Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Got my Giant Anthem Advance 27.5-1, my review...

Bike came in This last Friday, thanks to an awesome dealer who pulled some strings Giant was able to find one and send it to us. I went with the 27.5-1 model, it is flat black and has the full XT setup on it. Comes with the PCRX1 wheels (1675) and racing ralph tires.

I am coming off of a 2012 Specialized Epic Comp that was setup with SRAM X9/Stans Arch EX/Shimano XT brakes (28.1lbs trail ready).

Set the bike up Friday night, out of the box (size medium) setup tubeless with no pedals bike weighed in at 24.2lbs. Once i got the bike home and put on my 3T carbon bars, Giant carbon seat post, Garmin, can of big air and XTR pedals bike weighed in at 25.6lbs. Plans are to order the Giant carbon stem and then after the new year and once Stans Carbon wheels hit the shelves to put a set of those wheels on the bike and should be at 24lbs fully trail ready.

Rode the bike Saturday morning (right before the Giant Demo truck came to the local trail, seems I was the first person in the state that has this bike, even the Giant demo riders had not seen one yet) and put in a nice 16 miles on it.

Right off of the bat the difference in pedaling was noticeable, bike was easier to get rolling, to maintain speed and easier to climb in. Suspension works better than the Brian system on the Epic, climbs were alot easier and I could actually stand up and pedal up hills without losing traction. I kept the fork and shock in trail mode.

Handling was quicker for sure, easier to pick the lines and easier to change the lines if need be over the 29'er bike. On Sunday went to another trail that I am racing this weekend and put another 25 miles on the bike. Dialed in the front fork some more as per recommendations at point of setup the shop put too much air in the fork. I weight in at 205 ready to ride, put 100psi in the fork on the trail yesterday and it was perfect. Rear shock is at 100psi as well. Need to play with the rebound some and slow it down a bit.

So far I am pretty impressed with the bike and will be happy riding it for the next coulple of months until the wheels come in. Plan on putting some miles on it over the next 3 months and hopefully better myself over the winter months to be ready for the next race season.

It's about showing up.
    Very cool. Congrats!
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the review. This is one of the bikes I'm considering.

mtbr member
    Any pics?

What fork/shock comes on the advanced? 100psi in the shock for 200lb rider seems a little on the low side?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    It comes with the Fox 32 CTD Float fork on it.

I will know for sure on the rear shock over the coming weeks. Now that I think about it the rear should be rider weight, I had so many suggested specs from riding around with the Giant demo crew this weekend and they were quoting specs from the prev bikes. Plus it seems the suggested setting are going to vary if you have Rockshox versus the Fox shock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Awesome!

and

"Suspension works better than the Brian system on the Epic"
    hehe

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yeah, got to love spelling correction programs...lol

Looks like from Fox's website, for me coming in at 200lbs I need to start at 90psi in the front and 200psi in the front.

So far from my research this morning not much I can upgrade on the bike that isn't already pretty close to being as light as it can be, as of now upgrading the stem to carbon is not even really worth it even with my team pricing as I will only lose 15g (while spending $115 for the Giant Contact SLR stem).

Have to wait on the Stan's wheels for now. Anyone have any other carbon wheels recommendations they can suggest that can handle a 200lb rider and hold up? Maybe some Enve rims with DT Swiss 180 or 240 hubs?

Small Lunged, Big Bellied
    Nov 2010
    Congrats on the bike. I have this bike as well but in a Large and just got it set up this weekend.

I'm coming from a XTC 29er hard tail so this bike seems magically fast.
    Totally agree that there's not a lot to replace to lighten this bike up much except the wheels and even they aren't anchors. I'd love to know what a 0 weighs in at.

I plan on getting the carbon bars and seatpost as well and I'm running Time Aliums.

I've also been researching wheels and will be interested to hear what you get.

O2D

Got my Giant Anthem Advance 27.5-1, my review...-photo.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The shop mgr has the 27.5-0 in a medium, his came in at 22lbs out of the box. The stock Giant PCXR-0 carbon wheels are 1395g I believe, the Stan's carbon wheels are slated to come in around 1220g for the 27.5. Going from the stock PCXR-1 wheels 1675g to the Stan's will be almost a 1lb drop in weight.

I can get team pricing on the Giant wheels, but that price is really close to what my price will be on the Stan's wheels once they hit the market so I am going to wait for now. I am even toying with building the new Stan's carbon rim with some DT Swiss 240 or 180 hubs possibly.

mtbr member
    I test rode the Advanced 0 last Saturday. It was like getting cheat codes to mountain biking. I'm planning on putting in an order for an Advanced 1 next week.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hopefully you can get one, most of the production has been slated for dealers pre-orders. Regular shipments are not slated to come in until week 52 of this year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
    Hopefully you can get one, most of the production has been slated for dealers pre-orders. Regular shipments are not slated to come in until week 52 of this year.
    I didn't know that. Eh, if I have to wait, I'll wait. Though I think I'll stop by the shop to find out, this weekend. Fingers are crossed.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I would move away from the Giant brand parts if you want to save some serious weight. There are some very light parts out there if you look in the right places.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Not many parts left to replace that weight can be saved on, I already have 3T carbon bars and the Giant contact SLR seatpost (research showed not many options on the seatpost due to the size Giant uses and their weight is right in line with aftermarket).

Wheels on the 27.5-1 bike are about the only real area to save some weight, maybe the fork but seeing as the Fox does what I need it to do I don't have any plans on dropping $500+ just to get a lighter fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I would move away from the Giant brand parts if you want to save some serious weight. There are some very light parts out there if you look in the right places.
    Partly true, you should avoid the sports and connect parts. The connect sl are pretty good. The contact aluminium parts are competitive with aftermarket and often lighter and stiffer. The contact slr parts are in line with the aftermarket, light, stiff and nice.

Most people just think housebranded parts are crap, but just compare them with the aftermarket and you will.discover they are equal or even better.

Registered Dietitian
    Quote Originally Posted by OxygenDeficit View Post
    Congrats on the bike. I have this bike as well but in a Large and just got it set up this weekend.

I'm coming from a XTC 29er hard tail so this bike seems magically fast.
    Totally agree that there's not a lot to replace to lighten this bike up much except the wheels and even they aren't anchors. I'd love to know what a 0 weighs in at.

I plan on getting the carbon bars and seatpost as well and I'm running Time Aliums.

I've also been researching wheels and will be interested to hear what you get.

O2D

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	2376 
Size:	276.7 KB 
ID:	842850
    I got to straddle that bike a few days ago (Tommy, Rob's friend). Very nice bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Commander View Post
    I didn't know that. Eh, if I have to wait, I'll wait. Though I think I'll stop by the shop to find out, this weekend. Fingers are crossed.
    I was pleased to find the shop had one in stock, though it's a large. I put in an order for an XL and he said it'll ship either today or Monday. Hooray I'm now almost 5 Gs poorer!
    Last edited by Love Commander; 11-01-2013 at 04:50 PM.

It's about showing up.
    I need a large. Local shops have a small and a medium.
    I don't rattle.

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    You can drop .34 lbs. from your pedals. XT Trail pedals weigh in around 410 grams. You could do some Ritchey Pro Paradigm pedals at 255 grams. Drop another pound by going 1x10. 1X10 upgrade costs under $200 if you do a WolfTooth front ring and an Action Tec 39t rear cog (even less with a Mirfe 42t cog). The wife's medium Tallboy C, with XT components, weighs 24.2 lbs. right now including pedals (M540) and computer. I'm going to pick up a couple sets of Ritchey pedals to drop her into the 23.8 lbs. range. If I go with EC90XC wheels my XL Tallboy will be 23.3lbs. With something a little heavier (Havens or Carbon Control) it'll be 23.7lbs. complete. 1X10 is neato.

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    XTR trail pedals are 398 grams or 1/3 of a pound dropped with 255 gram pedals.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I am prob going to warranty out the XTR pedals for the XT, the XTR's are creaking so bad it isn't even funny and they are brand new.

mtbr member
    Picked up my Advanced 1 on Saturday and got fitted. Straight out of the box, without pedals, it weighed exactly 25 lbs (size XL). I finally got a chance to take it out yesterday for about 2.5 hours. My impressions pretty much line up with TJay's. Cornering is so much easier/more confident than on my HT 29er. The only down side is slightly increased pedal strike, so I have to be a bit more mindful going through rock gardens or around off-camber turns. Wasn't a big deal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hi all, I just ordered an Anthem Advanced 1 last week. Apparently the lead time is week 7 of next year so I've got some serious waiting to do! For any of you lucky guys who already have an Advanced 1, does the bike come with carbon bars as standard? The brochure says they are, 'Giant Contact SLR TR' which I'm guessing is the carbon range. The seatpost and stem are alloy for sure so I'm thinking that while I wait I'll sort out some nice carbon alternatives.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Got my Giant Anthem Advance 27.5-1, my review...

Quote Originally Posted by xc-matt View Post
    Hi all, I just ordered an Anthem Advanced 1 last week. Apparently the lead time is week 7 of next year so I've got some serious waiting to do! For any of you lucky guys who already have an Advanced 1, does the bike come with carbon bars as standard? The brochure says they are, 'Giant Contact SLR TR' which I'm guessing is the carbon range. The seatpost and stem are alloy for sure so I'm thinking that while I wait I'll sort out some nice carbon alternatives.
    The Anthem 1 comes with alloy handlebars "Contact Trail". I replaced them with ENVE risers.

EDIT: different specs in different regions. In the US it comes with the contact trail. If yours has the SLR then it's carbon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Commander View Post
    The only down side is slightly increased pedal strike, so I have to be a bit more mindful going through rock gardens or around off-camber turns. Wasn't a big deal.
    Can someone please confirm if the BB is lower - apart from brake jack there's nothing i hate most than pedal strike/chainring strikes - it destroys ones confidence in the ride. I don't mind riding higher - just don't like these pedal/chainring strikes.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast