mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Halo Vapour rims?

I'm way ahead of myself right now since I don't even have a frame yet, but I'm thinking about what rims to use to build up a 650b wheelset for my wife. I definitely want it to be a tubeless set up, and I have years of good experience with NoTubes rims. My wife is on the light side (110 pounds) and she's not a very aggressive rider, so at first glance I don't think I need a particularly beefy rim. However, after wrecking a Crest rim myself in 3 rides (might have been a freak thing since the rim got pinched between two rocks in a twisting fall), I'm a little leery of the durability of the Crests. Plus, I'm going to be building this wheelset myself, and I understand that the Crests aren't necessarily the easiest to build.

I'm leaning right now towards either an Arch rim or a Halo Vapour rim. On paper, the Vapour looks nice, since it has eyelets. However, nobody seems to have any in stock. Does anybody know anything about the Halo and when the Vapour rims might be available?

I'm also curious about how 'soft' Halo rims are. I never really thought much about this until I used a DT Swiss rim and it got dented and chewed up within the first couple months of use. While it didn't necessarily go out of true, it seemed far less durable than the Mavic and NoTubes rims that I have used - and the DT Swiss was the EX540 which is supposed to be an All Mountain rim.

Anyway, I'm always up for trying something new, and I'm not in any hurry, but I'm just curious what the word on the street is with the Vapour rims.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Just wanted to drop you a line regarding stock on the Vapour rims (I'm the brand manager for Halo USA). As of right now we have all colors in stock for 650b (black, white, red and blue). You should be able to purchase them through your local bike shop (they should be able to order them from BTI) or if you can't find a shop to order them check out the Halo USA website.

I think the Vapours are an excellent choice if you're looking for a light and stiff rim. As far as durability, I think that they are on par with the Crests or Arches(also excellent rims) and that there aren't too many rims that would have survived the pinch/twist wreck that you described.

As far as hardness... I think that's a bit more subjective and I don't really have a good answer for you there. If you're riding in an area with a lot of rocks, the rims are going to get a bit beat up, but that just gives them more character (in my opinion)!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks for getting back to me. I had set up an e-mail notification with universal cycles, and literally the same day that I ordered NoTubes Arch rims, I got an e-mail that the Vapours were in stock. I'm a little disappointed - the Vapour rims look really nice - but I will keep them in mind when I decide to make a backup set of wheels for myself.

And I agree that likely no rim would have survived what happened to my one rim. It was just painful that it happened when the wheel was so new. That said, the Crest on my rear wheel is definitely dead after two seasons of riding. It's the first rim that I've had that just won't stay true anymore.

The Vapour rims look fantastic - I'm hoping they are equivalent to the Arch rims. I'm looking forward to trying them in the future!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Is there any way I could get the white 650b's? Love the wheels plus I just bought an On One Whippet. It would be cool to totally Brit out my ride.