2013 at 09:58 PM.
    Niner Rip9 RDO
    Niner RIP9
    Niner WFO 650B
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Podium

NedwannaB

Convert

There's certainly some really good thoughts here thanks guys.

26" bike(SC Nickel) is pretty undetectable
    If you liked the Nickle, you can pick up a clearence frame on SC site and build one up 650.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Not Bad

No good

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    If you liked the Nickle, you can pick up a clearence frame on SC site and build one up 650.
    I briefly considered converting mine before I sold it last year.

Not Bad
    And I don't know where the thumbs down came from up there but it wasn't intentional!?!

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smellurfingers View Post
    ask yourself a simple question. Can i live without spandex. If the answer is no, than a 5 inch or greater 27.5 or 26" isn't for you.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358186170.324156.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  18.3 KB
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flupke73 View Post
    (for the holidays: plane + new carbon bike = no go for me)
    I have a great success with this case:
    Evoc USA
    Trip to Europe and around USA with no problems, just don't forget to remove the rotors, they will most likely get punished...

mtbr member
    What he says... 29er for XC and 27.5 for trail/AM

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    if you like your 29ers, then keep them.

For me, I found fault with the way mine handled. When I investigated why, I realized that I could never get one to handle like a 26" bike, and I believe it's centered around the chainstay. I couldn't afford a devinici atlas, and no other FS 29er had chainstays that came close to being acceptable, in my book.

I picked up a rush 650b and I love it. It's snappy and fast, and it doesn't lose a whole lot to the 29er. If I bled cash, I'd want a 17.2" chainstayed hardtail as an addition to my quiver.

NedwannaB

Good job! No worries

And I don't know where the thumbs down came from up there but it wasn't intentional!?!
    Just figured it as a no go gesture.....
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Not Bad
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Just figured it as a no go gesture.....
    No no just a random iPhone key tap I think!

usually cranky
    im not a die hard but i like my fs 29er for the trails i ride. interested in trying a 650b though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast