Giant 27.5 Anthem First Ride & Review With Durianrider - YouTube

NedwannaB
    Good objective clip DR.

~27.5 rider
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member

I was suddenly stuck without a MTB Yikes

Giant 27.5 Test ride video review-anthem_27.5_3_rt.jpg

My frame by the bottom bracket cracked on my old 26 that was working great for me and was 26 lbs. or so
    I bought 1 last week after searching quite a few LBS . I was hoping to spend around $1000-$1500 . All I could find was some over priced 26ers
    and some heavy overpriced 29ers .
    I ended up buying a 2014 Anthem ( aluminum ) 27.5 for $2000
    Works great for me and I am pleased with this bike .Giant 27.5 Test ride video review-cracked.jpg
    Not to happy with the tires available in 27.5" ,I got some WOLVERINE 2.2
    on the way - hope they work better than the stock tires for the all around riding I like to do in NorCal East Bay SRV + I like to ride up steep hills & XC ,downhill is fun but not a top priority .
    I bought the bike with a credit card and will pay the bill each month by selling "stuff" on ebay .

mtbr member
    Crap man, I spent the same money and I got crap m395 brakes, low level sram crank, monarch r shock with no lock out, and a Recon fork, you guys got a much nicer build for the same price. The only way I can get that color and shock combo is to buy the $1,500 frameset. Man I'm pissed lol.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by madsedan View Post
    Crap man, I spent the same money and I got crap m395 brakes, low level sram crank, monarch r shock with no lock out, and a Recon fork, you guys got a much nicer build for the same price. The only way I can get that color and shock combo is to buy the $1,500 frameset. Man I'm pissed lol.
    I have to be honest, the 2014 Giant bikes are not specd' that great for the price as I'm used to seeing. Still great value but nothing out of this world.

Why wouldn't they spec them with the M615 brakes is beyond me.

mtbr member
    Agreed, the first ride I had on the bike I seriously almost went off into a creek as I was riding a trail I had been on many times before and the brakes just didn't stop me. I had to grab them as hard as possible and then put feet down at the bottom of the hill, I almost had a heart attack lol.

I have stripped everything off and sold it except for the fork and shock. I'm only waiting for a few parts to come in that I ordered and I'll reassemble this weekend but those M395 brakes are unacceptable on anything over $750, horrible. If you look at the Australia site for Giant they offer the aluminum frame in 2 trim levels, one kitted like our only option in the states and another like the one in the video for about $600-700 more. I would gladly have paid an additional $ for the one in the video, I'd be riding it right now instead of waiting for parts.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    No need to go to Australia. Freakin' Canada has the 27.5 1 with the higher spec.

How can giant bring only one aluminum model to the us when the whole rest of the world gets the 27.5 1 model?

Does anyone know if that's a final decision by Giant? Could they be delaying the higher model until later? Not hopeful.

I Ride for Donuts
    Did anyone else read the entire rest of this thread with an Aussie accent?

Great vid, I'm shopping, and this helped. And by helped, I mean it made making a decision more difficult.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member

Smile "In the valleys we grow"

I had a cracked frame on my 26er that I liked so much! So I went and shopped around lots of LBS and ended up with a Giant 650b 2014 .
    But still felt bad about my 26er so found junker with the same frame on craigslist and got my 26er back in action and went for a test ride to the place I like to ride .
    The rebuilt bike worked just great BUT was nowhere near what I have now.
    I would never want to go back to my old 26er .
    Im glad to have it back and i will keep it around .
    But The Giant 27.5 is cool and Im glad to have it .
    There is nothing the 26er does better so "forget about it"
    Im sure there are better bikes around and all - but Im happy with my new bike it is just Great - and Im glad I have it !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant 27.5 Test ride video review-rockey.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I have put about 400 miles on my 2014 Anthem 27.5 3 since I bought it 6 weeks ago. It's been a blast to ride. The one thing I would love to change is the rear shock. I'm 5' 8" and 160 lbs so I'm not a big boy by any stretch, but I seem to be bottoming this thing out on a regular basis. I've taken it to my LBS and they say the shock is fine. They checked the pressure and added a few lbs of air to it. This is the same shock that comes on the less expensive Anthem 29er X4. I think this bike for the price should've had a better shock. I'm looking at getting a Fox from Push. I find the brakes to be quite sufficient and will stop me and the bike much faster than the Hayes mechanical disks I had on my 26er. The bike rides very nicely. For the price, you would've thought that Giant would put a nicer kit on her. Cest la' vie, I'll ride her and have fun doing it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    On my fox shock that is on my Specialized Epic I weight right at 200lbs and have to run 245psi to keep it from bottoming out.

I am still waiting on my dealer to get the Anthem Advance 27.5-1 in so I can check it out and more than likely buy it. Plan on getting the Lush Advance for the wife once it comes in as well.