The frame I want

Printable View

  • 11-25-2012
    Entrenador
    The frame I want
    It's not a complete bike. It doesn't have pivots or a shock. It's not titanium or carbon. It's not under 3lbs. It's not $1000 or more.

    It's just a plain ol' beer can Santa Cruz Chameleon with appropriately spec'ed 650b swapouts.

    http://www.speedgoat.com/images/products/P-20134-4.jpg

    Is that really too much to ask?

    PS - Anyone have this frame in their shop, and happen to have a rear 650b wheel laying around? It seems pretty burly, so perhaps a legit 2.2" rear 650b would fit?
  • 11-25-2012
    JMac47
    Pretty sure it's tight fit
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Entrenador View Post
    It's not a complete bike. It doesn't have pivots or a shock. It's not titanium or carbon. It's not under 3lbs. It's not $1000 or more.

    It's just a plain ol' beer can Santa Cruz Chameleon with appropriately spec'ed 650b swapouts.

    http://www.speedgoat.com/images/products/P-20134-4.jpg

    Is that really too much to ask?

    PS - Anyone have this frame in their shop, and happen to have a rear 650b wheel laying around? It seems pretty burly, so perhaps a legit 2.2" rear 650b would fit?

    Although in the pic the upper seat stays look plenty big. Don't they have the horz sliding dropouts for runnung it SS, similar to the HighBalls?
  • 11-26-2012
    Entrenador
    Yeah, same dropouts as the Highball, but I'm hoping to use a derailleur as my B-rig will be shifter enabled.
  • 11-26-2012
    JMac47
    B rig?
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Entrenador View Post
    Yeah, same dropouts as the Highball, but I'm hoping to use a derailleur as my B-rig will be shifter enabled.

    :skep:
  • 11-26-2012
    Cruzilla
    boise craigs lists had one check it out
  • 12-07-2012
    veteran_youth
    CONFIRMED FIT!

    L frame, RaRa 2.25, Pacenti TL28, almost 1cm clearance in every direction.
  • 12-08-2012
    Entrenador
    post photos please
    Any chance you can snap some pictures? RaRa 2.25 isn't a huge tire, but if there's a full cm in each direction, then it should play nicely with the equivalent nobby nics, or something with a bit more volume (2.4 Nic maybe in the future?).

    Thanks for checking into it. :thumbsup:
  • 12-08-2012
    Entrenador
    [Not] Discontinued for 2013.

    I don't see this bike or frame on their site anymore. Not a big enough market I guess?
    [edit] It comes up in a Google search, but if I go directly to SC's site it doesn't come up. Hmmm...

    [edit again] Was using my netbook and for some reason the far right hard tail tab doesn't appear, lol. Glad its still a go.
  • 12-08-2012
    Morpheous
    Check the "store" frame clearance page on SC bicycles..They are on sale! :thumbsup: $350.00 all sizes in orange and gloss black....click to it below.. Your wish can come true!

    Santa Cruz Bicycles
  • 12-08-2012
    Entrenador
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Morpheous View Post
    Check the "store" frame clearance page on SC bicycles..They are on sale! :thumbsup: $350.00 all sizes in orange and gloss black....click to it below.. Your wish can come true!

    Santa Cruz Bicycles

    Ah, close! But that's the previous generation. Newer model has a 1* slacker head tube angle and takes a tapered steer tube (for the fork I already have).
  • 12-08-2012
    Morpheous
    Cane Creek Angleset may well fix that....
  • 12-08-2012
    veteran_youth
    http://forums.mtbr.com/picture.php?a...pictureid=9446

    FWIW i was just on the SC site and the Chameleon is still there, far right under the 'Hardtails' tab.
  • 12-08-2012
    Cracked Headtube
    What did the BB height become?
    Awesome find! I added it to the Google Drive list!
    follow it here: 650B Fit List
  • 12-08-2012
    veteran_youth
    To be honest, the SC bikes come partially assembled so the 1st thing I did was put it in the stand and jam the 650 wheel in to get the pic. But I then built it up with the rest of the stock R kit. If I get a chance in the near future I will measure it B'd out. Did measure the CS length with geared dropouts, I got about 16.75 axle to BB centre, not sure if SC measures horizontal for their geo chart or if it is just longer than claimed.

    I will also mention that the ultramarine colour is a lot darker in person than I thought it would be from the other pics I saw on MTBR. Pretty darn close to the 2012/2013 Tallboy C.
  • 12-08-2012
    Entrenador
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by veteran_youth View Post
    To be honest, the SC bikes come partially assembled so the 1st thing I did was put it in the stand and jam the 650 wheel in to get the pic. But I then built it up with the rest of the stock R kit. If I get a chance in the near future I will measure it B'd out. Did measure the CS length with geared dropouts, I got about 16.75 axle to BB centre, not sure if SC measures horizontal for their geo chart or if it is just longer than claimed.

    I will also mention that the ultramarine colour is a lot darker in person than I thought it would be from the other pics I saw on MTBR. Pretty darn close to the 2012/2013 Tallboy C.

    Man, this is great news! Stock, the BB height is listed at 12.4" with 491mm A-C (120mm fork I guess). I'm also interested in what BB height number you get, even if you just build it with the stock 26" wheels - we can figure it out from there easily enough. If the static BB height is 13" or just under that with 650b wheels, it should sit in a good range when weighted, no? I'm also considering 100mm fork with 650b wheels on this bike: ~69/73 should ride pretty good I'd think. But since you found some variation in the CS length, I'm going to wait for your BB numbers before pursuing this frame.
  • 12-09-2012
    dwt
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Morpheous View Post
    Cane Creek Angleset may well fix that....

    Also the simpler less expensive Works Components angled headset

    http://www.workscomponents.co.uk/
  • 12-09-2012
    JMac47
    100?
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Entrenador View Post
    Man, this is great news! Stock, the BB height is listed at 12.4" with 491mm A-C (120mm fork I guess). I'm also interested in what BB height number you get, even if you just build it with the stock 26" wheels - we can figure it out from there easily enough. If the static BB height is 13" or just under that with 650b wheels, it should sit in a good range when weighted, no? I'm also considering 100mm fork with 650b wheels on this bike: ~69/73 should ride pretty good I'd think. But since you found some variation in the CS length, I'm going to wait for your BB numbers before pursuing this frame.

    Seems like this bike would warrant the 120-130 it's designed for, 650 or 26, no??
  • 12-09-2012
    Entrenador
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Seems like this bike would warrant the 120-130 it's designed for, 650 or 26, no??

    I certainly would try it at 120mm first, and as long as I could climb efficiently on it, I'd leave it that way. To date, my best bikes riding (both climbing and descending) have shared a ~73* STA & a BB height in the low 12s. So I'm staying open to the idea of a 100mm fork to help find a position that stays close to these numbers. I suspect it would still handle very well at 100mm, for my purposes anyway.
  • 12-09-2012
    veteran_youth
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Entrenador View Post
    Man, this is great news! Stock, the BB height is listed at 12.4" with 491mm A-C (120mm fork I guess). I'm also interested in what BB height number you get, even if you just build it with the stock 26" wheels - we can figure it out from there easily enough. If the static BB height is 13" or just under that with 650b wheels, it should sit in a good range when weighted, no? I'm also considering 100mm fork with 650b wheels on this bike: ~69/73 should ride pretty good I'd think. But since you found some variation in the CS length, I'm going to wait for your BB numbers before pursuing this frame.

    Looks like 12.4 is pretty accurate +/- 0.1", and just under 13" B'd out. Most impressive though, is that my not particularly weight weenie 650 wheels (Hope/Pacenti TL28/DB spokes/RaRa tubeless) took 3 full pounds off the stock weight! 25.26 w/o pedals ain't bad with cheap/burly cockpit parts! Got some more crappy iphone pics will hopefully upload tonite.
  • 12-09-2012
    emu26
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Cracked Headtube View Post
    What did the BB height become?
    Awesome find! I added it to the Google Drive list!
    follow it here: 650B Fit List

    Nice looking spreadsheet, haven't seen that one before but I'm guessing by the dates it is a fairly new thing?

    Is it possible to add a column to it that has a link to where the info came from? This would allow people to click on the link and then see pics or whatever other relevant info the original poster has included that isn't able to be included in this document.

    Nice work CH.
  • 12-09-2012
    r1Gel
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by veteran_youth View Post
    http://forums.mtbr.com/picture.php?a...pictureid=9446

    FWIW i was just on the SC site and the Chameleon is still there, far right under the 'Hardtails' tab.

    Awesome :cool::thumbsup:
  • 12-13-2012
    JRR
    Anyone have pics with a nice size 650b in back with ss sliders moved all the way back? The geometry on this frame looks like it would make for a great bike with 100mm 650 fork and 650 or 26 rear. Thinking about picking up a frame and building it up as 26 with a 140mm fork since I have parts allready which looks like it would be fun too. Then converting the front to 650 and 100mm fork
  • 03-19-2013
    Entrenador
    Bump - Anyone riding a Chameleon on B-wheels and loving it?
  • 03-19-2013
    veteran_youth
    1 Attachment(s)
    Started putting a few miles on mine but winter isn't going away so they have been mostly (snowy) path and road rides, therefore can't give any real good feedback yet. Can definitely feel the slack HTA with a 120 fork though, and BB does feel high when I put a foot down at a stop. Lowering the fork would definitely improve both of these issues but I would like to see how it handles off-road like this before switching it up.

    Attachment 782743
  • 03-20-2013
    skidad
    Sweet frame and my only real concern (not having any HT experience) is the aluminum ride vs a steel HT. #'s look really good, especially the New England friendly near 13" BB height after converting to 650B wheels. I was really interested in the new Kona but the BB height is something I'm not willing to deal with in the endless rocks we have here. Is the aluminum ride that much more harsh than steel for those in the know?