Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 137
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    172

    Giant 2011 Reign 650b with photo

    Giant 2011 Reign can clear 2.3 neo-moto, with more than 10mm of space to the frame.
    the main problem is BB height, I put a RS lyrik 170mm in it, with 26x2.35 tires the BB is 14.25".....now with 650b 2.3 neo moto front and rear it`s now 14 5/8, ..............

    I tried to remove some air from the fork and pressed it to 150mm, the BB height goes back to 14.25", it`s marginally acceptable for the place I ride (Tai Mo Shan, Hong Kong, all rocky and rooty).








  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MMcG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,122
    I knew 650b would clear those 2011s! Nice!

    What is the bottom bracket height at sag (that's what's most important anyway right?)?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    437
    that's very nice!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    172
    For 150mm fork, it will be 14 3/8 ", with 2.3 neo front and rear.
    At sag.... I dont measure yet...

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MMcG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,122
    I bet it will be fine out on the trails. Get out and ride it and report back ASAP!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    172
    yes I will~~ hehe~
    but first I need a better rear hub and re-lace it first, the current hub dont take 10s cassette.
    I will try to release the air of shock and fork, hold them at the 30% sag mark and measure the height tomorrow.
    Also I think so kind of offset bushing for the rear shock may lower the BB by half inch. I may buy some and try it out.

  7. #7
    Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Reputation: Kirk Pacenti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,599
    Great looking bike drummercat!

    Cheers,
    KP
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

    Pacenti Cycle Design

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,258
    Is that a Reign or Reign X ?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    268
    May have been best to have 2.1 out back. 2.3 rubs my front deraileur(Marin).

  10. #10
    May contain nuts
    Reputation: Haggis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,554
    Pardon the OT: what's the Rockshox shock like compared to the RP2? Monarch Plus RC3?

  11. #11
    www.derbyrims.com
    Reputation: derby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,788
    Check seat tube to tire clearance... deflate the shock and compress the rear suspension to bottom of travel.

    Even if there is no extra tire to seat tube clearance at bottom travel, you can shim the shock bottom travel and use offset shock mount bushings to lower the BB with reduced bottom out travel.

    Hopefully there is still plenty of seat tube clearance with 650b to add offset shock mount bushings without shimming the shock to reduce bottom travel.

    Good luck!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    172
    Kirk: yeah thanks! Love the tyres you made!

    gvs_nz: it`s a Reign, but I am sure Reign X will work also.

    socalscott: I run 1x10 , so I am not sure about the FD.....

    Haggis: the Monarch Plus is great!! make sure you buy the low volume with mid or high compress tune. my Low tune blown through travel easily when I switch to low compress position. but it mid position it`s excellent.

    Derby: for Reign I dont think the tyre will hit the seat tube by any chance, there is a long cross beam welded in the rear triangle around the wheel, so if the tyre never touch the cross beam it will be fine I think.
    Last edited by drummercat; 02-13-2012 at 07:39 PM.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    172
    ok I just tried to released all air from the shcok and fork and hold it at 28-30% sag position.
    the BB height is slightly below 13" (it`s measured 13" with my bike slightly slant, no one hold the bike for me. if the bike stand upright it will be below 13"). with an offset bushing on the top side, it will be around 12.75" with sag I think. totally fine for me!!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    77
    drummercat , try riding it first , your bb is just a little bit higher than mine unsagged but you have more travel fr/rr , willing to bet it is fine while riding and the little extra bit of clearance is a welcome addition for me .

    i have thought about offset bushings but my bike works good enough the way it is thats all i have done , thought about it

    while converting the one bike i measured before and after and was kinda worried about the higher bb but after riding it ..................

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MMcG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,122
    I agree with motorbykemike - don't over think it........just ride it. It'll be fine once you get into the shock and fork sag. :thumb:

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    172
    alright.......then I will try to re-lace the rear wheel and ride on this sunday.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    10

    Reign 650b

    I just spent all weekend riding my 2011 giant reign set up 650b. This was my first ride on my new 650b setup. I was trading out the wheels with my wife who also rides a reign. Mine is a large with a pushed RP23 7.875x2.25 rear shock and a lyric air up front. My wife rides a small reign with the stock fox suspension.
    The tires were the 2.3 Pacenti tires set up tubeless front and rear.
    The wheels clear both frames and there are no bottom out issues with either setup.
    I was riding in St. George Utah on a good mix of desert single and double track as well as the classic southern Utah rocks and ledges.
    The bike felt right at home with the larger wheels.
    The bottom bracket height was not as noticeable as I had feared but mine is 14.25 unsagged with the longer stroke rear shock and 25% sag it felt perfect for the ledges of southern Utah.
    my wife's BB is 14.0 unsagged.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: twyeld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    134
    Hey drummercat, where do you ride in HK? I was there recently and rode with some randoms from Mui Wo. Coolest place for MTBing I've been for a while. I reckon I might have seen your bike at the Friendly bike store? I know what you mean about needing a low BB. The rocky steps around there are fun to ride up/over but if you get hung up you need to get a foot down quick...

    T

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MMcG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,122
    Quote Originally Posted by jrj1011 View Post
    I just spent all weekend riding my 2011 giant reign set up 650b. This was my first ride on my new 650b setup. I was trading out the wheels with my wife who also rides a reign. Mine is a large with a pushed RP23 7.875x2.25 rear shock and a lyric air up front. My wife rides a small reign with the stock fox suspension.
    The tires were the 2.3 Pacenti tires set up tubeless front and rear.
    The wheels clear both frames and there are no bottom out issues with either setup.
    I was riding in St. George Utah on a good mix of desert single and double track as well as the classic southern Utah rocks and ledges.
    The bike felt right at home with the larger wheels.
    The bottom bracket height was not as noticeable as I had feared but mine is 14.25 unsagged with the longer stroke rear shock and 25% sag it felt perfect for the ledges of southern Utah.
    my wife's BB is 14.0 unsagged.

    Hit us with some pics!

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by twyeld View Post
    Hey drummercat, where do you ride in HK? I was there recently and rode with some randoms from Mui Wo. Coolest place for MTBing I've been for a while. I reckon I might have seen your bike at the Friendly bike store? I know what you mean about needing a low BB. The rocky steps around there are fun to ride up/over but if you get hung up you need to get a foot down quick...

    T
    I ride mostly in Tai Mo Shan, I wanna try Mui Wo also, my friends told me it`s a good trail. I rode on other side of that island 6 months ago, the trail is Bloody Rocky!!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    172
    Finally I have time to ride it last sunday, bad luck for me I got 2 snake bite flat in one day.
    I will go to test it again this week.

    With the bigger wheels, the bike is definately faster on road (I think it will be faster off-road also), but it`s 5-8% harder to pedal, it makes sense because the wheels are larger and the gears are same. the bike is much taller for me now, not good but I think I can live with it.


  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rzOne20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    45
    do you know the difference between reign 2009 and 2011 in rear wheel clearance?
    .
    excuse my bad english, this is not my native language ... I'll try to improve!
    greetings from...Austria
    .

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,258
    I had a good look at the 2012 Trance x and thought it looked like much more clearance than my 09 Trance X[ eyeball only]. But then I measured my no Ni 2.25[ stock on 2012 Trance X] and ooh I think may be a few more mm but I don't think there's enough yet? Wouldn't take much to fix when they do decide to open it up a bit for the bigger wheels.

    Unless they've moved the bottom bridge,I suspect the 09 reign will fit. Chain stay length hasn't changed.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    14
    I just realised you have this set up as single speed. I'm looking at buying a Reign myself especially to convert to 650b. Do you think it would still be possible to keep it with the three speed front, or would tire clearance with the FD be an issue?

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: twyeld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by drummercat View Post
    Finally I have time to ride it last sunday, bad luck for me I got 2 snake bite flat in one day.
    I will go to test it again this week.

    With the bigger wheels, the bike is definately faster on road (I think it will be faster off-road also), but it`s 5-8% harder to pedal, it makes sense because the wheels are larger and the gears are same. the bike is much taller for me now, not good but I think I can live with it.
    Sweet rig drummercat.

    I saw a lot of guys riding Orange DH/AM bikes with high BBs but they seemed to cope OK. I suspect they run a lot of sag. You could do the same. In fact apart from road riding it would give you a lot of grip for the type of terrain on Lantau

    You're right about the rocky steps at Mui Wo but it's not like that all over. Most of the trails are fast and flowing!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •