Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Go home Schwalbe, you're drunk.

I know it's minor and nit-picky but this is mildy annoying. Why couldn't Schwalbe just keep their naming 650b/27.5 straight instead of changing between the two? I know, I know, first world problems. Nic was purchased Dec '12 and the Hans was purchased June '13.

Go Bruins!
    27.5 is becoming the norm for 650B because the latter is considered too confusing for many people coming into the sport. A lot of manufacturers are going in this direction.
    Get out and ride even when you don't want to because ten minutes into the ride you'll be glad you did.

mtbr member
    Pretty far down the list of things I care about, just above worrying whether my socks match my hubs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    First world problem indeed.
    By the way - isn't "650b" more related to skinny touring bike tires with outside diameter of 650-660mm and 584mm ISO diameter? There's nothing "650" in fat, off-road 584mm ISO tires so calling them 27,5" makes much more sense IMO.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Well Schwalbe responded to me on Instagram and simply put, they made the change so the customer base would better understand this new tire size. I assume all new production tires going forward will be 27.5.

Dissolved member
    They should have called them "275-Bad" since that is about the mileage the side knobs begin to fall off.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The side knobs on my rear Nic are starting to tear and also starting to feel a bit squirrely under hard cornering. This is a bit disappointing considering I only have about 300 miles on the tire.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DYI01 View Post
    The side knobs on my rear Nic are starting to tear and also starting to feel a bit squirrely under hard cornering. This is a bit disappointing considering I only have about 300 miles on the tire.
    Yea,I'm with ya,nobby nicks and Hans dampf,have a very short life span! switched to Maxxis Highroller II's 2.4 and 2.3's superior in all categories!

mtbr member
    I've been intrigued by Schwalbes with all the positive reviews, but after looking at the prices and being told by my trusted LBS that they're "5 Ride Tires", I decided to move along. I guess guys who ride nothing but loam once a week on the weekend might have lots to love, but they sound no bueno to a 6-day a week rock crawler.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The problem I have with moving away from the Nic is I haven't found another tire that rolls as good but also has the traction of this tire before the knobs start tearing. Schwalbe tires seem to hold up pretty well for me and a few friends as front tires but they get tore up as back tires. The Hans on the front is awesome the grip is amazing and rolls decently enough. The Ardent has a horrible dead spot mid lean, the High Rollers roll slow, the Nevegal rolls ungodly slow, I would like to try a NeoMoto though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DYI01 View Post
    The problem I have with moving away from the Nic is I haven't found another tire that rolls as good but also has the traction of this tire before the knobs start tearing. Schwalbe tires seem to hold up pretty well for me and a few friends as front tires but they get tore up as back tires. The Hans on the front is awesome the grip is amazing and rolls decently enough. The Ardent has a horrible dead spot mid lean, the High Rollers roll slow, the Nevegal rolls ungodly slow, I would like to try a NeoMoto though.
    I've got...about 5 rides on my rear Hans Dampf Pacestar TLR snakeskin, and Saturday, in Otero Canyon in NM coming down mixed loam/sand/limestone, I kept stopping thinking my rear was going flat because it was squirming all over, but it wasn't flat at all. After the ride, I took a close look at the tire, and...side knobs are starting to tear right at the base. They look like they're being undercut. Center knobs look fine - brand new even.

The HD hooks up great on everything, but if I'm going to pay $65 ON SALE for a tire, I want the damn things to last a year, not 20 hours of riding. I much prefer Nevegals because they're way cheaper, and I don't seem to notice any difference in rolling resistance or traction while climbing, because I'm just a weekend warrior. I have a non-SCT/non-tubeless Nevegal on the front, with sealant, and it's working just fine, though I will wait for the SCT rear to come out because I have destroyed one on the rocks out here in NM due to the thin casing. Hopefully the HD will get me through the next month or so till something better comes along....

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Try that HD out as a front tire, it's brilliant on the front. I have about 100 miles on my front and it still looks new. Prior to the HD I ran a Nevegal as well and the HD blows it out of the water IMO.

just some guy
    Anyone try those Ritchey Shield 27.5 tires?

bump and grind
    Quote Originally Posted by talabardio View Post
    Anyone try those Ritchey Shield 27.5 tires?
    Pretty good hookup, light and fast rolling, but its a purely Xc dry tire for me. Practically a semi slick feel with all those tiny knobs so close together. Kinda like the conti race kings.
    Turner Burner 650b, Knolly Endorphin, Turner RFX, Voodoo D-jab 650B
    ...so far...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    The HD is great as a front but using it as a rear on anything where you might climb stone / hard pack is just a bad idea. Also if you have hard pack braking bumps, bye bye tire. In my experience both Schwalbe and Conti tires, when used as rears, get f'd up super fast. One run down a local trail (the Luge in OC/SoCal) nearly destroys a hard compound RaRa. -_-

Between Conti and Schwalbe I've had worse experience w/ conti (black chili compound x-kings). I've had really good luck w/ Maxis ikons EXOs (go figure) as a rear.

Won't trust front tire duties to anything but HD's going forward. While a HR2 sounds nice, isn't that another 200grams over the HD? No thanks, HD is good enough.

mtbr member
    Schwalbe are like the Michelin Sport Cups of car tires - great performance, expensive, with low life expectations.

I love them so they are all that I buy. Nics up front with RaRa on the back. The perfect combo for me.

On a side note, I did buy a Vredestein Black Panther Extreme recently and the tire felt pretty good. A bit heavy though.
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b Belt Drive

Just a flesh wound
    , I would like to try a NeoMoto though.

You should. Awesome tire. Great grip, tough and they handle well. I run 2.3 front and back at 25 and 28 psi, tubeless. Can't recommend them enough.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

OMZ
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by probiscus View Post
    Won't trust front tire duties to anything but HD's going forward. While a HR2 sounds nice, isn't that another 200grams over the HD? No thanks, HD is good enough.
    More like 50-80 grams if you're comparing the 27.5 HD Snakeskin TLR in the 2.35 width to the 27.5 High Roller II EXO TR in the 2.3 width.

Regardless of weight, I find the HR II, with it's ramped center knobs and slightly harder durometer rubber to be a noticeably faster roller than the HD. Stronger cornerer too (although I know that's kinda a personal thing.)

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    I've been intrigued by Schwalbes with all the positive reviews, but after looking at the prices and being told by my trusted LBS that they're "5 Ride Tires", I decided to move along.
    a) Buy online from Germany for half price delivered b) Do not listen to idiots in LBS.

Win-win.

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    a) Buy online from Germany for half price delivered b) Do not listen to idiots in LBS.

Win-win.
    Problem is, they do wear out very quickly. I have around 300 miles (maybe less) on a HD 2.25 Trailstar SS and while the center knobs look fine, all the side knobs are "undercut" as if you took a box cutter and tried to slice them off at the base. $55/pair delivered from Deutschland is better than local US prices but still a little too much for such a short life IMO.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hans Dampf's are not a great roller but HR II 2.3's roll better,last much longer and give nothing up to the HD in function.I also have the HR II 2.4 Maxx Terra and have used these on several Enduro and Super D events,what they lack in roll,and truthfully not that bad, they more then make up for in decent and knar!

jrm
    mtbr member
    Thats 650 "A" which was the original french standard.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post

Win-win.
    Germany Shmermany

My LBS kicks ass. They ride, they're smart, the owner's in the MTB Hall of Fame, they help get trails built and support the local cycling culture better than any other entity around. The idiot is the one that ignores their advice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OMZ View Post
    More like 50-80 grams if you're comparing the 27.5 HD Snakeskin TLR in the 2.35 width to the 27.5 High Roller II EXO TR in the 2.3 width.

Regardless of weight, I find the HR II, with it's ramped center knobs and slightly harder durometer rubber to be a noticeably faster roller than the HD. Stronger cornerer too (although I know that's kinda a personal thing.)
    Interesting.

In 29er config:
    HD = 850-875
    HR2 = 941

Regardless I'm looking forward to the new rock razor's for rears. Looks like an Ikon middle tread (small flatish knobs) with larger side knobs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OMZ View Post

It is around 200 grams difference on the tires I have. The HD Snakeskin 2.35 is around 730 grams and the 2.3 HR2 EXO TLR was over 900.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast