Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hardtailrider2013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    249

    Giant Reign 27.5: Is it worth it?

    Hey guys I'm currently riding a Giant Trance X but I'm looking for a stronger bike since my riding as imporoved a lot and I regularly hit 3-4 feet drops to flat and feel like my Trance is not very suited for that riding, I'm really interessted in the Giant Reign 2015, but is it worth it? Here are some leaked specs: Giant Reign 27.5: Is it worth it?-img_20140718_123432.jpgGiant Reign 27.5: Is it worth it?-image.jpg (it's 2800$, and hoping to sell my Trance around 2000$)

    And do you think 27.5 is here to stay? I tested it and didn't see alot of diffrence, anyway I like my bike to be playfull and jump around, is it something that a 27.5 wheel will do? Because that's what I hated the most of a 29"
    Hit it first, then we can see where to put the landing.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,562
    Trance X - is that a 26" or a 29er? Because they made a Trance in both wheel sizes. News flash. The current Trance (27.5) uses the SAME geometry as the old 26" Reign. It just has 20mm less travel. I spoke to a Giant rep about a feature on a local trail and asked him what I would need to be riding to have it warrantied if it broke when I rode this section of trail, specifically a 3.5 foot drop to flat, and he said they'd warranty the 27.5 trance for that all day long.

    I'd say whether you want the new Trance or the Reign should basically come down to how much climbing you actually do. Simply put, the Trance is going to climb better.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: goobernaculum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    60
    What about a Trance SX 27.5?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    166
    Rocky Mtn Altitude 799msl. Its worth it.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hardtailrider2013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by goobernaculum View Post
    What about a Trance SX 27.5?
    Yeah I though about it, a bit above my buget for now.. going to college next year so I'm saving a bit!
    Hit it first, then we can see where to put the landing.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hardtailrider2013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Trance X - is that a 26" or a 29er? Because they made a Trance in both wheel sizes. News flash. The current Trance (27.5) uses the SAME geometry as the old 26" Reign. It just has 20mm less travel. I spoke to a Giant rep about a feature on a local trail and asked him what I would need to be riding to have it warrantied if it broke when I rode this section of trail, specifically a 3.5 foot drop to flat, and he said they'd warranty the 27.5 trance for that all day long.

    I'd say whether you want the new Trance or the Reign should basically come down to how much climbing you actually do. Simply put, the Trance is going to climb better.
    Hi thanks, I have the Trance X1 2013 (26") The only place I need to climb is at my local trails (wich I ride alot 4 days/week) It's about a 15 min climb, I had no problem doing it with my Trance, and I'm not too afraid about not being able to with the Reign, it's more about if it's worth it or not, I realy like my Trance but I keep having the feeling that I'm damaging my bike and I skip a lot of drops/jumps because of that..
    Hit it first, then we can see where to put the landing.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hardtailrider2013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by Inuitbiker View Post
    Rocky Mtn Altitude 799msl. Its worth it.
    I tried an altitude the other day, but for my buget (around 2500+) the reign is a better build than the rocky..
    Hit it first, then we can see where to put the landing.

  8. #8
    SP Singletrack rocks
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailrider2013 View Post
    Yeah I though about it, a bit above my buget for now.. going to college next year so I'm saving a bit!
    first good luck selling a 26 inch trance for 2k. sorry not going to happen...

    second you current bike is fine at what you do.

    with that said the new 27.5 trances geo is a ton better than 26 inch trance.

    with a 160mm fork on the 27.5 trance the majority of people could ride almost anything they come upon.

    seriously not holding back this guy at all.


  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hardtailrider2013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    first good luck selling a 26 inch trance for 2k. sorry not going to happen...

    second you current bike is fine at what you do.

    with that said the new 27.5 trances geo is a ton better than 26 inch trance.

    with a 160mm fork on the 27.5 trance the majority of people could ride almost anything they come upon.

    seriously not holding back this guy at all.

    that's not what I have, this is a Trance SX
    Hit it first, then we can see where to put the landing.

  10. #10
    SP Singletrack rocks
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by Inuitbiker View Post
    Rocky Mtn Altitude 799msl. Its worth it.
    the rocky pedals like ass.

    I know you have old trance 26er but put a 160mm fork on your bike and you have 26 inch Trance Sx...

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hardtailrider2013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    the rocky pedals like ass.

    I know you have old trance 26er but put a 160mm fork on your bike and you have 26 inch Trance Sx...
    140mm+ voids the warranty
    Hit it first, then we can see where to put the landing.

  12. #12
    SP Singletrack rocks
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    900
    lol end of discussion.......

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hardtailrider2013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    lol end of discussion.......
    aha, I would have bought a pike if I could :P
    Hit it first, then we can see where to put the landing.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    166
    LOL, PA Bush. I guess it does pedal like ass when you have little to no steep terrain to ride it up or down. Sorry, most of us don't ride hybrids out West. Go ride bike not the internetz

  15. #15
    Committed
    Reputation: 1soulrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,594
    Wow those specs look really good....

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hardtailrider2013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider View Post
    Wow those specs look really good....
    I think Giant really nailed it, putting more money towards suspension and tossing out overdrive! Finally I can put whatever stem I want :P
    Hit it first, then we can see where to put the landing.

  17. #17
    Inspector Gadget
    Reputation: abeckstead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    594

    Giant Reign 27.5: Is it worth it?

    Since they're being discussed I'm going to throw my experience with these two bikes in the mix. I had a '11 26er trance x. Looking to go 6fiddyB I demo'd some bikes. I put 22mi on a 27.5 trance x1 and about 3min a 27.5 Rocky Mountain altitude. I bought the Rocky.

    The trance was fun, but it was not a ton different than my 26". It did feel better in the air and at speed. But it was just too long and going to give up ground on the stupid steep, technical tight stuff I really like ride. The 32fox fork sucked, bad and I don't know if I could have gotten that feeling out of my head with a diff fork.

    The Rocky is a 150mm bike so it's not completely a fair comparison. But it was shorter and much more playful. It climbs rough tech better than my giant did. Sure I'm giving some up on smoother climbs... But I only pedal up for the reward downhill and in the air, the Rocky is just wow. It has adjustable geometry too which is neat. I've got just over 100mi on my Rocky in all the main areas I ride. I did not make a bad choice.

    A 150mm 27.5 bike is rad. I imagine the reign will be pretty badass
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hardtailrider2013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    249
    Alright so, to get back to my question: is the Reign worth it over my Trance? I ride fairly rough/steep terrain, hit 3-4 feet drops/jump and I have to climb because there's no chairlift, I feel like the Trance isn't giving me confidence in the bigger drops..

    so Trance?
    or Reign?
    Hit it first, then we can see where to put the landing.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    771
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailrider2013 View Post
    Alright so, to get back to my question: is the Reign worth it over my Trance? I ride fairly rough/steep terrain, hit 3-4 feet drops/jump and I have to climb because there's no chairlift, I feel like the Trance isn't giving me confidence in the bigger drops..

    so Trance?
    or Reign?
    What is the setup on the Trance are you riding. I have a Trance SX that is getting to where I want.

    Switched our 1x10 to 2x10 drivetrain so I can actually climb. Got rid of the 34 Talas Evolution fork and put a 34 Talas Factory fork. Way better, but still wanting a little more (either Pike or 2015 36 RC2 perhaps). I just put an order in for a Cane Creek DBInline shock that will replace the Fox Float Evolution shock.

    I think that will put it pretty close to the new Reign. Yes, a little less travel on the back but pretty close.

    FWIW I came from riding a very nicely setup 2010 Reign and really liked it. Almost have the Trance SX back to the same point with the slight advantage of 27.5.

    Cheers

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hardtailrider2013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by rideitall View Post
    What is the setup on the Trance are you riding. I have a Trance SX that is getting to where I want.

    Switched our 1x10 to 2x10 drivetrain so I can actually climb. Got rid of the 34 Talas Evolution fork and put a 34 Talas Factory fork. Way better, but still wanting a little more (either Pike or 2015 36 RC2 perhaps). I just put an order in for a Cane Creek DBInline shock that will replace the Fox Float Evolution shock.

    I think that will put it pretty close to the new Reign. Yes, a little less travel on the back but pretty close.

    FWIW I came from riding a very nicely setup 2010 Reign and really liked it. Almost have the Trance SX back to the same point with the slight advantage of 27.5.

    Cheers
    My trance is X1 2013, 26" model, all stock (SLX/XT) fox talas 32 140mm (130 actualy) and 125 in the rear
    Hit it first, then we can see where to put the landing.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    771
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailrider2013 View Post
    My trance is X1 2013, 26" model, all stock (SLX/XT) fox talas 32 140mm (130 actualy) and 125 in the rear
    I can see why you might feel a little under gunned at times. You could either upgrade the fork and shock or move to a bike already setup with more suitable suspension components.

    On my 2010 Reign, I changed what would have been a Fox 32 to a Talas 36 160/130/100, replaced the stock Fox RP23 with a X-Fusion Vector Air HLR. I also ran a stronger wheel set and some beefier tires. Those change made the Reign work very nicely for me. I also used an external bottom cup on the headset, which with the help of the 160mm fork put the head angle at very friendly 66 degrees.

    My current setup on the 2014 Trance SX is almost there. According to Giant, the SX stock the head angle is 66 degrees, which for me, is right in the sweet spot for an all purpose trailbike.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hardtailrider2013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    249
    yes, problem is, more than 140mm voids the warranty, so I might be better just getting the Reign like I thought, would like to hear your opinions on that! and selling my fork with the overdrive 2 will be a pain is the ass..
    Hit it first, then we can see where to put the landing.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,562
    Based on what you've talked about, I stick with my initial take on the situation. I'd highly recommend you check out the new Trance. Maybe even the SX. While I wouldn't say the Reign is a chair lift bike, I think you'll start to suffer a lot more on the climbs with it. The new Trance will get you and extra 20mm of travel (and it will take a 160 fork, if that's what you want) in addition to having larger wheels (also theoretically worth ~.5 inch of suspension travel) and still not penalize you on the climbs. I myself have been having this same debate since last year when I decided they were going to make a 27.5 Reign (based on the fact that I knew they were killing off the 26" wheel) (They = Giant) - I'm looking for an all mountain rig, do I want a Reign or a Trance? The key is the climbs to me. Most of my big mountain stuff starts out with fire road grinds, so I could drop either bike into granny and grind up it. Very little technical trail climbing takes place on these rides. So for me, my inclination is towards the Reign, because for stuff where I'm riding climbs on smaller mountains, I've got other bikes, sometimes they just aren't quite enough for the big stuff.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    771
    Cotharyus

    Quick feedback on the Reign and the Trance. I have owned a number of the iterations of the bikes including the original 2005/6 Reign, 2007 Trance, 2008 Reign, 2010 Reign and now a 2014 Trance SX. I have owned some other bikes in there as well, but kept coming back to the Giants.

    My most recent 26" wheeled Reigns with something like a RP23 or Monarch RC3+ didn't pedal much differently than the current Trance SX with the stock FLoat CTD. Then again why should it as the two bikes are only 10mm difference in travel 140 on the SX and 150 on the Reign. Add to that the new Trance SX is supposed to be tuned to have a more plush ride as compared to older Trance frames.

    Not certain if the new Reign will bump the rear travel from 150mm to something like 160 or not, but I believe the front is still 160mm. So really the new Reign won't be all that much different from the Trance SX. One key area should be noted, the Trance frame is limited by frame shape on running certain piggyback shocks, whereas from what I can see on the new Reign, pretty much any current piggyback shock should work. To me, that is the only major benefit between the two.

    I have a DBInline shock on route for my Trance so I will finally get to see how the Trance will work with a good shock.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hardtailrider2013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    249
    Thanks for your response, but even though the Trance SX is interessing, it's out of my budget sadly.. And rideitall, the new reign is 32 lbs, 160 rear/front
    Hit it first, then we can see where to put the landing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-12-2014, 06:01 AM
  2. 2005 giant reign 2(with mods) vs 2009 giant yukon fx
    By zoltanthehungarian in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-06-2014, 02:06 PM
  3. 2012 Giant Reign or Reign X as 650b...
    By rideit in forum 27.5 - 650b
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-14-2012, 08:46 AM
  4. 2005 Giant Reign, worth the asking price?
    By Bustermin in forum Giant
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-13-2012, 04:15 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-28-2012, 03:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •