mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Giant trance advanced sx vs pivot mach 6???

Having trouble deciding between these two bikes. Both msrp is roughly same price with X0 build. The exposed cables on the pivot bothers me somewhat (last thing I want is cable rub ruining an expensive frame). The giant dealer is closer and have dealt with before. Both bikes I would have to order. I rode the trance sx felt heavy hope the advanced sx wouldn't be as heavy. Any thoughts?? Is anyone paying less than msrp for ordered bikes?

mtbr member
    DW>Maestro

People are raving about the Mach 6. I test rode one for about an hour and had it on order before that. The ride just confirmed my purchase. Cable rub can be fixed by putting tape on the frame so it should not be a consideration. I hear there are discounts to be had on either bike...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    You should try to ride both bikes. The Giant should have a roomier cockpit since reach numbers are longer compared to the Pivot which is a bit short I think.

mtbr member
    Nobody pays MSRP on bikes. Especially not ordered bikes. At least I don't. No one stocks my size, so I always have to order bikes, but they'll always cut you a deal on what's on the floor. So I just get them to cut me the same deal as what's on the floor by telling them otherwise, it's like your penalizing me for being taller, and I can buy a bike somewhere else.

For my money, I'd take the Pivot.

mtbr member
    While I am happy with my older Giant, I can tell you the brand doesn't have the same "bling" factor that the Pivot would if that is any consideration. I get "oh is that a Giant?" and then conversation always goes to something else. Fine with me, but its a difference for sure. I have 26r trance X and love it if that is any consideration, great bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Nobody pays MSRP on bikes. Especially not ordered bikes. At least I don't. No one stocks my size, so I always have to order bikes, but they'll always cut you a deal on what's on the floor. So I just get them to cut me the same deal as what's on the floor by telling them otherwise, it's like your penalizing me for being taller, and I can buy a bike somewhere else.

For my money, I'd take the Pivot.
    Agree on all points. Why should anyone be penalized for being taller or shorter? LBS stock bikes they can sell quickly but they don't pay the manufacturer/distributor more if they need to order additional bikes. Your only penalty should be you placing a deposit or full payment upfront and having to wait for delivery.
    John 3:16

HBC
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013

The Trance SX is just a awesome looking piece of kit. Just not sure on the Pivot. Doesn't do it for me.

Can't get the SX Advanced here in the UK.

I'd go for the Trance any day of the week.

www.highlandbikes.com

mtbr member

Pivot. No question.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Pivot in a landslide IMO. I rode that bike and it was one of the better bikes I have ever been on. Not to mention Pivot make some of the best looking bikes on the market.