mtbr member
    Feb 2011

GT Outpost Trail mid to late 90's Will it work?

I have my wifes old GT Outpost Trail that has just been sitting in the garage for the last 10 years

. Hardly ever ridden. Does any one know if this could be converted to a 650b or is the rear triangle to tight? Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by kitts21j; 01-10-2013 at 12:41 PM.
    Just remember,Where ever you go there you are...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Okay so I didn't get alot of feed back...or any feed back in my OP. So I took some pics of the rear tire and the chain stays.

What do ya think can I stuff a 27.5 tire in there?

Hopefully this generates some useful help.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It doesn't look like there's enough clearance to me, but it doesn't matter anyway because the brakes won't work on larger rims. 650B conversions are usually done to bikes with disc brakes where the larger wheel size does not affect brake caliper placement.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    It doesn't look like there's enough clearance to me, but it doesn't matter anyway because the brakes won't work on larger rims. 650B conversions are usually done to bikes with disc brakes where the larger wheel size does not affect brake caliper placement.
    I didn't even think about that. Well then it will have to stay as my 26" rocket. Thanks. It would have sucked to get parts only to find I over looked the brakes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I have a friend who just put 650B slicks on an old Bridgestone MB-3 and was able to use the same Vbrakes that worked with 26" wheels on the 650Bs. If memory serves they were fairly cheap Tektro v-brakes to, nothing special. This may not work any every frame, but it turns an old unused MTB into an awesome city bike.

underachiever
    The front fork also won't accept a 650B fitment. Axle-to-crown is way too short. It would need to be suspension adjusted.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    What kind of measurment am I looking for? Thanks for all the help.

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by kitts21j View Post
    What kind of measurment am I looking for? Thanks for all the help.
    At least 415mm a2c or so.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdangerpants View Post
    At least 415mm a2c or so.
    Thanks, maybe I will start combing through local C-list and ebay for a new fork. On a side note I just checked out your blog page. You have some very nice rides. The firefly w/ the drop bars looks like alot of fun.

Again thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I know for a fact that a Dimension disc fork (410 AC) fits a 29x2.25 with a bit of room to spare, should definitely have plenty of room for a 27.5 in whatever size you want. The Dimension forks come from QBP and should be available at your LBS, they are often kept around as replacement forks and I know we always have a few kicking around our shop.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Don't forget that this particular Outpost Trail (looks like a 1996 +/-) likely has a 1" steerer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    Don't forget that this particular Outpost Trail (looks like a 1996 +/-) likely has a 1" steerer.
    I think it is a 95' and yes it does have a 1" steerer. I might just turn this into a 26 SS and not go thru all the other trouble and expense. Time shall tell though. Thanks for the help.