mtbr member

haro beasley 97.5" maiden voyage disaster

after half a mile of my first ride on a freshly bulit beasley, I heard a loud pop... the results are pictured below. neomoto + crest, 22psi and my 150lb... so, is the tire scrapped? can i use it again for tubeless? if yes, how do i prevent this from happening again?

~ Too weird to live, too rare to die ~

mtbr member
    culprit found. seam split.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    what pressure were you running and how did that bike feel w/ the 29 up front ?

mtbr member
    22 psi. unfortunately, this happened after half a mile, so i have absolutely no idea how the bike rides

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    i think that may have been too low , looks to me like the thing was bottoming on the rim and wore a "band" of the sidewall until it failed .

how much do you weigh ?

i run my neos at 28-33 through some qnarly rocky stuff w/ no probs , i weigh 205+ rtr .

i just tried a beasley w/ 29/650 and was not happy , works good at full 29 though

mtbr member
    150lb... tire was never used. but it was on the shelf at my LBS for more than 2 years,,, maybe rubber hardened due to old age? i'll try to pach it, i' simply cannot go back to tubes

Uncle
    Looks to me like wear from running it too low, or perhaps from the moment it went flat. 22psi is low for a rear tire in my book. I start >30psi, and work my way down.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by evil zlayo View Post
    culprit found. seam split.

That's a rub mark around the split. Can't get that off your rim. Possibly damage after the tire blew off rubbing on seat or chain stay.
    22 psi is not too low. Stans rule off thumb is roughly rider weight divided by 7.

Get a good digital pressure gauge. Mechanical gauges all read at least 7 or 8 psi to high. Pump gauges are very inaccurate.

Uncle
    97.5 Beasley experiementers: Did you run the stock fork or swap it out for something non-suspension corrected (like a Cromoto 26"er fork)? Guessing the latter would provide better geo, but yeah - it's just a guess.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    is that what it's called ?

i was thinkin 659er or b29

there is thread about mine "so i went and bought a rigid today" in this 650 forum

bottom line for me , i used the stock haro fork and thought it was horrible w/ the b29 setup , have thought about trying it again w/ a shorter fork , maybe g2 , but found that 29er fit front AND BACK

cool bike for sure

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by motorbykemike View Post
    is that what it's called ?

i was thinkin 659er or b29

there is thread about mine "so i went and bought a rigid today" in this 650 forum

bottom line for me , i used the stock haro fork and thought it was horrible w/ the b29 setup , have thought about trying it again w/ a shorter fork , maybe g2 , but found that 29er fit front AND BACK

cool bike for sure
    I run a Beasley with 29er wheels. I don't think the rear clearance would fly in heavy mud, but no rubbing with a 29x2.0 tire (or maybe it's a 1.9, I can't remember exactly). I think if I had a wider rim the clearance would improve.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    22 psi is not too low. Stans rule off thumb is roughly rider weight divided by 7.
    Never thought of that calc., but it works for me! When I was a "svelte" 175 lbs and now at a piggy 190 lbs; I was using this formula without even knowing it.

Call it a gut reaction

My only suggestion is that the weight/7 is for front. Add another 2 or 3 psi rear.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.