mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Hans Dampf 27.5 x 2.35 will fit in Fox 32 150mm, safely at bottom out? Please confirm

I've searched, I've read, I've seen threads of converted Trek Remedy's. Often riders have used Fox 36 forks, or 650b specific/compatible forks. I have a 2011 remedy with a 2012 Fox 32x150- DRCV fork. I've seen picks of nevegals, and even have my own 27x2.25 Hans Dampf that fits with a few mm to spare, with all air released from fork and totally collapsed to bottom out. I've seen threads raving about how the 2.25 fits, but can't seem to confirm that a 2.35 fits the fork, SAFELY.

Afte rhaving ridden 26x2.35 HH (huge tire!, love it), I'm disappointed in the volume/size of 27x2.25. So will a 27.5x2.35 clear my fork? Any aggressive riders out there pull off such a large tire in a Fox 32 26er fork?

I ride hard and aggressively and bottom out my fork occasionally, and in those instances I HAVE to have tire clearance.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a 27.5x2.35 HD, but dang that is a lot of money to spend if it doesn't fit SAFELY.

So thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Anyone want to inspire some confidence for me,, here?

mtbr member
    I have a Fox float 32x150 and ran the nobby nick 2.25 with tons of extra clearence, about 1/2 to 5/8 clear on alll sides.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rfxc View Post
    I've searched, I've read, I've seen threads of converted Trek Remedy's. Often riders have used Fox 36 forks, or 650b specific/compatible forks. I have a 2011 remedy with a 2012 Fox 32x150- DRCV fork. I've seen picks of nevegals, and even have my own 27x2.25 Hans Dampf that fits with a few mm to spare, with all air released from fork and totally collapsed to bottom out. I've seen threads raving about how the 2.25 fits, but can't seem to confirm that a 2.35 fits the fork, SAFELY.

Afte rhaving ridden 26x2.35 HH (huge tire!, love it), I'm disappointed in the volume/size of 27x2.25. So will a 27.5x2.35 clear my fork? Any aggressive riders out there pull off such a large tire in a Fox 32 26er fork?

I ride hard and aggressively and bottom out my fork occasionally, and in those instances I HAVE to have tire clearance.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a 27.5x2.35 HD, but dang that is a lot of money to spend if it doesn't fit SAFELY.

So thanks for your help.
    If you bottom your fork don't bother unless you zip tie the top of your staunchions or use some other means of bottom out bumper.

Fit under the arch fine, not the crown. A neo 2.3 will rub the crown and my HD 2.35 is at least 3mm taller.I use 8mm zip ties on the top of my staunchions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Re: Hans Dampf 27.5 x 2.35 will fit in Fox 32 150mm? Please confirm

Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    If you bottom your fork don't bother unless you zip tie the top of your staunchions or use some other means of bottom out bumper.

Fit under the arch fine, not the crown. A neo 2.3 will rub the crown and my HD 2.35 is at least 3mm taller.I use 8mm zip ties on the top of my staunchions.
    Interesting and thanks! 8mm zip tires is an interesting idea, not sure I am willing to go there...

So this begs the question... for technical Rocky fast descending and hard cornering: should I stick with 26x2.35 or will I experience significant confidence and ability with the 27.5x2.25?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider View Post
    I have a Fox float 32x150 and ran the nobby nick 2.25 with tons of extra clearence, about 1/2 to 5/8 clear on alll sides.
    Good info, thank you! I guess the hans dampf is just a massive tire!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rfxc View Post
    Interesting and thanks! 8mm zip tires is an interesting idea, not sure I am willing to go there...

So this begs the question... for technical Rocky fast descending and hard cornering: should I stick with 26x2.35 or will I experience significant confidence and ability with the 27.5x2.25?

I quite often swap between various 27.5 tires, including HD 2.35 , and 26 x 2.35" HD. On my terrain which is not rocky but loose you can't actually notice any rollover advantage with 27.5. If your trail chunder is baby head size then I suspect you will notice rollover more than I do.
    I have no doubt that you will not notice any difference in rollover from a 2.35 Hd over a 2.25 besides the extra cush you get from the extra volume.

As i ride in loose conditions i get a lift in cornering traction and stability from the 2.35 x 27.5 Hd over the 26". That difference almost disappears as I go slacker on the 26" though. I can't push a Float 150 hard in to corners anyway as there's too much flex. One of the reasons why I prefer the 26" Hd as I can run a 35mm fork.

NB Schwalbe tweak the width of their tires with dia. So the 27.5 x 2.35 Hd is narrower than the 26" x 2.35 HD.

I haven't got the 2.25 Hd yet but I can compare the neo 2.3 which will be wider but similar vol to the 2.25 HD.As long as the bike is nice and slack I prefer the 26" Hd to the neo 2.3. The Neo has a hard compound so i suspect the Hd 2.25 will make up for it's narrower width with it's superior compound.So may be very similar in traction to the Neo 2.3 in certain conditions.

For me , I wouldn't spend money on a new fork to chase the new wheel size.I have some 26" forks that do both. If I was at a point of upgrading anyway then I'd be l;ooking at a 650B fork. It makes sense to tweak the size and get that little extra benefit as long as there is no loss in stiffness.
    I
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 04-24-2013 at 02:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    I quite often swap between various 27.5 tires, including HD 2.35 , and 26 x 2.35" HD. On my terrain which is not rocky but loose you can't actually notice any rollover advantage with 27.5. If your trail chunder is baby head size then I suspect you will notice rollover more than I do.
    I have no doubt that you will not notice any difference in rollover from a 2.35 Hd over a 2.25 besides the extra cush you get from the extra volume.

As i ride in loose conditions i get a lift in cornering traction and stability from the 2.35 x 27.5 Hd over the 26". That difference almost disappears as I go slacker on the 26" though. I can't push a Float 150 hard in to corners anyway as there's too much flex. One of the reasons why I prefer the 26" Hd as I can run a 35mm fork.

NB Schwalbe tweak the width of their tires with dia. So the 27.5 x 2.35 Hd is narrower than the 26" x 2.35 HD.

I haven't got the 2.25 Hd yet but I can compare the neo 2.3 which will be wider but similar vol to the 2.25 HD.As long as the bike is nice and slack I prefer the 26" Hd to the neo 2.3. The Neo has a hard compound so i suspect the Hd 2.25 will make up for it's narrower width with it's superior compound.So may be very similar in traction to the Neo 2.3 in certain conditions.

For me , I wouldn't spend money on a new fork to chase the new wheel size.I have some 26" forks that do both. If I was at a point of upgrading anyway then I'd be l;ooking at a 650B fork. It makes sense to tweak the size and get that little extra benefit as long as there is no loss in stiffness.
    I
    My remedy has the Fox 32 150, I'm only 155lbs so stiffness is ok for me.

I can see eventually getting a vengeance or Fox 34 but that's quite a ways into the future I'm afraid.

I think so long as I am running the fork I have, buying new 650b wheels but being forced to run narrower tires isn't worth it. If I am understanding you correctly.

Thanks a ton for sharing your perspective! Very informative.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I should also mention I have works components headset that slacked the remedy out to 66.5 deg head angle.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2