Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dinner for wolves

A funny thing happened over at the LenzSport website

The Revelation suddenly and quietly became the Revelation 650b.

I wonder if the Spankster would accept a 650b rear wheel shod with decent rubber?
    Responds to gravity

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    The Revelation suddenly and quietly became the Revelation 650b.

I wonder if the Spankster would accept a 650b rear wheel shod with decent rubber?
    Very interesting!
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Rad!

If I did not build bikes, the only full suspension I'd consider is Lenz. They are awesome. Great to hear that Devin is doing a 650 setup - that will instantly be the best FS 650b around.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Interesting indeed.

I don't know much about Lenz bikes. Never saw one in the flesh. Looks like a stoutly built single-pivot frame.

Maybe the 26" demand was waning, the 650b wheel happened to fit, and...presto! "New" bike to sell in a niche lacking (m)any FS XC choices.

Anyway, while I am sure I sound critical, I do hope they sell a bunch, so that Specialized, or Trek see a market to cash in on and start selling 650b bikes. Not that I want one, I'd just like the resulting tires/forks options.

mtbr member
    Cool!!8

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    XTR rims on the bike pictured.....!!??

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    is that a manitou minute fork? doesn't look like a 26er that was converted.. too much space..?
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by JC822 View Post
    XTR rims on the bike pictured.....!!??
    The picture is of a 26" bike... note the tires and fork.

Cheers,

KP
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti View Post
    The picture is of a 26" bike... note the tires and fork.

Cheers,

KP
    ya,, that makes more sense
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

dirtbag
    Kudos to Lenz Sport supporting 650b!
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Methinks he needs to order up some 650b wheels, some Pacenti Tires, and a WB Look or X-Fusion fork for that bike featured on the web site!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I think a 650b Milk Money would be awesome.

Dinner for wolves
    650b Milk Money 4.0 would be the dog's bollocks for sure.
    Responds to gravity

Witty McWitterson
    I've spent some time on a Behemoth. Fantastic bike. If I were in a place that demanded FS, Lenz would certainly be at the top of the list.
    Just a regular guy.

nothing relevant to say
    A 650B MM is currently being made for a customer. Lenz is also thinking about doing one more of their bikes as a 650B.....hmmmmm. Which will it be???? Time will tell.

Wrench
    What's the weight of the frame?

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Wow, should be a really cool bike.

Dinner for wolves
    Be neither first nor last, that's the trick. 650b appeals to me as someone who rides both 26ers and 29ers. The fact that Devin is advertising a 650b sled on his website is super exciting. Thoughts of 650b MM, Spanksters and Behemoths are swirling in my brain. I have two reservations, and I am thinking aloud here:
    1. I hesitate to invest over 2k in a frame designed around a wheel standard that the builder is not experienced with. Especially a FS design. I'd love to hear Devin's thoughts on 650b and designing for the standard. There is .
    2. I hesitate to invest over 4k in a bike that has a rare wheel/tire standard. This concern shrinks every year, Also, as another poster in this forum (29 for DH thread) pointed out, how many choices in tires do you need if good ones are available. Still, tooling the quiver for an unpopular wheel size makes a guy pucker.

A playful, scaled down (w/ respect to wheels) B-hemoth would be very well suited to our terrain out here in PA...I think.
    Responds to gravity

dwt
    mtbr member
    1. I hesitate to invest over 2k in a frame designed around a wheel standard that the builder is not experienced with. Especially a FS design. I'd love to hear Devin's thoughts on 650b and designing for the standard.
    Judging by what he has been able to accomplish with 29'ers, my layman's guess is that 650b will be a piece of cake for him.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Judging by what he has been able to accomplish with 29'ers, my layman's guess is that 650b will be a piece of cake for him.
    No doubt. Question is, do you buy one of his 29ers or ask him to make a 650b. This is my personal dilemna.
    Responds to gravity

dwt
    mtbr member
    No doubt. Question is, do you buy one of his 29ers or ask him to make a 650b. This is my personal dilemna.
    Man is THAT the $64 question. Here he has 29'ers with travel and handling that a few years ago were "impossible." Including a DH bike, no less. So is that the Holy Grail and the end of the story?

Note how the Revelation 650b X-C bike is pitched:

When you take your first ride on this bike, you'll know why we call it the Revelation. No other bike will ever feel as comfortable, fast, or quick to handle than the Lenz Sport Revelation Cross Country bike. This super light Lenz mountain bike sports 3" of smooth travel and 650b wheels. 650b equates to 27.5", so it's halfway between 26" and 29". 650b is great for smaller riders who still want the big wheel efficiency, or for those who just don't want to make the jump to 29". The Rev is our super light weight full suspension racer. While no other bike compares to the Revelation for smaller riders, it's also a great choice for aggressive riders looking to save weight and ride fast
    The Lunch Box 29:

You have never ridden a bike like this....NEVER! The Lunch Box is our 6 inch travel 29er mountain bike that is built to exceed the expectations of aggressive trail riders. We pushed the limits on this Lenz bike with six inches of plush travel and a 150mm x 12mm rear thru axle. The added stiffness let's you rip through twisty technical terrain with a level of confidence you will never get on a 26 inch wheeled bike. There is really no comparison. It's like putting Andre the Giant up against the seven dwarfs. While our 26 inch friends are walking their bikes down sweet terrain, we are ripping past them with ease. It's time for the core biking community to realize the possibilities of 29er riding, and the Lunchbox is the bike to make it happen.
    If you meld these two together, what do you get? A lighter, quicker handling AM bike, for "aggressive" or "smaller" riders?

The only way to really figure it out is to demo both a Lunch Box 29 and a 650b first. Which you can't do. Damn.

Selfishly speaking: be the guinea pig for the LB 650b and then report back. Maybe it will be the new Holy Grail

Dinner for wolves
    DWT,

I am, at the core, risk averse, but I do trust my gut after all these years. A 5-6" travel 650b rig from Mr. Lenz, famous for his agile deep travel 29ers (and famous for his deep travel 26" monocoque downhill rigs before that), might be the Holy Grail of trail bikes, indeed. The planets seem to be aligning, though, right? The wheel and rim options are growing on the AM side of things. We have excellent WB Loop and Xfusion forks that are welcoming 650b wheels with open arms. Tires...well, we'll see how that goes but so far so good. And now both Jamis and Lenz picking up where Ventana left off. What's holding me back? Nothing, except I really wish it was the Behemoth or Mammoth or LB 650b on the website. A sense that Lenz was sharing the same vision/hallucination that I was.

But I am sure a 29er Behemoth would have me giggling like a maniac on the trail also.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

new ride, came together super well

All
    Currently riding my 650b Lenz lunchbox (6 inch travel) on all types of terrain, and writing this from whistler with a big smile. Devin built the frame up for me over the winter and it finally came together a couple of months ago. My main purpose was to have a bike that would be fun to ride up as well as down the Whistler valley trails, Moab etc. He totally nailed it. We worked a geometry around the Xfusion vengeance 170 mm to get 67 degree HA. I have nevegal 2.35s now, with tons of clearance and looking to go tubeless and wider when those tires become available. Super ascending bike, and butter on the rocky rooty stuff downhill!! Loving the stiff rear 12x150mm.

Ive owned most of the industry standards, 26 and 29er in the last several years Yeti/Turner/Titus/Pivot/Moots/Niner/Ventana/Knolly. Love em all, but my new Lenz is definately my favorite, and does exactly what I was hoping it would do in steep techinical terrain.

Cheers

Dinner for wolves
    Very cool. A picture or two would make us all very happy.

Do you happen to know what sort of geometry changes from the standard 29er LB Devin made for your 650b sled? Just curious.
    Responds to gravity

dwt
    mtbr member
    Sounds ideal. Holy grailish

Is this a bike he will now be producing stock?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast