Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Team Bionic Pickle

Which frame: New Flux or 5010 Carbon?

Tormenting myself over this one... I like the 5010c because it's a little lighter, but I love the ride of the DW-Link on the Flux 27.5.

Thoughts...

mtbr member
    The flux may have a nicer suspension on the rear but how much is "a little lighter".
    Pricing the same between the models you are looking at?
    I rode a 650b SC Nickel most of this year and loved it, and it was the more budget friendly SC suspension so I'd imagine the 5010 would be even better, more efficient. But my friends with Turner's love them, like forever lol
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I love the Solo but as madsedan said, I have never met anyone who rode a Turner who didn't absolutely LOVE it. I have rode a Turner and have to agree. High on my list for my next bike.

That being said so is the Solo (I can't call it 5010 yet). Both awesome rides but I would have to ride both and then compare.

If I I opt for a frame in that travel range (still considering a 140-150 travel bike as well) those are at the top of my list. Keep us posted.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yeah, keep us posted. just looked at the specs, and a med Flux is only 5.75 lbs. Pretty good! Again makes me wonder why the alum Solo and Bantam are so heavy. Back to topic, seems like both bikes are pretty versatile (can be built up light, but also go up to 140mm forks). Geo is pretty similar. Flux is a little longer in the rear 17.4 v 17.1, but both have the slack but low geo otherwise. Sounds like two really good bikes!

Team Bionic Pickle
    Quote Originally Posted by madsedan View Post
    ...but how much is "a little lighter".
    Probably approaching about 3/4 of a pound lighter for the Solo (5010).

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'd go with the Flux.

I've ridden DWL for a few years and recently got a SC Bronson in addition. The VPP is nice--eats up rough terrain like mad, handles well--but the sprightly, fun feeling of DW isn't there. Just chatted with my LBS about this, and they admit VPP has a bit of a "dead" feeling to it. I thought of that term to describe it to them, but they beat me to it.

Plus, made in USA is cool.

When it's time to upgrade the wife's ride, it's gonna be DW and very likely Turner.

mtbr member
    I think Turner said in MTBR's interbike videos something along the lines of the Flux frame being built "as light as prudent", and not as stiff and strong as the Burner, which makes sense of course. But I wonder how it would hold up under more abusive conditions vs the carbon Solo. That's a tough one....American made alum w/ DW Link and Turner mystique, vs badass SC Carbon. The guys at my local shop are 29er zealots and they're raving about how good the Solo is. Of course, the Turner dealer right down the street, which is another awesome IBD, is probably feeling the same way about the Flux.

Any chance of test riding both?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    As a DW Link and VPP2 owner I'd say go with the frame that fits you better. I've learned the hard way (read: expensive mistakes/learning lessons) that frame weight and suspension design take a back seat to proper fit. I just don't fit on some frames. I'd rather have a slightly heavier frame if it fit me like a glooooove.

If you like the DW Link ride better I'd find a frame with Dave's design, and make sure if fit.

On a somewhat related subject, I sold a VPP frame because the stack wasn't enough, and I purchased a DW Link 29er frame which was about 1 pound heavier than the lightest option (Rocky Mountain 999 RSL) because the geometry was spot on and I am DW Link fanboy.

Team Bionic Pickle
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    Any chance of test riding both?
    I wish. I've spent a day on VPP (a Tallboy) and a day on DW-Link (an Ibis Mojo) and I have a slight preference towards the spirited "get-up-and-go" feeling of the DWL.

Pulling the trigger on one of them today. My wife thinks I'm being lame for letting 3/4 of a pound affect the decision.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    That 3/4 pound paralysis by analysis will disappear once you realize there is no buyer remorse going with a DW Link bike. If you're not racing for money or battling for podium then a 3/4 pound difference is a moot point. Don't let marketing and trail ego decide bike purchase.

When I beat a buddy up a climb it's never because of 3/4 pound frame diff. It's because I'm in better shape. And when someone annihilates me on a bike weighing 6 pounds more and with a supposedly inferior rear suspension design it's a simple case of them being a better rider. Buy the bike that speaks to you, makes you open the door to the garage and go "oh, yeah, time to ride!"

Beside, it gives you more reasons to buy other bike stuff to lose that 3/4 pound....bonus points to me for not writing "lose that 3/4 pound off your body", ha.

mtbr member
    Yeah, these guys are right on, and I forgot about the Turner being made in the states, I would go with the Turner for sure!
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

jrm
    mtbr member
    No brainer, DWL instead of VPP. but again im bias.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

Team Bionic Pickle
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    ...bonus points to me for not writing "lose that 3/4 pound off your body", ha.
    Major bonus points, but I certainly wouldn't have held it against you for going there. Yeah - I need to dump that negligible weight factor from the decision process. Good advice.

Team Bionic Pickle
    And the Turner Flux 27.5 is the winner! Just ordered.

I think I knew it, but you guys certainly helped confirm it.

Thanks to all, and I'll post a pic and ride report later on!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Awesome choice. I gotta be honest I REALLY wanted to say Turner, however I refuse to do that due to the fact that it's up to you and I wouldn't want you second guessing.

I have an obsession with Turner bikes for some odd reason. I love SC as well but there is just something about a Turner.

mtbr member
    Flux with the special edition chrome finish!!

mtbr member
    I chose the Flux, all I need now is for the wheelbuilder to finish up and I'll be reporting back on how it rides.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by crawdad View Post
    I wish. I've spent a day on VPP (a Tallboy) and a day on DW-Link (an Ibis Mojo) and I have a slight preference towards the spirited "get-up-and-go" feeling of the DWL.

Pulling the trigger on one of them today. My wife thinks I'm being lame for letting 3/4 of a pound affect the decision.
    Keep in mind everything I've read about DWL is that can be very different from Manufacturer to Manufacturer. Dave even says it in interviews. When he works with a company on their bikes a lot depends on what they want of the bike, plusher ride or more firm etc.. So riding a Mojo DW link is not the same as riding a Turner is not the same as riding a Pivot.

And yes 3/4 of a lbs is a lame way to decide.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

It's about showing up.
    3/4 pounds gets my attention but it is one of many factors.

650b wheels lighter than 29er wheels was something I could directly feel accelerating out of the turn and that was 8-12 oz.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Congrats on the new bike. I'm sure you'll love it. I'm a big fan of Turner bikes and loved the Burner. Haven't ridden the Flux yet but hoping they have it at Outerbike. The 5010 I rode at Interbike was very, very good and I've got these two bikes at the top of my list as well so let us know what you think once you get it and get some rides in.
    Last edited by KRob; 09-28-2013 at 11:50 PM.

Team Bionic Pickle
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    ...so let us know what you think once you get it and get some rides in.
    Will do!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Which kit did you get? I can't decide if I want to spend another almost $2000 for xt/stan's over the mix with mavics and the oe fox fork. Turner said its still a great fork, just lacks the adjustability.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I agree with most of the posters, the Turners just ride incredible. I ride a converted SC Blur XCc, which I love and have no complaints, but if and when Turner decides to make a carbon( like their Czar) 27.5 bike, I'm on board.

Team Bionic Pickle
    Just getting the frame. Here's the parts: Fox Kashima 120 Fork, CK Headset, I9 wheels (32-hole laced to Arches), Ardent 2.25 Tires, X.9 1x10 drivetrain with e13 XCX chainguide (it will be XX1 later), XTR brakes, Enve Sweep Bar, Thomson Stem and Post, etc, etc...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Wow, sounds like a great build. Please post pics and give a good RR when you have her built up!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast