Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Gary Fisher Roscoe 650b?

I want to purchase a Gary Fisher Roscoe 2 and want to know if anybody has tried to see if a 650b wheelset would work. Probably good to go in the front but not so sure about the rear. Need to know so I can sell the stock wheel set in new condition right away and order the 650b set. No shops around here have any 650b bikes to pull the wheels off and check. I dont care about front derailleur clearance because its coming off...Going 1x9
    Attached Images Attached Images

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    I would assume not. The Roscoe swingarm moves forwards two inches as the wheel kicks upwards and you'd likely smack the tire into the back of the seattube. They won't clear much more than a 26 x 2.4, let along the 26 x 2.6 you need to safely go to any 650B bigger than a quasimoto.

The quasi (according to shiggy's measurements) as I recall is a 344mm radius from axle center to tallest point of the tread. Double that and its 688mm which is just slightly less than 27.1" diameter. The NeoMoto 2.35 is 8mm more radius than that (27.7" diameter). In fact the only so called 27.5 which actually measures out exactly at 27.5 is the Racing Ralph 2.25. The Nevegal 2.35 is nearly 27.9". If Schwalbe went and offered the 2.4 width RR in a 650B format, I bet the thing would end up as 28" diameter.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    I would assume not. The Roscoe swingarm moves forwards two inches as the wheel kicks upwards and you'd likely smack the tire into the back of the seattube. They won't clear much more than a 26 x 2.4, let along the 26 x 2.6 you need to safely go to any 650B bigger than a quasimoto.

The quasi (according to shiggy's measurements) as I recall is a 344mm radius from axle center to tallest point of the tread. Double that and its 688mm which is just slightly less than 27.1" diameter. The NeoMoto 2.35 is 8mm more radius than that (27.7" diameter). In fact the only so called 27.5 which actually measures out exactly at 27.5 is the Racing Ralph 2.25. The Nevegal 2.35 is nearly 27.9". If Schwalbe went and offered the 2.4 width RR in a 650B format, I bet the thing would end up as 28" diameter.
    Fwiw, all the Quasi-Moto's I've measured here are 699, or 27.51".

Cheers,

KP
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Hey I'm just using the moses of tires's info. I haven't any quasi's to check myself but I've ordered some RR's just because they give me a tenth of an inch more clearance over my NeoMoto 2.35s.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I am curious if anyone has tried putting 650Bs on a Roscoe yet. I picked up a 2010 Roscoe replacement frame from a friend.

Handmade in Switzerland
    That's an interesting question. No one on a Roscoe can try that?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I put a 26" wheel with Nobby Nic 2.4" tires on my Roscoe frame. There was 15mm or more of space everywhere. I then compressed the rear shock all the way. There was 8mm between the tire and seat tube. According to my calculations that means if I got 650B rims and put on some 2.3 tires they would just touch seat tube at full rear compression......hmmm, its tempting to try.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have a brand new Roscoe 1 (bought as a leftover for my son) and will try to fit up as best I can my 650B rear wheel from my Prophet. The standard 2.4 tires look really big with some decent clearance so the 650B of some flavor may fit. You'll end up with a high BB though. This is a very cool bike and for the price I paid a steal.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by thirdchute View Post
    I put a 26" wheel with Nobby Nic 2.4" tires on my Roscoe frame. There was 15mm or more of space everywhere. I then compressed the rear shock all the way. There was 8mm between the tire and seat tube. According to my calculations that means if I got 650B rims and put on some 2.3 tires they would just touch seat tube at full rear compression......hmmm, its tempting to try.
    Your calculations are right on the money.

I fit the wheel from my Prophet on the new Roscoe. My axle is a 10mm thru so I had to kind of guess at the center point for the ABP skewer to tighten down so I tried it all the way forward and also centered.

With a slightly used 2.3" Neo Moto it did not touch the seat post. Very very close but it didn't touch. No problems anywhere else I could see. At the very least with a small shim in the shock (or smaller tire) you'd be good to go for sure with this bike.

mtbr member
    hhmmm..
    lets see if I can borrow one to try out.

mtbr member
    Has anybody made this happen on a Roscoe?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Like in my above post it will work and should be no problem with a 2.1 or 2.2 tire. Seatpost just cleared with a 2.3 Neo Moto. Might hit slightly with a 2.35 Nevegal which is a little taller. Worst case you add a small shim inside the shock to prevent any seatpost contact. At some point when I get the proper QR (not my current 10mm thru axle) for my Hadley hub I'll mount it up with some pics.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Like in my above post it will work and should be no problem with a 2.1 or 2.2 tire. Seatpost just cleared with a 2.3 Neo Moto. Might hit slightly with a 2.35 Nevegal which is a little taller. Worst case you add a small shim inside the shock to prevent any seatpost contact. At some point when I get the proper QR (not my current 10mm thru axle) for my Hadley hub I'll mount it up with some pics.
    Awesome.

I prefer the meat up front (2.3-2.4) and skinny in the back (2.1-2.2) for my XC/Trail/AM rides, so this is great news.

mtbr member
    Jsut wondering if there are any pics yet?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Sorry for resurfacing a dead thread, but, any pics yet?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hi I am deciding if to build my Roscoe with 26" tires or 650b tires which would you recommend. I will like to do the 650b but would to feel good about my decision?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jborges View Post
    Hi I am deciding if to build my Roscoe with 26" tires or 650b tires which would you recommend. I will like to do the 650b but would to feel good about my decision?
    I'd love for my Roscoe to be 650b... But the wheel set and tires are too new to justify the conversion right now

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiebrett View Post
    I'd love for my Roscoe to be 650b... But the wheel set and tires are too new to justify the conversion right now
    Ok but I would like to know if I am going to be ok with it.

mtbr member
    Ok but I would like to know if I am going to be ok with it.
    We can't answer that for you. If you feel 650B is for you, then people here are saying that a Roscoe should be able to be ran 650B.

Owning a 29er, I'm stoked about 650B for my AM/trail rig.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiebrett View Post
    We can't answer that for you. If you feel 650B is for you, then people here are saying that a Roscoe should be able to be ran 650B.

Owning a 29er, I'm stoked about 650B for my AM/trail rig.
    Ordered the 650b wheelset stans flow ex will order neo moto tires

mtbr member
    Ordered the 650b wheelset stans flow ex will order neo moto tires
    Sorry for my previous tone (re-reading it sounds a bit snarky), I misunderstood what you were asking.

How has the GF Roscoe 650b build up gone?! Seems to me this bike would be a blast configured that way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    jborges -

Let me know how things work out. I have finally acquired all the parts to build up my 2010 Roscoe III frame including a set of Blunt SL 650B wheels and Schwalbe Nobby Nics. I hope to get the bike built in June. I have various 26" wheels I can put on it also......should be fun to see the difference.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thirdchute View Post
    jborges -

Let me know how things work out. I have finally acquired all the parts to build up my 2010 Roscoe III frame including a set of Blunt SL 650B wheels and Schwalbe Nobby Nics. I hope to get the bike built in June. I have various 26" wheels I can put on it also......should be fun to see the difference.
    Any updates?!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Gary Fisher Roscoe 650b?-roscoe.jpg

Finally got around to building my Roscoe. It has SLX brakes and an SLX drivetrain, a Fox Float FL fork and Velocity Blunt SL rims with SRAM X9 hubs. The tires are 27.5x2.35 Nobby Nics that are a tad snug in the front and when I decompress the rear shock all the way they just touch the rear frame. I orders some Hans Dampf 27.5x2.25s which should fit better.

So far the ride is nice and more stable compared to my 26" wheels I also have for this frame. Unfortunately, we are getting up to a foot of snow in the mountains tonight so I might not be able to get this bike out for some real tests until next spring.

mtbr member
    Awesome! Any idea how much the BB was raised? Or, what is the new BB height?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast