mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Hans Dampf super gravity or not for occasional DH

Thinking of a 2nd set of rims (maybe Flow rims) and tires for the Carbine for the days when my son wants to go to Highland. So impressed with the Carbine that I think it's time to finally retire my 2001 26" DH bike. Super Gravity might be a bit overkill. How tough are the Hans Dampf 2.35 Pacestar (or trailstar) snakeskin versions? Highland isn't terribly rough and the only other place I've downhilled in the past 3 years is Burke Mtn Vermont which is becoming Highland like.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Trailstar for sure for East Coast rock and knar,do real well on rock,roots and loose terrain and roll pretty well as long as you keep tire pressure around 30-35 psi.Pacestar deflects and rolls on rock and can slide out on loose terrain but do real well on hard pack and wear much longer.as of now Trailstar it is my tire of choice for Pa terrain.

Auburn Bike Works
    I'm running the trail star side wall and am fully impressed, 24psi front and 28 psi rear. I have 7 dents in my rear wheel from the last 2 months with no flats, not even punctures that sealed. 1 dent is 3/8 of and inch. With multiple trips at Downieville and tons of rock strewn trails in Auburn CA, the first set of tires I ran I ditched after averaging a flat a ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I rode the standard 29" Hans Pacestar for the past year, it's not a bad tire, but really not robust enough for heavy use on rocks or for low pressure applications. I tried to run the Hans tubeless and it didn't have enough sidewall to suppport my weight unless I ran high pressure which consequently roughened the ride.

I built up a 650b just so I could run the new Hans Super Gravity Trailstar. What can I say, the Hans SG is everything the regular HD is, plus more durable, stickier, and more supportive. It is clearly a DH tire in it's heart, but with a slightly more supple feel because the casing under the tread is flexier than a typical DH tire, while still having the burl sidewalls and tread of a DH tire.

If you aren't a weight weenie, the extra 200gm of rubber are well worth the improve performance and reliability. My HD SG weighs in at 1041gm, a regular HD is ~850gm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I would probably go with the HD SG for bike park duties. I run a TrailStar SS HD on the front and it's a brilliant tire for just about any condition. Beware of running Schwalbe tires on the rear though, they get torn up quick, they are great as a front tire though.