mtbr member
    Mar 2007

GT Zaskar Team FULL 650b

I have had my 2001 GT Zaskar Team built 1 x 9 and 650b for a few weeks now. I wanted to get some rides on it before I posted anything. This bike is absolutely the fastest, most forgiving ride in my stable. I also own a Stumpy 29er full custom, XTR, King hubs, etc. and a Giant Anthem Advanced with the DT Swiss fork, shock, and 1250 carbon wheels.

The GT is quicker than than the 29er, more forgiving than the Anthem, and is faster than pretty much any other bike I have tested or owned. I have had S-Works Epics, Stumpy carbons, and 29ers, and a bunch of other bikes in my long riding history.

The rear tire is snug with the quasi-moto but I don't get any scrub or mud build up, so I would say over all it is a perfect fit. The Fox F80X is a perfect fit for the Neo-moto and the terra-logic damping is ideal for a hardtail. I love the Misfit Fu2-bar as it just puts you in a mind to relax and really enjoy your ride. You simply can't take yourself to serious in that casual laid back position, that is not to say however, that you can't haul the proverbial butt!!!

I went 1 x 9 to keep things a bit more simple and elegant and I feel like i have enough top and bottom end. I am running a 36 tooth front so when matched with an 11-32 there is plenty of gearing for all but the fastest downhill fire road.

The last modification I need to make is to try and convert the velocity rims to tubeless. I know several people have complained about tubeless conversions on the Velocity rims, but we have done a few conversions on cyclo-cross setups at my shop, so I am not that concerned about the 650b. The next step may be some Stan's or American Classic rims if the Velocity rims prove difficult.
    Attached Images Attached Images

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Very nice. I wonder if anyone has tried 650b one of the newer Zaskars, particularly the carbon ones. I work occassonally in a shop that sels GT, but we don;t exactly have 650b wheels on hand to test out...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

re

Very nice, especially the FU Bars with the bent goodridge hydro lines look great! Do you think the N-Gear works better than the Third Eye style?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

That Bike is Bad Azz!

I only have one problem. I cannot ride those bars. I tried a friends bike, and felt like I was on a beach cruiser. I would throw a Salsa Moto 11 degree flat bar and be all set. The other thing is the Stan's rims are super nice. They are lighter than the Velocity's and like you already know, seem to be more Tubeless friendly. Note: I am only going off of what I have read on here. But as a Stan's owner, I can testify that my Neo has not burped and I am only running yellow tape, not even a rubber strip.

Nice work.