mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Front Wheel Sources

New to the 650b idea. Thinking of putting one up front on my wife's Turner Flux to slow down the geo a bit and get the benefits of the slightly bigger wheel.

Can anybody recommend some front wheel sources? Since this is a bit of an experiment, I'm not looking to break the bank on Big Bling (I'll wait for that until the idea proves successful).

Thanks!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

www.derbyrims.com
    There aren't any production 650b wheels made other than OEM with 650b models from Jamis and KHS, as far as I know. Except sometimes there are some relatively heavy 650b XC wheels with QR hubs sold on Ebay.

There isn't the 650b market yet or financial confidence to get a large production run of wheels made.

Otherwise 650b wheels are custom built, such as by UniversalCycles.com and other on-line custom builders, and local bike shops can order wheels built by their distributor if they don't build wheels in-house.

Higher end custom branded rim and hub choices are from Stan's and American Classic.

It's very rare to find used 650b wheels for sale, seems like few riders are disappointed.

mtbr member
    Shouldn't be too expensive to have someone build you a front wheel up though.......You don't need an super fancy front hub, and there are several nice 650b rim choices available that won't cost an arm and a leg.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks for the input, guys.

Any recommendations for a rim? Prefer something nice and light, but not too narrow. Mrs. Kosmo is a small, gentle rider, but tends to prefer somewhat larger, cushier tires.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

www.derbyrims.com
    Stan's Flow or Crest, and the Velocity Blunt-SL or wider standard Blunt are the lightest somewhat wider options. The Alex-D Lite rims aren't as wide.

There may be others... at 200 lbs I don't pay much attention to lightest weight

mtbr member
    Aloha,

I just bought all the pieces from Universal to put a wheel together for my Turner Spot experiment.

Hub - Hope Pro 2 EVO
    Rim - Alex XD-Lite 650b
    Spokes - DT 272 mm, 274 mm
    DT Alloy nipples
    Tire - Kenda Nevagal

Total cost was about $280 shipped here to Hawaii.

I just now got done building and truing the wheel out. Will do a test fit soon.

Good luck with that, if you're willing to buy the parts, I'd be happy to build the wheel for you and send it out to you when I'm done. No charge.

I decided to go with a decent wheel just in case it's a good thing. Figured if I went cheap and it worked out, I'd be building another wheel which would cost me more $$.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Might as well build it up decent because 1st I'd be surprised if she didn't like the change and second in the possibility she did not like it someone here would scoop it up quick.

Not sure where you live but you can order a nice Hope EVO Pro 2 front hub (their newest) from Evans Cycles in the UK for $70. Either pay the 7-8 dollar shipping to the states or add an additional item for $10 and get FREE shipping. Pick your current axle size but this hub converts in seconds from QR, 9mm thru, and 15 or 20mm with the proper end caps. No brainer for me anyway.

Stans Crest or Velocity Blunt SL rim might fit the bill nicely for her.

Another possibility is just have Velocity build you a front wheel only with a convertible hub for $250. You can have your choice of 3 rim colors, spoke and nipple colors and nipple material.

Velocity - Blunt SL 650b Comp Build Wheelset
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b