mtbr member

Frame only FS 27.5's

Hey, I've got a Jamis Dakar 650 and I love it. Except I broke a chainstay and although Jamis was good to me, it seemed to break too easily and since then the frame has been great, but I ride hard and I can't help thinking I'm gonna break it again someday (google jamis broken chainstay). I'm pretty happy with the parts I've got ( Built a nice wheelset, dropper post, White Bros fork) although I would like to go XO1 when its available.

My question, I'd like to get a list of frames that are available as options to swap my parts onto. Personally I like the travel (120?) and geo of the Jamis, 69 HTA 17.7 CS, 13.5 BB. So I'm looking at stuff like the Solo, but I would be willing to up the travel a bit. I don't think I need 150. What are my options for frame only?
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    So far I've come up with these:

Intense Carbine
    Intense Tracer
    Turner Flux
    Turner Burner
    Ventana Alpino
    Ventana Zeus
    Ellsworth Epiphany
    Norco sight
    Norco Range

As far as I can tell the Rocky mountain and Santa Cruz 27.5's come as complete bikes only, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyone know of any other frames available, or soon to be available?
    Last edited by icecreamjay; 07-01-2013 at 03:26 PM.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    My current "A" bike is the Tracer 275 which is a great bike but more travel than I need probably. I was thinking about the Ventana Alpina but I couldn't get a test ride and I've had a hit and miss experience with Ventana suspension so due to my great past experiences with Turner I think the Turner Flux 120mm with a 68 degree HA is going to be my XC 27.5.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider View Post
    My current "A" bike is the Tracer 275 which is a great bike but more travel than I need probably. I was thinking about the Ventana Alpina but I couldn't get a test ride and I've had a hit and miss experience with Ventana suspension so due to my great past experiences with Turner I think the Turner Flux 120mm with a 68 degree HA is going to be my XC 27.5.
    On the Ventana's, The new pivot location and shorter stays ride different than the previous generations.

To the OP, The Alpino scratches every itch you have..Alpino | Ventana Mountain Bikes USA
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Ibis Mojo HDR
    Banshee Spitfire V2 (set up with with a 140 Loop and flip chips in high/steep position you'll be about 68 degree HA)

Knolly Endorphin soon
    Pivot ??? I'm thinking soon. Hopefully a Mach 275 but it could be a carbon Firebird...maybe both?

The Norco Range is a 160mm bike so perhaps not what you're looking for?
    You can get the Rocky Altitude as frame only but just the carbon version.

Remember with careful choice of a fork (for axle/crown height) or the use of an angle set you should be able to get just about any HA you might want to try.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by icecreamjay View Post
    So far I've come up with these:

Intense Carbine
    Intense Tracer
    Turner Flux
    Turner Burner
    Ventana Alpino
    Ventana Zeus
    Ellsworth Epiphany
    Norco sight
    Norco Range

As far as I can tell the Rocky mountain and Santa Cruz 27.5's come as complete bikes only, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyone know of any other frames available, or soon to be available?
    You need it right now? the SC will be out as frame only in a month or two.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tip. 'll be able to test the Turner within 20 minutes of my weekly rounds, if it rides as well as the Sultan and 5 Spot I test rode I'll be happy with it as my XC ride. As I said I've tested the old El Rey in small and medium and liked it. Tested the old Ciclone and El Salt and didn't like them, unless I can get a test ride I'll have a hard time dropping the cash.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    You need it right now? the SC will be out as frame only in a month or two.
    No, don't need it now, I'm just looking over my options. Good to know the SC bikes will be sold frame only. I'm guessing both Bronson and Solo will eventually be available?

skidad, I was just looking at the Banshee's and Pivot Firebird last night. Is there any info anywhere on the Knolly? I couldn't find anything.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    No, don't need it now, I'm just looking over my options. Good to know the SC bikes will be sold frame only. I'm guessing both Bronson and Solo will eventually be available?

skidad, I was just looking at the Banshee's and Pivot Firebird last night. Is there any info anywhere on the Knolly? I couldn't find anything.
    From what I remember of the TBLT release it was the same thing, completes first for a few months then frame only offerings.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Knolls is being very tite lipped about the Endorphin. It's coming for sure pretty soon but no details about travel or frame material etc

mtbr member
    I think Rocky sells the Altitude 790 as frame only as well as complete bike.

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    Ventana Alpino and Turner Flux would be lighter than SC Solo Alu for the travel around 120-125mm. All with different suspension design if that matters.
    I'm on the same boat and gearing toward Flux if logistic is not an issue. (I'm 8000 miles away from any of those brand home soil).
    If you don't need it now in next few month will be more choice as mentioned above. Knolly, Canfield, Pivot(?).
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by softailteamrider View Post
    Ventana Alpino and Turner Flux would be lighter than SC Solo Alu for the travel around 120-125mm. All with different suspension design if that matters.
    I'm on the same boat and gearing toward Flux if logistic is not an issue. (I'm 8000 miles away from any of those brand home soil).
    If you don't need it now in next few month will be more choice as mentioned above. Knolly, Canfield, Pivot(?).
    you have the weights for both or you assuming?
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    you have the weights for both or you assuming?
    I don't have it weigh by me. It's based on claimed weight. Their website quote 5.75 lbs for Flux and 6.74 for SC Solo Aluminum for M size. Hope their claim is not too far off.
    Even if Flux weighed with no shock, the Fox CTD should not yield 1 lbs difference.
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

mtbr member

Pressure's on

So after poring over geometry and specs for the last 2 weeks I've examined all the options and balanced pros and cons, price, existing component compatibility, cable routing, travel, suspension types, reviews, customer service, dealer locations, and more. I can't sleep cause my brain is overloaded.

To top it off, my Jamis cracked on saturday. I heard it happen. Just a hairline on top of the driveside chainstay front weld. Same place it broke last time. Gonna ride it easy unless/until it gets worse. May put some JB weld on there

Anyways, I figured out that my loop fork can be set at 130, 140 or 150 mm travel, awesome. I also decided that I like to drop off stuff and I really like to "see what she can do" when it comes to technical downhills. Ours aren't long, but some are as nasty as hell. So any bike up to 150 is now in the running.

Then I eliminated any bike with a 30.9 post. I've got a 31.6 LEV and I don't want to shell out for another.

Also, trying to figure out BB compatibility hurt my head. And the lack of long term press fit BB durability reviews. Anyways, I'd rather not buy another crankset at the moment so I would like a threaded BB.

So, here are my conclusions... I think.

Turner - BB a bit low (New England), chainstays a bit long, 30.9 post

Norco - Ugly colors, weird cable routing, 30.9 post

Ellsworth - Mixed review on suspension, no dealers, 27.2 post ???

Banshee - No dealers, unique suspension that I have no chance of test riding, I find them ugly as well.

Pivot- Firebird's 160 rear travel is too much for my fork, don't want to buy a new one. Dealers an hour away.

Intense - I gotta admit that I almost pulled the trigger on both the tracer and the Carbine. Tracer is a bit low and heavy, Carbine expensive and PF BB. But bottom line, no Intense dealer around, there is a history of breakage ( NOT what I want to go through again, no matter how good the CS ) and the word in the forums is the best way to take advantage of Intense CS is through a dealer.

Santa Cruz - I think I would be happy with a bronson. Threaded BB, lots of travel. There is local dealer, but it seems like inventory is an issue. Also, its a 30.9 post. Not a total dealbreaker, still in the top three.

Ventana - I like the Zeus, and I'd buy one, if they will build me one with a 31.6 post and threaded BB shell. Maybe they will if I ask, and Ventana customer service gets great reviews. Also in the top three, but time is an issue, and custom work is $$$$.

Ibis -Threaded BB, 31.6 post, Ibis dealer about a half hour away. I like the BB height. The negatives are limited rear tire clearance (I think?) and "only" 130mm travel. But I like my current bike, which is 130, so that's not a deal breaker

But it also has the option of switching chips and running a 26er in the rear at 160 mm . It'll take a 180 fork up front in that setup. Need a different shock, but secretly in my mind I wanted a bike that I could take up to Highland MTB Park. Never been, but I need to. This bike can be set up to do that.

So I'm thinking Ibis Mojo HDR 650. It's not a cheap frame, but I think I can build it up with my existing parts without buying anything other than cables. Local dealer to go through, this gives me peace of mind shelling out that dough. Ability to run it as a park bike. Anyone see any flaws in my logic.

Damn, that got long, sorry bout that.

mtbr member
    So two other options I forgot to mention.

I could get a heckler frame and a new dropper post for less than any of the other frames alone. I'm not a big suspenson geek, been riding linkage driven single pivots, I've never tried any "name brand" suspension like vpp, dw , horst, etc. I like the simplicity and durability.

I could also get an aluminum Santa Cruz and a new post for less than the mojo, but the aluminum frames seem in short supply and I end up spending almost as much for a heavier bike. I'm not against the solo, the mojo has only 5 mm more travel so....
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I think you're ruling out to many bikes with your need for a 31.6 seat post. Lev is a decent post which you could sell pretty easily I think.

Blackstone Bicycles in Cumberland RI carries Ibis, Banshee, Pivot, and Rocky Mountain (don't forget the Altitude frame which you have to get in the carbon), KHS, and Transition. They have test bikes you can take for the day for pretty reasonable money. I rode a Mojo HD 160 and a Banshee Prime 29'er and although gearing wasn't to my liking on either (1x10 with 32 or 30 front) both bikes were a blast. They have some new demo bikes now including an Altitude I think. I ended up with a Banshee Spitfire which I'm still assembling). Good shop that lives and breaths mtn. biking.

Blackstone Bicycles

JRA Bikes in Medford MA also has an extensive demo program. They also sell Ibis, Pivot, Yeti, Rocky mtn, Kona, Niner, Felt, Cannondale, Commencal, and GT. I haven't been there but it's supposed to be a wonderful shop and like a candy store for mtn. bikers.

boston, bikes, mtb, mountain bikes, road bikes, bmx, kids, cyclocross, bicycles

If you're interested in another Jamis of any type PM me since you're pretty local (I'm in eastern MA also). I can get you a deal you won't find anywhere else. (a seat post as well as an FYI)

Also, this is from the Ventana site PF30 BB shell accommodates both BB30 & standard threaded BBs I'm sure they could build you one with a 31.6 seat tube but again I think you're nit picking. Just sell the Lev.

This also popped up on the Ibis forum yesterday about getting more travel in 650b mode for the HDR

Quote Originally Posted by Mattoid View Post
    I'm curious how Bikeco.com is getting 147mm of travel.
    IBIS keeps updating there website, saw this today:

Want more travel in 650b mode? Here's what you do: Set the frame up in the 160 travel mode, have Fox add a 6mm travel reducing spacer in the shock (or a 7mm if you want to use a Hans Dampf). You'll get 140-145mm of travel in this mode.

mtbr member
    Ask Blackstone Bicycles about the 650b offerings from XPrezo Bikes out of Quebec - they might have something you are looking for in a nice well built single pivot for a decent price. I think the US dollar is a little stronger than the Canadian dollar right now as well so you may save some $$ that way too.

Oh Call Blackstone and ask for Brendan Dee - he's a great guy and either sole owner or co-owner of the shop.

orthonormal
    So after poring over geometry and specs for the last 2 weeks I've examined all the options and balanced pros and cons, price, existing component compatibility, cable routing, travel, suspension types, reviews, customer service, dealer locations, and more. I can't sleep cause my brain is overloaded.

To top it off, my Jamis cracked on saturday. I heard it happen. Just a hairline on top of the driveside chainstay front weld. Same place it broke last time. Gonna ride it easy unless/until it gets worse. May put some JB weld on there

Anyways, I figured out that my loop fork can be set at 130, 140 or 150 mm travel, awesome. I also decided that I like to drop off stuff and I really like to "see what she can do" when it comes to technical downhills. Ours aren't long, but some are as nasty as hell. So any bike up to 150 is now in the running.

Then I eliminated any bike with a 30.9 post. I've got a 31.6 LEV and I don't want to shell out for another.

Also, trying to figure out BB compatibility hurt my head. And the lack of long term press fit BB durability reviews. Anyways, I'd rather not buy another crankset at the moment so I would like a threaded BB.

So, here are my conclusions... I think.

Turner - BB a bit low (New England), chainstays a bit long, 30.9 post

Norco - Ugly colors, weird cable routing, 30.9 post

Ellsworth - Mixed review on suspension, no dealers, 27.2 post ???

Banshee - No dealers, unique suspension that I have no chance of test riding, I find them ugly as well.

Pivot- Firebird's 160 rear travel is too much for my fork, don't want to buy a new one. Dealers an hour away.

Intense - I gotta admit that I almost pulled the trigger on both the tracer and the Carbine. Tracer is a bit low and heavy, Carbine expensive and PF BB. But bottom line, no Intense dealer around, there is a history of breakage ( NOT what I want to go through again, no matter how good the CS ) and the word in the forums is the best way to take advantage of Intense CS is through a dealer.

Santa Cruz - I think I would be happy with a bronson. Threaded BB, lots of travel. There is local dealer, but it seems like inventory is an issue. Also, its a 30.9 post. Not a total dealbreaker, still in the top three.

Ventana - I like the Zeus, and I'd buy one, if they will build me one with a 31.6 post and threaded BB shell. Maybe they will if I ask, and Ventana customer service gets great reviews. Also in the top three, but time is an issue, and custom work is $$$$.

Ibis -Threaded BB, 31.6 post, Ibis dealer about a half hour away. I like the BB height. The negatives are limited rear tire clearance (I think?) and "only" 130mm travel. But I like my current bike, which is 130, so that's not a deal breaker

But it also has the option of switching chips and running a 26er in the rear at 160 mm . It'll take a 180 fork up front in that setup. Need a different shock, but secretly in my mind I wanted a bike that I could take up to Highland MTB Park. Never been, but I need to. This bike can be set up to do that.

So I'm thinking Ibis Mojo HDR 650. It's not a cheap frame, but I think I can build it up with my existing parts without buying anything other than cables. Local dealer to go through, this gives me peace of mind shelling out that dough. Ability to run it as a park bike. Anyone see any flaws in my logic.

Damn, that got long, sorry bout that.
    Bikes with BB30/PF30 BB shells can run a threaded BB with an adapter. I don't know if there's an adapter available for PF92.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    Bikes with BB30/PF30 BB shells can run a threaded BB with an adapter. I don't know if there's an adapter available for PF92.
    Praxis Works | Conversion Kit

Hisforever
    Thats a long post!

in my opinion, the seatpost could easily be sold, buy another and you have more bikes to choose from.

In the same boat as you wanting a 650b, I looked at a few bikes I really liked.

1 the foes- hell yeah- not sure about the suspension and $$$ too
    2. the turner-- i think the dw is going to have the best suspension out of all.
    3. the bronson- looked like a decent ride- colors are ugly imo.

In the end, I have a burner coming-everytime I have ridden a new one, it only takes a couple minutes before I feel comfortable on a Turner. Burner has been getting great reviews. feelin good about this one.

good luck
    Jesus Saves

mtbr member
    Thanks guys.

I agree that ruling out bikes just cause of the post size is kind of illogical when spending this kind of dough, but I need something to just narrow it down.

Good to know about Blackstone bikes, sounds like an awesome shop. I've researched JRA and hear lots of good things. But both those shops are around an hour from my house. I don't have a lot of free time until September or so.

I looked into all the adapters and PF bb's and stuff and as far as I can tell the adapter for the PF BB is still pressed in, then you screw the BB into that. What if play/creaking develops there? I hate creaks, its the reason I won't ride an eccentric BB. Just too much BS with adapters and crap. I'd rather buy a Chris King and thread it in. I know it'll stay in place and its system I'm familiar with.

Also on the plus side for the Mojo, I checked out Spark Bike shop in Taunton , the nearest Ibis dealer and they had a mojo HD and a Ripley there. Looks like a really nice shop and they offer free lifetime tuneups on any bike or frame purchased there. I usually tune my own bike, but there are times when I don't have the time or would rather have a pro look at something.

Bad news is that the Mojo HDR won't be available until mid august. So I guess I have time to weigh my options further, although I was told to put my money down quickly in case they sell out (don't salesmen always say that, they hate watching you walk out the door).
    NEMBA Freetown VP