mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Giant trance vs Norco sight

I went and looked at some Norco 's yesterday they seem to be a lot of bike for the money. I am used to the maestro suspension on my Giant trance now on my second one 2007 trance and a 2012 trance. Not being a strong climber myself I like the platform my trance offers will I feel a big difference in the Horst link that norco uses?
    I have never ridden any Horst link bikes.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'd like to hear some opinions on this as well. I'm thinking a sight 7.2 carbon would be a great all around fast trail bike, and would like to know how these things pedal in general. I know they have the ctd shock in back, so I suppose you could just put it in climb, and have close to a lockout for long seated smoother climbs. How does the Norco ART FSR-like suspension work under standing climbing and short bursts in say Trail mode on the rear setting? Are they plush coming down? Any direct comparisons between the 2?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I recently sold a 2010 Trance X1 and bought a 2014 Norco Sight 7.1 so I guess I am in a good position to comment on both.
    Jumping straight from a Maestro 125mm travel 26 inch bike to a FSR 4 bar 140mm travel 650B will be different of course but both pedal very well. Adapting from one to the other was no problem and took all of 5 minutes.
    As for the CTD shock on the Sight and the Pro pedal shock on the Trance, personally I hardly ever [lets say never] touch the lever, I just leave it in descend on the CTD or Off in propedal. They both climb well with very little bob, particularly if you don't stomp and concentrate on spin. I would rather leave the lever alone and concentrate on a smooth rhythm rather than break my rhythm by reaching down to flick a lever.
    Dare I say that with sorted suspension designs, damping platforms and good technique relegates most of the levers etc on shocks to the status of sales gimmicks.
    I must point out that I am on my 6th FS bike, race with some success but more importantly do most of my riding in a bike park with 2000 feet of elevation available so I know a thing or two about climbing!
    However..The FSR feels more active though, its sounds odd but on my first ride on the Demo Sight I stopped to check rear tire pressure and linkages etc because it felt like the rear end of the bike was moving around. This translates to great sensitivity from the FSR on climbs with no discernible disadvantage on the descents compared to Maestro.
    I don't think either has it over the other, either way you will get an awesome new bike
    my new Sight

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    That's what I was looking for. I am more of a settle in and climb style of rider vs stand and hammer. Also an attribute of my 2012 trance is it is easy to launch off of rocks and drops and I like that. How would the sight compare?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by aarontriton View Post
    That's what I was looking for. I am more of a settle in and climb style of rider vs stand and hammer. Also an attribute of my 2012 trance is it is easy to launch off of rocks and drops and I like that. How would the sight compare?

The Sight is so easy to launch, just shift your weight back and down and it naturally drops off flat or with slight front lift, very confidence inspiring.
    Do I notice the difference between 650B and 26 inch wheel? yes, but it is subtle, on trails I know very wheel with a good level of technical obstacles the 650b seems to roll faster and maintain speed better but with out the huge wagon wheel feel and handling penalties on 29ers.
    I love the thing, best bike I have ever owned [at that's a few!]