Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!

Giant's released their 2014 650B hardtails...

onto their websites. Bikerumour's already got a report up.

Giant Quietly Releases 2014 Men?s and Women?s 650b Models
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Prices for 650b hardtails starting at $570!? So, do you think this is enough proof for the non believers to actually realize 650b isn't going away, it's here to stay? And it's the end of days for the slightly smaller wheel size.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    Prices for 650b hardtails starting at $570!? So, do you think this is enough proof for the non believers to actually realize 650b isn't going away, it's here to stay? And it's the end of days for the slightly smaller wheel size.
    Your comment made sense until the last sentence.
    They're here to stay, so are 29ers, SS, hardtails,etc...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by saidrick View Post
    Your comment made sense until the last sentence.
    They're here to stay, so are 29ers, SS, hardtails,etc...
    absolutely.
    i have more than you.
    ...because i have me and you.

zarr

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    If Giant comes out and tells you that they don't beileve there is room for three tires sizes, you should listen.

Wrench
    I was hoping for their XTC Composite frame in 650b... I'd be all over that in a heartbeat.

jps
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAL View Post
    I was hoping for their XTC Composite frame in 650b... I'd be all over that in a heartbeat.
    You may be in luck, I spotted a photo of a racer at the latest World Cup on a Giant carbon hardtail, had 650b Racing Ralphs...I believe it was Emil Lindegren???? He ended up doing pretty well to boot.....not that wheel size matters as much as the engine, but I am stoked to see that Giant is embracing the 650b, and I ride an Anthem X 29er. I would be really interested in trying out a 650b Anthem since I feel my AX29er feels too big in certain situations.

Wrench
    Giant's been putting all of their female racers on either 650b or 29. I know Marianne Voss is on a 650b, as are a few others that race for Giant.

But I wont see it until 2015, most likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by jps View Post
    You may be in luck, I spotted a photo of a racer at the latest World Cup on a Giant carbon hardtail, had 650b Racing Ralphs...I believe it was Emil Lindegren???? He ended up doing pretty well to boot.....not that wheel size matters as much as the engine, but I am stoked to see that Giant is embracing the 650b, and I ride an Anthem X 29er. I would be really interested in trying out a 650b Anthem since I feel my AX29er feels too big in certain situations.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Just waiting for them to offer up the Anthem X Carbon in a 650B and I will pull the trigger.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Anyone know when these bikes will be in local bike shops?

My Brain Hurts!
    *full squish?*

Sorry, I sneezed...
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

Wrench
    There are plenty of full suspension 650b frames out there, and more on the way. I need a hardtail to go with my SC Blur. I like Giant hardtail frames, and can't wait to see where they go with their XTC frames.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfGumby View Post
    *full squish?*

Sorry, I sneezed...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    I've predicted for a long time that 26ers are going away...for the most part at least. We may see DH bikes hold out for a long time, but 27.5 may be an eventuality there as well. 27.5s will fit those real small people and they will negate 26ers to department stores. 27.5 isn't a fad, but it also isn't 29. 29ers aren't going anywhere, they are way too established at this point, but the market will be too big for all three and there will be no point to 26.

I think when we break it down by exact market, we'll see things like:

-XC race bikes, 60-80% 29ers, others 27.5

-More relaxed XC FS and HT bikes, probably at least 50% 29ers, others 27.5

-Trail bikes up to about 5", 50-60% 29ers, others 27.5

-Aggressive all-mtn (5-6" and slacker) Maybe only 30-40% 29er, others 27.5

-Freeride, probably only 10% 29ers if that (Lenz, WFO, even though the niner is short on travel)

-DH...well, unlikely to ever get past the prototype stage for DH bikes, I don't know if the PBJ would really fit into this category or the one above due to the wacky geometry not being anything close to a modern DH bike, not to mention the modern DH bikes are pretty darn light these days, but whatever, less than 1% IMO would ever be a 29er here. There will likely be some fun park/slope-style 27.5s soon.

-Fatbikes are "technical" 26ers, but the wheels and rims aren't really the same as a 26er and the geometry on these is actually about the same for 29ers. If you slap a set of 29er rims in there with the wide fatbike hubs, you can run normal mountain 29er tires with decent geometry, so these aren't really 26ers IMO.

-Dirt jump/Dual slalom type rides? Such a small part of the market, these have a shot at retaining 26, like DH bikes, but make up such a fraction of the market you are unlikely to ever see one in a store anyway.

I just don't really see 26 fitting in the future at all. There's a fraction of a weight penalty, but 27.5 "fits" a lot of different riding situations and genera, whereas 26 doesn't really span across the spectrum as well anymore with 29ers being so embedded now. 27.5 has the ability to do this and fill in gaps. It's the new 26 IMO.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tekoa53 View Post
    Anyone know when these bikes will be in local bike shops?
    I rode a Large Talon 75.5 yesterday. Just for comparison sake, I also rode the 29er. Now look, I'll qualify all of this - it's just my opinion - but I'm a pretty big guy, and I started riding mountain bikes when you really sort of only got one frame size, and it was too big for me. Maybe I sort of got used to that, but for whatever reason, the first time I ever rode a 29er I fell in love. There's just more wheel out there in front of you. It just feels better. I don't particularly have any harder time getting the bike to do anything because it has bigger wheels. So on to what I thought.

Yep, it's lighter than the 29er. Riding down the alley behind the shop (it's pretty rough, and slopes down about a 7% grade) I felt like the two bikes performed in a fairly similar manner. Based on that alone, I wouldn't bother trying to pick between the bikes - I'd look back to weight and say, yes, 27.5 please. Unfortunately, *mentally* I still felt better on the 29er. The 27.5 felt like someone had chopped part of the front end off. I felt like I personally would think twice before riding it into some of the stuff I'd ride the 29er into JUST because of the amount of wheel up front.

So, I think if you're a smaller person, or if you never got used to wagon wheels, the 27.5 is going to be a great thing for you. Heck, I'm even still eager to see the Reign come with 27.5 wheels - I'd just flat have one of those. But for my xc bikes, I think I'll stick to 29s, thanks.

Carnivore
    A friend who just raced the Big Mountain Enduro said Kelli Emmett won the women's pro on a 650b Giant FS bike. Word is that Giant is rolling out 650b across the board.

mtbr member
    Word is this: Giant will be rolling out everything but the Glory in 27.5, and all current 29ers except the Revel will go away. That's the word. Now, whether or not you trust that is up to you. Here's what I know:

I know they've been cleaning house with 27.5 Anthem, XTC, and Trance prototypes. I suspect there's a Reign prototype out there too.
    I know a marketing/product manager said 3 tire sizes weren't sustainable for them (or local bike shops).
    I know the Glory is still being run as 26" only. Although, it seems it may be to for a refresh. Still...

If you put all that together, to me it means if you want a 29er from Giant you better get a 2013, because there aren't going to be any 2014's. Now, they may correct back the other direction some and give us some 29er XC stuff back in 2015, but man, I don't know. When you look at the propaganda they're passing out with those new 27.5 bikes, it makes you wonder.

Carnivore
    I think the 26ers are going away (already happening) not the 29ers. No way they are going to dump 29ers. FWIW if any company can sustain 3 wheel sizes it is Giant.

Space Ghost
    Quote Originally Posted by gila monster View Post
    I think the 26ers are going away (already happening) not the 29ers. No way they are going to dump 29ers. FWIW if any company can sustain 3 wheel sizes it is Giant.
    Agreed. No chance 29ers go away. Personally, I would like to see Giant support all three, just to allow more choices. However, there is only one deciding factor in all of our "E" speculation. The almighty dollar!
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

Nor­wegr
    Would be fun to try out since the pricing is quite affordable, but I'm opposed to having a bike that says Giant on it seeing as I'm 5'7.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I've predicted for a long time that 26ers are going away...for the most part at least. We may see DH bikes hold out for a long time, but 27.5 may be an eventuality there as well. 27.5s will fit those real small people and they will negate 26ers to department stores. 27.5 isn't a fad, but it also isn't 29. 29ers aren't going anywhere, they are way too established at this point, but the market will be too big for all three and there will be no point to 26.

I think when we break it down by exact market, we'll see things like:

-XC race bikes, 60-80% 29ers, others 27.5

-More relaxed XC FS and HT bikes, probably at least 50% 29ers, others 27.5

-Trail bikes up to about 5", 50-60% 29ers, others 27.5

-Aggressive all-mtn (5-6" and slacker) Maybe only 30-40% 29er, others 27.5

-Freeride, probably only 10% 29ers if that (Lenz, WFO, even though the niner is short on travel)

-DH...well, unlikely to ever get past the prototype stage for DH bikes, I don't know if the PBJ would really fit into this category or the one above due to the wacky geometry not being anything close to a modern DH bike, not to mention the modern DH bikes are pretty darn light these days, but whatever, less than 1% IMO would ever be a 29er here. There will likely be some fun park/slope-style 27.5s soon.

-Fatbikes are "technical" 26ers, but the wheels and rims aren't really the same as a 26er and the geometry on these is actually about the same for 29ers. If you slap a set of 29er rims in there with the wide fatbike hubs, you can run normal mountain 29er tires with decent geometry, so these aren't really 26ers IMO.

-Dirt jump/Dual slalom type rides? Such a small part of the market, these have a shot at retaining 26, like DH bikes, but make up such a fraction of the market you are unlikely to ever see one in a store anyway.

I just don't really see 26 fitting in the future at all. There's a fraction of a weight penalty, but 27.5 "fits" a lot of different riding situations and genera, whereas 26 doesn't really span across the spectrum as well anymore with 29ers being so embedded now. 27.5 has the ability to do this and fill in gaps. It's the new 26 IMO.
    Pretty narrow minded point of view.
    What about the kids, and there are quite a few of them!
    Mine are too small for a 650 and too big for a 24". So have a guess what we got - yes a 26". A nice Santa Cruz super light.
    Not all mountain bikers are adults.
    Medz

Uncle
    17.3" chainstays, 70* HTA. Sounds really stable - great for someone just getting into riding dirt, or for folks that want a multi-purpose bike. Glad they're entering the game, even if only at the entry level.

Is that a tapered headset or 1&1/8"?
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    The Tempt 5 I have is 1 1/8

May contain nuts

Giant's released their 2014 650B hardtails...

There's really no excuse for making a 27.5 HT chainstay >17"- my 29er has 16.5" stays and handles so much better for it...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mederz View Post
    Pretty narrow minded point of view.
    What about the kids, and there are quite a few of them!
    Mine are too small for a 650 and too big for a 24". So have a guess what we got - yes a 26". A nice Santa Cruz super light.
    Not all mountain bikers are adults.
    Medz
    I work for a Giant dealer and am not completely sure that is true. On the show room floor a set three small frames next to each other, a Revel 29 , Revel 27.5, and Revel 26. They had shortened the head tube on the 27.5 so that the handlebars were at the same place, and the top tube actually sloped down a bit more. I did not compare BB height though, but that is easily looked up in the geometry charts. I am 6' 2" and ride an 26" FS XC bike, and I didn't notice a difference in wheel weight, but a kid might. I would take them to a local dealer and have them get on and actually see how your kids feel about them. I have asked my local trail admin to do just that as he made the same exact statement. We will see, but I wouldn't discount it being a possibility.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast